PDA

View Full Version : Beaching your boat?

Hawkdriver
04-16-2011, 02:29 AM
Hey guys, I see alot of people beaching their boats and was curious what your thoughts are on this? I have a black bottom on my boat and figured that it would look like hell after a few times of doing this. Obviously if you hit rocks it'll cause some damage, but is the gelcoat strong enough to withstand beaching on sand?

jmvotto
04-16-2011, 07:03 AM
I have never beached my boat but we don't have sand, just shale and small rocks. Sand will scratch the bottom. Some on here use an anchor buddy system to keep the boat off shore but easily accessible with a bungee line.

lsvboombox
04-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Get hambys beah bumper if you plan to beach... it will help save the hull....

evoimport6
04-16-2011, 11:08 AM
I am always fearful of the fins on the bottom. Will they bend or get messed up if the boat gets rocked while on shore?

BensonWdby
04-17-2011, 07:50 PM
If you are in constatly calm water it may not be tto bad, but I ruined the gelcoat on my old runabout by beaching it all the time.

If you are in an area of wind chop or boat rollers the impact could be significantly worse.

newty
04-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I have a black bottom boat and beach the boat at least twice every time we have it out - but I live in Florida and the lake bottoms are fine sand

except for that one time we hit something - gouged the gel coat and bent the prop.

In Florida, if the carpet on your bunks exposes the wood, that's harder on the boat than beaching it...in my opinion.

When I'm ready to beach the boat, I typically head towards the shore at about 5- 6 mph, cut the engine off when I'm in about 3 feet of water, and allow the boat to gently come to a stop from the fins digging in.

I never allow the boat to go too far up on the beach. I like to be able to spin the boat around so people can enter or exit the boat via the swim platform.

Never beach the boat with ballast filled :)

Agreed, I gently beach all the time. The bunks on my trailer scratch my hull far worse than sand.

BensonWdby
04-17-2011, 11:27 PM
What I meant was if you have your boat beach your boat gently - pulling it in by hand - and it's just sitting there undisturbed - the risk is fair to minimal (IMHO).

But if it is sitting beached and there is a constant set of rollers or wind chop hitting the shore, then the boat rides up/down - in/out and its like running 60 grit sandpaper on your hull.

Razzman
04-17-2011, 11:44 PM
Never beached any boat boat and never will, just my pref. Stern in with an anchor buddy does it for me. Besides not a lake anywhere near me has a beach with sand in Cali.

Hawkdriver
04-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Some good insight guys. I think for now I'll stay clear of the dry land. My boat is still too new for me to be crying over scratches already. Beaching would be so much easier since I can rarely get the anchor to hold at the local hang-out spot due to the soft bottom.

BensonWdby
04-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Use a different kind of anchor. A river anchor, one with two pointed blades that pivot may work better for you?

bhowell
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Subscribing. I beached my boat a few times on the River and it seems fine unless there are waves / rollers. I think you need a sand stake to tie off the boat so current doesn't free the boat (anchor doesnt work onshore for this).

viking
04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
What I meant was if you have your boat beach your boat gently - pulling it in by hand - and it's just sitting there undisturbed - the risk is fair to minimal (IMHO).

But if it is sitting beached and there is a constant set of rollers or wind chop hitting the shore, then the boat rides up/down - in/out and its like running 60 grit sandpaper on your hull.

Agree and my MO as well. If there is any chance of rollers or rocking and banging on the shore then it gets the box anchor and anchor buddy treatment! Guests can get wet get to and from the boat :)

sandm
04-18-2011, 02:51 PM
never beached, as we are spoiled here with docks(if you are up early enough in the am). never will as our beaches are full of rocks. I'd follow vikings and many others on here. sand spike and box anchor.

trevormcfar
04-22-2011, 02:52 AM
If you plan to keep your boat for over 15 years, don't beach it. Over time, the sand is like sandpaper & will eventually cause damage (although all is cosmetic)...

Take care of your boat and it will take care of you.... Our last boat before we purchased the XLV was a 1980 Sunrunner... Looks new even to this day! Lots of love over the years, but its worth it!

Just my .25 worth.