PDA

View Full Version : Exile Cabin Speakers Upgrade & More...

jmeacham
04-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Whoa! What a difference these upgrades will make for the '11 season! I cant want to get out there!

The stock Kenwood speakers just weren't cutting it any longer. Not to mention the horrible setup that we had in the boat. I had some upgrades added a couple seasons ago and they were done on the cheap, so it was time to pull it all out and start with a clean slate. The quality was just "dirty". Never could find the right balance between Cabin/Tower/Volume/Quality.

That is all behind us now!

Additions this Spring:
Exile SX65c x 6 in the cabin
Exile x1800.4 Amp
Clarion EQS744
Sirius Radio Kit (No more mobile unit, yay!)
WiFi Access Point & AirPlay (iPad & iPhone connectivity via WiFi!)
Street Wire Power/Ground Distribution
2nd Deep Cycle Battery with Perko Switch
Power inverter / Toggle Switch (For WiFi)

None Audio upgrades - Window Tint and Complete Detail!

YouTube Demonstration of iPad connected to boat via WiFi using AirPlay!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzHW1qCEScg
(Sorry for the poor quality, used Cell Phone video, more to come)

I have to give HUGE kudos to Dennis Myers at Liquid Trends (Northbay), as he did a tremendous job with not only the upgrades, but tuning the re-used equipment as well! My budget didn't allow for a total replacement of the Kenwood & Bazooka Amp's. He manged to tune these as well as installing the Exile SX65c's and Exile XI800.4. AN AMAZING TRANSFORMATION!

Managed to fit the new equipment in the boat without a loss of storage, this makes the rest of the family happy as well!

I have more pictures I'll post as a reply to the thread!

Jeff

jmeacham
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Spring Upgrade pictures continued...

bhowell
04-13-2011, 04:30 PM
WiFi Access Point & AirPlay (iPad & iPhone connectivity via WiFi!)

YouTube Demonstration of iPad connected to boat via WiFi using AirPlay!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzHW1qCEScg

I'm at work and can't watch the video yet but I'm curious how he integrated the AirPort Express. I have been thinking about a permanent way to do this after I tried using an airport last weekend. My setup then was a cigarette plug ac adapter with the airport plugged into it with an aux cable from the airport to the head unit. Eventually want to get a waterproof case for an Ipod touch and then we will be golden.

bergermaister
04-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Video is just a demo of it working - I'd like to see how you did this as well. Sounds much better than stringing wires and mini stereo plugs all over the boat...

Razzman
04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Nice additions! One queston, do you actually have that Exile amp mount to the floor? If so I would seriously consider moving it asap. One roller over the bow and you'll loose that amp!

MeachDog
04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm at work and can't watch the video yet but I'm curious how he integrated the AirPort Express. I have been thinking about a permanent way to do this after I tried using an airport last weekend. My setup then was a cigarette plug ac adapter with the airport plugged into it with an aux cable from the airport to the head unit. Eventually want to get a waterproof case for an Ipod touch and then we will be golden.

Yeah, vid currently only shows use of AirPlay on the iPad. Love it!

Dennis @ Liquid Trends did the install of the power inverter and placed the toggle switch above the key / ignition. In the picture below, you can see the red toggle. So it's a very clean permanent installation.

I'll get some pictures of the inverter, etc. and post them.

MeachDog
04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Nice additions! One queston, do you actually have that Exile amp mount to the floor? If so I would seriously consider moving it asap. One roller over the bow and you'll loose that amp!

Razz, good question. It's not actually on the floor. It's been mounted to it's own color matched board and placed just behind the break from the front seat/stow area where the battery originally was. I'd have to take on some serious water all at once (and we've done it before, no doubt), to take out the amp. NO POWER TURNS

jmeacham
04-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Razz, good question. It's not actually on the floor. It's been mounted to it's own color matched board and placed just behind the break from the front seat/stow area where the battery originally was. I'd have to take on some serious water all at once (and we've done it before, no doubt), to take out the amp. NO POWER TURNS

Ha! Just realized that I somehow was logged in with an old account name. Anyway, MeachDog and JMeacham are one in the same. :rolleyes:

bhowell
04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Yeah, vid currently only shows use of AirPlay on the iPad. Love it!

Dennis @ Liquid Trends did the install of the power inverter and placed the toggle switch above the key / ignition. In the picture below, you can see the red toggle. So it's a very clean permanent installation.

I'll get some pictures of the inverter, etc. and post them.

Any more pics? What is the toggle switch for?

jmeacham
04-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Any more pics? What is the toggle switch for?

Here are a couple more pics -

The toggle switch is for the power inverter, which is powering the Apple AirPort Express.

This is all tucked up under the helm area (you can see my sub enclosure to the right as well).

Sound quality from the AirPort via AirPlay is amazing!

bhowell
04-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Cool! Thanks.

Here are a couple more pics -

The toggle switch is for the power inverter, which is powering the Apple AirPort Express.

This is all tucked up under the helm area (you can see my sub enclosure to the right as well).

Sound quality from the AirPort via AirPlay is amazing!

mmandley
04-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Nice man. This is off topic but where did you get the strips to mount those with. I have been looking for those strips with holes in them because i need to make a bracket for my exhaust on the truck. I don't want to weld it in place and the tip is so heavy it keeps slipping and tilting down.

Brianinpdx
04-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Jm - Looks really good. I understand from Dennis there is a part II in the works for the towers at some point. He told me the amp was mounted that way because you'll swap it around in the part II.

I'm glad I could connect you with a retailer that would support your needs. They are good guys out there in Northbay.

Welcome to the Exile family!

-Brian
Exile Audio

viking
04-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Nice man. This is off topic but where did you get the strips to mount those with. I have been looking for those strips with holes in them because i need to make a bracket for my exhaust on the truck. I don't want to weld it in place and the tip is so heavy it keeps slipping and tilting down.

Plumber's tape? You can find it at Home Depot or Lowes or the like. Of course a plumbing suppy company would carry it too! I just don't know if you'd want to use it for your exhaust - some of it is fairly flimsy

newty
04-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Jmeachem, Looks great! Great idea using the apple stuff. Enjoy the Exile goodies!

Hey bro check your local stereo shop... They should have bins of that stuff laying around.

jmeacham
04-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Jm - Looks really good. I understand from Dennis there is a part II in the works for the towers at some point. He told me the amp was mounted that way because you'll swap it around in the part II.

I'm glad I could connect you with a retailer that would support your needs. They are good guys out there in Northbay.

Welcome to the Exile family!

-Brian
Exile Audio

Thanks Brian! Glad to be a part of the Exile family!

Dennis did a great job! Looking forward to phase II mid summer with the tower upgrade!

Jeff

bhowell
05-14-2011, 11:47 AM
How is the AirTunes working out for you now that you've had it a little while?

I just bought a power inverter for a more permanent install of my airport express like yours.

Do you have a waterproof case for an iPod Touch or an iPhone for when your anchored up?

I just bought this one so that I can take the source with me into the water.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G5A4JA