PDA

View Full Version : Ballst Bags pump air lock

seanpatsdad
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem I have.My ballst pump will not fill the bags for the first time of the day sitting idle.I have to take the boat up to speed then turn on the switch.I fill the center locker bag first then the back side bags.I also fill only one bag at a time[seems to fill them up faster this way].Anyone else have this same situation.Thanks for any info.
John

Lake Bound
02-01-2005, 08:54 PM
We have had the same problem with our bags. I have a 2002 Outback LS and the pumps are not self priming so the water needs to be forced from the forward movement of the boat in order for the pumps to prime. I am trying to change my pumps out to a different type because it is such a hassle.

seanpatsdad
02-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Let me know what you go with if it works.Thanks.
John

lowdrag
02-03-2005, 01:53 AM
Same problem here and many other have voiced the same in the past. I usually just turn the pumps on for a minute to prime them when I'm motoring out to where I'm boarding at. They seem to be fine after that.

seanpatsdad
02-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Lowdrag
I have tried that but it seems on my boat that does not work.I have to be going at least 20 -25 to get the water flowing.Thanks.
John

noneya
02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
Its not really a problem, its just the way the pumps work. I usually run up to about 30 to get to where I want to board and run the pumps, then we can sit and they will still fill.

clark
02-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Does it hurt anything to fill them while you are cruising at 25-30 MPH. If not, that seems to be the answer. How long does it take to fill and empty the standard front and rear bags on an LSV?

One more important question. Once the bags are full, does the pump continue to try and pump water into the bags? I guess part of my question is ,,,, do most of you open up the covers to determine when to turn off the switches? How do you gauge it. I have never owned a boat before that had any type of ballast. This is all new to me.

Clark

seanpatsdad
02-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Clark
When the bags are full they automatically spill over the empty tube side.That is how you Know they are full.It is not a pain to speed up to fill.It is just were I live you have to idle out to the main part of the lake.This would be a good time to fill the bags and get ready to ski.But at idle the angle of the boat does not purge the pump.Also if you got a new boat with this system make sure the hoses are hooked up correctly.Mine were backwards.And also RTV the threads of the plastic fittings going into the bags.Mine leaked like crazy to the point were the bilge pump would come on.Once I sealed the threads no more water in the bilge at all.I bought my boat new last year and put about 120 hours on it and this was the only problem.Sorry for the long wind statement.
John

clark
02-03-2005, 03:42 PM
OK John, help me out a bit.

I too need to idle out to the main channel... I also thought that would be a good time to fill them. There are several things I need for you to clarify for me.

What do you mean by:
1. empty tube side
2. purge the pump
3. how would I know if they were backwards
4. RTV the fittings - is that a sealant?

Also, should you remove those hoses during the winterization process to be sure no water problems?

Sorry for so many questions, but I will be getting my LSV this month and I want to be ready.

Thanks,
Clark

Dave A
02-03-2005, 04:41 PM
The owner's manual addresses the pump problem. It says that air may get trapped in the system, and it may be necessary to run the boat at planing speeds to force water into the system and allow the fill pump to prime fully. After it is primed you should be able to fill the ballast while moving or sitting still. The air probably gets into the system while the boat is being towed on the trailer. I don't know that a new pump will help. It is probably just an inherant problem with the system.

seanpatsdad
02-03-2005, 06:34 PM
What do you mean by:
1. empty tube side
2. purge the pump
3. how would I know if they were backwards
4. RTV the fittings - is that a sealant

Clark,This system has 1 pump to fill all 3 bags[higher volume][even though you have three switches,on the fill side of the switch they all work the same pump] and 1 each pump to empty the bags[lower volume pump]When I say the empty tube side,that is the tube that each bag has with it's own pump to empty the bag out.When the bag is full it will dribble out the side of the boat that it is on.When you hit the pump to empty it shoots out of there.You will tell the difference.
2.Purge the Pump.What I mean by this is just taking the boat to about 20 mph and turning on the bag fill switch.It pushes the water into the pump pickup and pushes out the air.
3.When I got my boat,I would fill the bags and they would never fill all the way.The dealer had the fill and empty tubes crossed.
4.RTV,I just used permatex silicone sealant[oranage]found at any Napa or parts house.

Dave A,Even when I get on plane I have to turn the pump on and off a couple of times to get the water in.Once I do it once it is fine for the rest of the day.I am not bit##ing about this,just wondering if there is a fix.
John

lowdrag
02-04-2005, 03:48 AM
Just had another quick thought that might help in your particular problem. I wasn't aware initially it was no wake where you wanted to fill the bags. I wonder if leaving a little water in them instead of pumping them dry at the end of the day would solve the problem.

Buttafewcoe
02-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Nope. Leaving water in the bags won't help. The pump needs to be primed. When you take the boat out of the water, the inlet drains water out. That's why once you initially prime the pump, it stays primed.... until you take the boat out of the water again.
If it's that big a problem, install a check valve on the inside of the boat, by the water intake, before the pump. That should help quite a bit.
Jim
Hickory, N.C. :)

Kraig
02-17-2005, 10:24 PM
This is a problem I am having too! I hate it! We have to keep opening the compartments and listening for water being pumped into the bags. A pain in my opinion. Someone above said that it's just something that you have to deal with or something along those lines. Wrong! I have talked to many people who DON'T have this problem. I've also talked to a dealer who doesn't have this problem with his boats. The dealers say that the Rule 2000 pump is one of the best on the market. Not my opinion. There are many self priming pumps on the market. I am considering going to a Ballast Puppy pump. This problem needs to be rectified!!!! SC, what's being done to address this problem?

Kraig