PDA

View Full Version : graphics / gel coat

LyndonH Dubai
04-11-2011, 04:02 AM
hi
ive been thinking for ages to get some new graphics done on my boat
the gel coat is looking a bit tired and i was thinking of a wrap, but cant seem to find anyone here that even understands a wrap yet alone do one!
my gel coat is pure black and looks tired and scratched?
i know it sounds a stupid question, but has anyone ever had a boat re-gel coated, or painted or anything like that? is it possible? what are the results etc?
or does anyone have any other advice.
my boat is the 2004 xlv gravity games edition and has stickers and redbull signs which have also damaged the gel coat, so would need to cover that area anyway
i have looked at the Moomba wraps but they well expensive and would need to install it myself also and i dont feel good about doing that?
all ideas welcomed.
nice one dudes!!:confused:

wolfeman131
04-11-2011, 07:56 AM
From what I've read here, I'd first try wet-sanding to get the surface looking good then I'd either go with the new chrome "MOOMBA" or a 1/2 wrap. There are a few guys on here that have installed the 1/2 themselves. Try Zdecals first, but search for others.

11 Outback V
04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
You can do either a wrap or paint. Painting could be done by any auto paint shop. I know that we paint most of the performance boats and never have any issues. If you want custom graphics try a place called kinetic animation. I know he goes to Dubai for the Xcat races

Kineticanimation.com

kaneboats
04-11-2011, 09:34 AM
I would (and have done this) wet sand and then buff to bring back the original shine. I would also add the new chrome logo.

newty
04-11-2011, 09:37 AM
I'd shy away from re-gelcoating. From what I've heard its not worth the money or the time invested. As mentioned earlier, a good wetsand, buff, and polish should do the trick.