PDA

View Full Version : Back out on it

skiyaker
04-12-2011, 08:59 PM
went wakeboarding back on march 19 but on a lake with a speed limit so no skiing. Finally got back to the course last weekend to work on some things they taught me at the Swiss ski school last feb. I had a few problems- #1 it was my first time skiing in the dry suit- felt very awkward at first. #2 stamina isn't there- made two "mini sets" of 4 passes each and was gassed in the 4th pass each time.

between the clinic I went to last summer and my lesson at Swiss I have about 10 things to work on and it's a little hard to prioritize- I picked just a few things to focus on- hips/upper body more square to the boat coming across the wake- look down the course, handle low and closer to body-all in effort of keeping the ski tip engaged on my offside turn- and in review of my pictures I actually didn't do a great at those things. But I had fun and didn't injure myself which for me is what it's about at this point in the season.

viking
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
great pics..........now i'm itching even more to get out :)

jmvotto
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm jealous;)

deerfield
04-13-2011, 12:01 AM
ski - You are the man! Way to go! Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll get my Outback ready for summer. - Deerfield

BensonWdby
04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Concsidering the first time in the dry suit and first run of the year I would not beat yourself up too much. I am thinking that the dry suit would be like always running a headwind... This might stand you up and get you back o the ski???

Congrats on getting out. As of sunday we still had plenty of ice....

ptcbtchr
04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Looks great to me especially for first time out and in a dry suit. I skied in Pittsburgh for years and know how cumbersome a dry suit can be. Makes me miss my slalom course (now defunct) as to me that is the ultimate test of skiing. As to endurance, I can understand, I'm pushing fifty and I can't hang like I use to.

Great job and loved the photo's

Mark

harmsway
04-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Ski some great pics. A few weeks ago was our 1st time out and man it was all I could do to get up and make a few cuts I felt so out of shape. Then we went out last weekend and I hit the wakeboard pretty hard and then tried to ski....did happen. So I tried surfing for the 1st time, now that is going to be a great sport when you are wore out at the end of the day. Can't wait to get some rope time in to build my endurance.

skiyaker
04-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys-Dave the drysuit did indeed feel a lot like a headwind, but I think I was also having problems with mobility as I was wearing layers underneath. ptcbtchr- last year was my first year skiing the course and now I'm an addict but it's hard for me to let go of those open water habits. harms- I surf on occasion mostly behind my neighbors supra- you're right it's great when your worn out but I really don't get much from it. For me it's about the acceleration- you guys all know what I'm talking about- that moment when the ski bites coming out of the turn.

Mikey
04-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Way to go. As for skiing in a drysuit especially this early in the season i think its more about stamina and just getting your legs back etc.I don't start to worry about details the first couple times out at all just work on stamina and basic ballance over the ski etc. In a drysuit yes you are encumbered ,so just enjoy the fact your out skiing and soon enough you will feel back to almost where you left off,Then you can start pushing yourself and start worrying about form ,without the risk of injury.
I know the feeling wanting to RIP IT trying to better what you did lasst season ,but be careful,It will come. We are probably still another month to 6 weeks till we can ski so enjoy for the rest of us.

schuylski
04-15-2011, 06:28 PM
nice pics!

slalom course with a dry suit sounds really encumbering...