PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the Prop

E4NASH
04-12-2011, 09:37 AM
So, after my first weekend out on the boat I need to have my prop repaired. I don't have a prop puller so I may be forced to bring the entire boat up to the prop shop so they can pull the prop for me. Do any of you have a method of removing the prop without the use of a prop puller or prop removal kit?

bbuhtz
04-12-2011, 10:16 AM
that is correct Ed... you simply apply heat (propane torch) to the portion of the prop in contact with the shaft and the prop will just slide right off. you will laugh to yourself when you do it because it literately falls right off. this technique is commonly used in large shipyards.

bbuhtz
04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
make sure the prop doesn't fall off without someone to grab it or catch it... on my boat usually takes roughly 5 seconds to loosen and come off, so be ready to grab it.

bbuhtz
04-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I always make sure to leave the shaft nut on (after loosening it).

that works too! :)

STANG KILLA SS
04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
yep heat and some hammer blows to the hub with a piece of wood or cutting board material works everytime. when you reinstall it put it on MUCH looser.

pickle311
04-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I just pulled my prop off this weekend with a prop puller and it was a pain. The prop puller didn't pull it right off, I had to beat the life out of it. I didn't even think about heating it, but will keep that in mind for next time.

E4NASH
04-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Awesome! Thanks guys! I will see about finding a propane torch.

E4NASH
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Found a torch. Now when I need to put it back on is there any special trick? Do I just slide it on and tighten the nut?

STANG KILLA SS
04-12-2011, 11:41 AM
yep. just dont over tighten the nut! for next time ;)
get it to were the prop is all the way on the shaft and seated. then screw the nut on until it just touches. then only give it another 360 spin or two then put the cotter pin on. this will make it easy to take off next time. the prop and shaft is keyed so it cannon spin and tightness is not needed.

DOCDRS
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Heat the side closest to the strut, a large open end wrench on the prop hub and a few taps should pop it off if the heat doesn't do it by itself. I wouldn't hit too hard either shaft or prop hub as your putting strain on Vdrive or tranny

kaneboats
04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Does putting heat on it change the finish color of the prop at all?

bbuhtz
04-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Does putting heat on it change the finish color of the prop at all?

no, not unless you held heat on the prop at point blank and are looking for a color change or deformation to happen. even then after it is cooled and cleaned with alcohol or something you would have your color again.

DOCDRS
04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
If yoow pwop bee instawed on hot day and yuuu take off on a kooold day it be way hawder......Confusious 1632

E4NASH
04-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Ok, buddy with the torch fell through unless I find one at Home Depot. Any other bright ideas? Do I HAVE to have heat?

DOCDRS
04-12-2011, 06:49 PM
go get yourself a $15 propane torch, last time I needed the prop puller plus a torch ,that sucka was on so tight

E4NASH
04-12-2011, 06:50 PM
No, but Home Depot does...Hair dryer??

DOCDRS
04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
forget the hair dryer or heat gun, get a torch, go big or go home

Hoopskier
04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Ok, buddy with the torch fell through unless I find one at Home Depot. Any other bright ideas? Do I HAVE to have heat?

No, you could luck out, as I did, take the nut off and be able to pull the prop off by hand. For me, the prop had been removed at least once by the prior owner, because he said that he had replaced it.

You should be able to find a small propane or butane torch in the plumbing section of home deport (or similar store). Should work for your task.

Take the nut of and see what happens. Maybe a few light taps with a hammer. It the case of your prop, what are you going to do, damage it?:rolleyes:

KG's Supra24
04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Harbor Freight has heat guns for $12. That was a purchase I thought id only use once but turns out I use it often!

bbuhtz
04-13-2011, 08:00 AM

yes you need heat if your going to try to pull the prop this route vs. using a prop puller or some other method. you need to be able to heat the material in order for it to expand, hence why its so easy to take the prop off this route. seriously you can just about find a small torch anywhere... gas stations, walmart, hell the pharmacy might have them! :rolleyes: git'r'done!

E4NASH
04-13-2011, 09:44 AM
OK so I show up to work today with a boat behind my truck so I can take it to the prop shop to have them pull the prop. That nut was on so tight that neither me nor my dad could get it loose without worry of damaging the shaft. When I get this prop back on there is no way I will put it on as tight as it is now. Jeez!

E4NASH
04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Took the boat to the prop shop on my lunch break. 2 hours later I had to leave it there because despite their using a flamethrower like torch and beating the crap out of the prop it WILL NOT come off!! :mad: I am at a loss and have no idea why this thing won't come off. Then if it does come off how do I make sure when I put it abck on that I don't have this trouble again. This is RIDICULOUS!

wolfeman131
04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow, that sucks. But look on the bright side, if they can't get it off then you know you saved yourself last night from buying a torch and being completely frustrated that you couldn't "pop" it off. Some things are easier said, than done.

E4NASH
04-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Wow, that sucks. But look on the bright side, if they can't get it off then you know you saved yourself last night from buying a torch and being completely frustrated that you couldn't "pop" it off. Some things are easier said, than done.

Well, now at this point I am really concerned about the drive shaft and transmission with all the beating the prop is taking as they try and get it off. Should I be concerned or are those components pretty tough?

I am totally preparing myself to have to replace the drive shaft after this... :mad:

If it can happen...it will happen to me... ugh

bbuhtz
04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
wow man, sorry to hear this... perfect example of why i never let shops touch my toys.

kaneboats
04-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Were they just beating on it or were they actually using a puller along with the heat. It's important to understand the difference. The puller pulls against the center of the shaft. If you just beat on the prop you are beating everything all the way up. I would think tightening up the puller and applying heat and then tapping would get it off of there. I just don't see how it couldn't work.

sandm
04-13-2011, 03:51 PM
fwiw, this is what I have used to pull my prop 2x..
$15.99 at harbor freight and if you find the 20% off coupons that are everywhere, under $13.

oh ya, forgot, only works on 4blade :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_7467.jpg

E4NASH
04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Were they just beating on it or were they actually using a puller along with the heat. It's important to understand the difference. The puller pulls against the center of the shaft. If you just beat on the prop you are beating everything all the way up. I would think tightening up the puller and applying heat and then tapping would get it off of there. I just don't see how it couldn't work.

They were using a puller and it wouldn't budge. Then they'd heat it up again and then knock it a few times with a mallet. I mean it moved a little but not like was described in this thread about it sliding right off. I mean there almost has to be something wrong for it to be this difficult for it to come off. Either that or there is something else holding it on.

If they don't have it off by the time I get off work at 5:00 I'm taking it over to the dealer and I guess just dumping a ridiculous amount of $ to get this fixed correctly. The dealer I bought it from is 200 miles away. I'm going to take it to the local Moomba dealer.

I'm sure the shop will have screwed something else up and it will be more than the prop. If you can't tell I'm EXTREMELY frustrated and angry about this whole thing right now. A simple prop issue is turning into a NIGHTMARE!

harmsway
04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
It is possible when you hit the trailer with the prop it spun the prop on the drive shaft which would intern cause the woodruff key to bind into the prop. If this happened it would be a major beotch to get off.

I hope your luck turns around. Things like this can turn you off from boating.
Hang in there!

E4NASH
04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
It is possible when you hit the trailer with the prop it spun the prop on the drive shaft which would intern cause the woodruff key to bind into the prop. If this happened it would be a major beotch to get off.

I hope your luck turns around. Things like this can turn you off from boating.
Hang in there!

That is probably EXACTLY what happened! If that's the case can the key be reused to put the prop back on or will I need to get a new one?

I'm just hoping that whatever is being done to get it off doesn't hurt anything else. Costs will end up spiraling out of control and then that will ultimately cost me boating time...

STANG KILLA SS
04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
on my SN2001 i had a puller but it wasnt near enough. it took a whole day, a puller, a 3lb sledge, mapp gas torch (1500+ degrees) and LOTS of HARD banging. never hurt anything though.

harmsway
04-13-2011, 08:10 PM
That is probably EXACTLY what happened! If that's the case can the key be reused to put the prop back on or will I need to get a new one?

I'm just hoping that whatever is being done to get it off doesn't hurt anything else. Costs will end up spiraling out of control and then that will ultimately cost me boating time...

You most likely will need a new woodruff key if this is the case. If the person is carefull when hitting the prop and makes sure they hit only the prop straight on and not at an angle or don't hit the shaft I believe any other damage should not accure. The main thing is who ever is doing the to take there time.

E4NASH
04-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Prop still not off. Bit the bullet this morning and took it to the local dealer. Hopefully they can get it off without ripping me a new one! I'll update as soon as I know something....the saga continues. :(

bbuhtz
04-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Prop still not off. Bit the bullet this morning and took it to the local dealer. Hopefully they can get it off without ripping me a new one! I'll update as soon as I know something....the saga continues. :(

any word from the dealer on the issue with the prop? curious as to why your prop was being such a pita?

E4NASH
04-15-2011, 02:30 PM
any word from the dealer on the issue with the prop? curious as to why your prop was being such a pita?

No, I called them this morning about 9:30 to tell them instead of spending HOURS trying to pull it off, if they could for them to just cut it off as I am going to buy a new prop anyway...Acme 1609...They said that they just started working on it and they would call me back once they know something...that was nearly 4 hours ago...I hope that doesn't mean $400 :(

E4NASH
04-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Prop is off!! Dealer was able to get it off in less than an hour apparently. Sure helps when you have the right tools. Not exactly sure why it was so hard to get off. The prop is unrepairable now though. Upgrade time! Just ordered an Acme 1609. Talked to Acme and they said that even though it is the same size as the OJ I have I should notice a dramatic difference in how it runs and a noticeable increase in pulling power. Since I've only taken the boat out once I doubt I'll be able to tell. I was thinking about the 913 but they made it sound like the amount of fuel consumption would significantly increase and lose 2 - 3 mph. I don't really have a lot of ballast yet may get a 750 later this summer to go with the 400 in the rear and the 400 in the ski locker. So I think this should do just fine.

Prop should be here next week along with my seadek pad and new head unit and I'll be back on the water! Christmas in April! :D

brain_rinse
04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
I'd love to know what was the issue that led to this prop being unrepairable. But prop upgrades are great, so congrats!

FLTH2O
04-16-2011, 03:42 PM
My experience with damaged props ranges from vitually falling off to needing lots of heat with a proper puller. Sometimes when a prop takes a hard hit like on the trailer it can be very difficult to remove prop but usually when it's a log or a rock in the sand that damages the prop a harmonic puller works fine. I saw a prop where all four blades ground off to the hub by a rock shoal and the key looked fine.

E4NASH
04-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Prop just arrived today....what's the advice on putting this thing back on correctly?

DOCDRS
04-21-2011, 05:28 PM
30 - 35 lbs of torque, recheck after a good high speed run. You can also follow these guidelines:

http://www.miwheel.com/uploads/resources/Inboard_Installation_Process.pdf

E4NASH
04-21-2011, 05:35 PM
30 - 35 lbs of torque, recheck after a good high speed run. You can also follow these guidelines:

http://www.miwheel.com/uploads/resources/Inboard_Installation_Process.pdf

Perfect! Thanks!