PDA

View Full Version : So what happens if.....

wakeflip
04-14-2011, 12:25 AM
....your 05 outback lsv is 'rated' for ten people, and you get stopped by the Ga DNR with 15 people in the boat? I had 15 life jackets so that wasnt a problem. But do you have to keep it under the recommended amount of people or will I get ticketed for going over?

Ian Brantford
04-14-2011, 02:43 AM
The actual measure is usually by weight. There should be a capacity plate on your boat that gives the weight limit that includes people, fuel and gear.

Of course, that doesn't override any need for gear. Many places also specify that the jackets must fit the passengers. With 15 people in an Outback, would I be right in thinking that many were kids? The jackets should be size/weight-appopriate.

wakeflip
04-14-2011, 03:10 AM
The actual measure is usually by weight. There should be a capacity plate on your boat that gives the weight limit that includes people, fuel and gear.

Of course, that doesn't override any need for gear. Many places also specify that the jackets must fit the passengers. With 15 people in an Outback, would I be right in thinking that many were kids? The jackets should be size/weight-appopriate.

Well, my ballast alone exceeds the posted weight limit :rolleyes: And no, that was 15 adults. It was party weekend and my boat was PACKED out. Threw an awsome wake though :p But the vests where all adult size. I never did get stopped obviously, but I was just wondering what they would do incase the situation happens again.

deafgoose
04-14-2011, 03:15 AM
Got any pics. That would be hillarious.

The most I could fit comfortably in my OBV was 10.

I could not imagine 5 more people. lol

mcdye
04-14-2011, 06:10 AM
I read where there is talk about risng the caculation wieght. Right now it is a 140lb person, changing to 180lb.

New Guy
04-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Got any pics. That would be hillarious.

The most I could fit comfortably in my OBV was 10.

I could not imagine 5 more people. lol

I had 10 in my 02 LSV and we were packed in. We had a cube cooler with us and I don't think that we could have had anybody else in if we wanted. I have no idea how you got 15 in.

kaneboats
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
There was a heated discussion about weight in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13861&highlight=capacity

Unfortunately, if you have that many you will attract their attention. Then, you are probably at their mercy because they have "discretion" to decide what looks unsafe to them. Unless it's a bunch of little kids all wearing their life preservers you are probably taking a day or more off work to fight a ticket.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
There was a heated discussion about weight in this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13861&highlight=capacity

Unfortunately, if you have that many you will attract their attention. Then, you are probably at their mercy because they have "discretion" to decide what looks unsafe to them. Unless it's a bunch of little kids all wearing their life preservers you are probably taking a day or more off work to fight a ticket.

Yup. On our lakes, you are already attracting attention if you have a wake boat. Add more than 7-8 people in it and you are to cops as a pile of melted marshmallows is to a fly. ( seen this happen :) )

Or run with your tower light out on fourth of july at 11pm back to the ramp. Granted I didn't know it was out until it was dark. DNR pulled me over and gave me one of those glow sticks to tie to the top. When they pulled me over they told me they were glad to see lifejackets on my girls. They said that they stop people all day long that are running the boat without vests on children. All our vests our of the right size, but for what its worth they didn't check.

jester
05-02-2011, 11:44 AM
What you do is put 5 people in the back storage areas. Cop can only see 10 and your good. J/K do not do that.

It really depends on what you are doing and who stops you. I have been in overloaded boats several times and the cops just stopped us to check life vests then say you need to get back to the dock and unload a few people. That could have been the water line was almost over the side and if a duck crossed our path its wake would have put water into the boat.