PDA

View Full Version : less boating this summer :(

sandm
04-14-2011, 11:27 AM
well, was out working on the chain link fence on the house I am living in right now. dudes around the neighborhood have used it in the past as a shortcut to golds gym, as I live right behind it. got the trespassing fixed, but fence was somewhat torn down. long story short, the round metal top bar snapped back and popped me in the mouth. sitting here now all hopped up on Norco and am sans my 3 front top teeth. $690 at the dentist and 5hrs last night, and talking 4-6k for bridge or implants...

guess on the positive side, one of them had a filling on the front that was starting to discolor, so really wanted a new crown anyway :)

heading back to work tomorrow and don't pick up my temp teeth until friday night, so I'm sure the nicknames will start..

viking
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
OH S*#t that sucks!
Must have been a day yesterday as my wife left the dentist in tears because she needs an implant too (they say $4500 for 1).
Long story short she had veneers done about 6 years ago and 1 problem after another with root canals, nubs falling off and such she is now having to replace them 1 by one with implants and/or bridge. The dentist didn't say anything about this being a possibility. Her smile has cost us alot :(

Get out as much as you can and hope you get healed up quick!

dusty2221
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Don't bite off more than you can chew!!

Sorry, had too! That really blows man, teeth pain is the worst, I'll wish the best for you!

KG's Supra24
04-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Dang man, I hate to hear that. Hope everything turns around soon!

cowboyl
04-14-2011, 12:49 PM
ya dude , that sucks...i busted my front 2 top teeth out on a snowmobile STEEL mountain handle bar (hurt like hell) when i was 19 and 10 yrs later they failed...i now have a 4 place bridge which cost 10k....thank god for workers comp......so i know all the pain your in ...been there done that ....got the scars to prove it. :) take care you will be healing for a while

kaneboats
04-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Dang it, Huck, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you considered moving to Alabama and just spending the money on gas?

wolfeman131
04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
dang you kane! gotta clean soda out of my nose, off the keyboard & will have to change my shirt!

sandm - sorry for the mishap & associated cost.

newty
04-14-2011, 02:16 PM
OUCH! Tooth (or lack of tooth) pain sucks! Sorry to hear that! You better sell that boat and get a camo fishing boat! Then you won't have to get the teeth fixed.:p

I was at Havasu and dove out of my buddies offshore boat and hit a sand bar 3 feet below the water. Luckily my head went into my chest instead of my back or I'd be in a wheelchair. When I hit I had clenched my teeth, so when my chin hit my chest it thrusted my jaw forward and sheered both my bottom and top front teeth halfway off from the impact. I also had chips all over in my mouth including my molars. It took a week before I could even get to the dentist. Talk about some serious pain.
So dude I know your pain, I was wincing as I read your post.
Hope you feel better soon.

kaneboats
04-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Every time I get an injury or surgery I make sure to stash a couple of Vicodin for emergency use. If you don't have to wait for serious pain medicine it really takes the teeth out of it.

Ian Brantford
04-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Ow! Sympathies all around.

newty
04-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Oh by the way we need pics or it didn't happen!:)

I'm thinking you need a new "handle" and we should have a contest for the best new name.

I'll throw in "Fence Fighter"

zabooda
04-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Sorry to hear that sandm. I chose implants over a bridge on my latest dental work since insurance didn't pay anything and the cost was close to the same. When I get real old and all my teeth fall out at least I have mounts for something more permanent than dentures.

Since that was an accident I wonder if your homeowners or health insurance will pay?

Mikey
04-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Hockey pucks and teeth don't mix. I got hit years ago and sheared one top front tooth. Got a build up to fix and low and behold a couple years later another puck. Now 2 front teeth sheared in half with many years of buildups doing ok till last year one tooth died so root canals and now 2 Crowns. I feel you pain!!!! Hope all goes well. Oh BTW after 2nd time getting teeth fixed my dentist made me a custom mouth gard FREE!!! Can ya believe it? I now Always wear it when playing hockey.

jmvotto
04-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Sandm, that really blows. Mouth injuries hurt like a mother.... And take a long time to fix. My buddy had a front tooth finally fall out after getting hit in the mouth with a baseball in high school.. They made him a mouth piece with the fake from tooth until it was ready, couple weeks later.

Kane you make me laugh...

Tell them at work you tried out for the UFC and it did not go so well...

get better soon.

deerfield
04-14-2011, 11:11 PM
Have you considered moving to Alabama and just spending the money on gas?

Hey, what's with pickin' on Alabama?

sandm
04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Dang it, Huck, I'm sorry to hear that. Have you considered moving to Alabama and just spending the money on gas?

I think you're onto something there :)

I'd still need some teeth to chew. perhaps there's a good wood worker there....

kaneboats
04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm so glad you can joke about it. I'm sure it hurts like heck and is a major expense and inconvenience. We'll add you to the prayer list.

newty
04-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Good call Kane!

What about Ridge Runner?:p

sandm
04-15-2011, 12:42 PM
doesn't hurt at all today. not much you can do about it but laugh. the financial pain sucks, but it is what it is..
not many jokes at work today, but I don't get temp teeth until tuesday am so I'm sure the jokes will roll on monday..

going to be wierd to remember to not only take my sunglasses off before surfing, but to pull my teeth out :)
wonder how ed would feel not about wearing shoes in the boat, but spare teeth laying around on the dash...

Grant M
04-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey sorry to hear about the mishap! :(
I feel your pain, got a goalie stick in the bottom jaw about 12 yrs ago and split it in half, popped two teeth out roots and all. Had the jaw wired shut for 6 weeks and lost 20 lbs. I have a bridge glued in and it's only had to be glued back in 9 times....

ptcbtchr
04-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Sorry to hear about that happening. My daughter broke her jaw a little over a year ago (dropped during a dance rehearsal) and was wired for 6 weeks and bands for another 4. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Good to see you are in good spirits and I hate you have to spend boating money on tooth repair. I thing there is a dental conspiracy in this country lol. Anyway, get well soon

Mark

2007 Outback V
04-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear as well. As a lot of members have said, teeth injuries are no fun. I've had my fair share of incidents as well, trampoline, failed root canals, suppose to get implants, but too expensive . Might be cheaper for me to move the family to AL as kane suggests, then I get a longer boating season too! ;)

Hope everything works out for you.

sandm
04-16-2011, 08:32 PM
I see a trip to mexico in my future. dental work in this country is horribly overpriced. going to do my due diligence and probably head down there next year. about 35% of what it will cost here on average.

jmvotto
04-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Not sure if you will have to worry about your teeth, they like to decapitate Americans down there. Go to Canada... much safer.