PDA

View Full Version : Any recommended set up for '08 Mobius LS D/D

harmsway
04-10-2011, 10:22 PM
We went out today and did our norm wakeboarding & slalom skiing. My son and I did quite a few sets, my wife said the water was still to cold 62 deg, so she didn't get in the water. So we had some extra time before it got dark and I figured I would try my new wakesurf board I bought during the winter. I believe I am addicted, got up 1st try and was amazed how easy it was on my aging body. And it will be great sport at the end of the day when your body just can't hold on any long. lol

But this is my problem I only had my factory ballast under the rear seat and the wave just wasn't large enough to surf with out the tow rope. (I believe this ballast is around 400 lbs) So I need to do some ballast upgrades and I was undering if anyone had some experience in ballast set up for the '08 Mobius LS D/D. I thought about buying 2 of the 400 lbs sacs from wakemakers and puting one the passenger side all the way towards the back and one up front in the walk way when we are surfing.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

moombadaze
04-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Harms, I had the opertunity last year to surf a LS with just the factory bag in the rear, surf would not be what I was doing-more like short line wakeboarding. Anyway you need lots more weight as Ed says above.

harmsway
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Harms, I had the opertunity last year to surf a LS with just the factory bag in the rear, surf would not be what I was doing-more like short line wakeboarding. Anyway you need lots more weight as Ed says above.

You are correct it was more like wakeboarding on a short line although I was able to get some slack a few times but I felt like I was to close to the back deck to let go of the rope. It was enough to get a a taste and know that it'll be worth the ballast investment. So guess I'll start to weight up.

kaneboats
04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
You don't need very much weight in the front of the LS due to the central location of the motor but if you really sac out the back you will want to put a little up there. You can use human ballast if you have enough friends. That hull will make a great surf wake though.

c.rix
04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
two 750's should do the trick

SEARK
04-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Do like we do with our LS. No ballast in the front, motor works for that, get lots of big friends if you don't want to have that extra bag in the floor. If you don't have the "big" friends you'll need the 750. I usually have enough people in the boat to surf with no problem behind mine.

harmsway
04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
All right these are my two options.

1) Two 400 lbs sacs. They would fit best in the location behind the engine and the back seat and no problem by the side of the engine. This would give me a total of about 1200 lbs of ballast with hard tank under seat. I would be able to fill both of these bags full with no problems.

2) Two 750 lbs sacs. I would have no problem filling the bag next to the engine but the sac behind the engine would probably not fill all the way because of the dimensions between the seat and the engine cover. If this sac doesn't get filled all the way will the water slosh and cause the bag to move around? This would give me a total of 1900 lbs with hard tank under seat.

More weight always seems to be the way to go. Any thought/inputs before I pull the trigger.

deepcove
04-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a 2004 LS and have tried many different weighting scenarios. I have found side weight is more important than rear when you have your motor in the middle of the boat. In fact too mouch weight across the rear in combination with the weight already in the middle of the boat would cause my swim grid to drag in the water on the non surf side and basically ruin my wake. My set up for the most part is a 750 on the surf side with a 540 on a 45 degree angle across the 750 and the rear seat. I have my rear ballast full, front ballast half full with my plate around 1/2 and 9.8 mph. With this set up I get a very nicely shaped wake with lots of push.

viking
04-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Harms..........
I use a 800lb in the stock location in the back, bought a 400lb for the side and then use human ballast in the bow (or throw the stock 370lb'er in the walk through if no peeps). I plumbed in lines for both rear bags and then use the Tsunami Pro X pump for the front bag if using.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12648&highlight=poor+ballast

I too find that the "spot" is extremely close to the boat and the driver makes or breaks the ability to free-ride on a DD!

deepcove
04-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Viking "I too find that the "spot" is extremely close to the boat and the driver makes or breaks the ability to free-ride on a DD!"

If this is the case you do not have your DD weighted correctly. You should try your 800 lbs beside the motor and your 400 lbs in the back corner.

I am not sure about the driver comment....if you have PP the driver just needs to ge the boat up to speed and drive in a straight line...?

FLTH2O
04-13-2011, 12:45 AM
I would agree with DeepCove, the DD seems to favour weight beside the engine. I've surfed the Supra 20 DD which has a similar hull. Actually we had one side of the rear tank, front bag full and 3 5 gallon fuel jugs down the side and 2 people in the boat and surfed all day long. Matching the board to the wave size is important on the smaller sizes imo.

viking
04-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Deepcove.......i don't have pp and found that 11mph with a "slight" port turn widens the pocket substantially. Maybe it is the weighting but played around with different placements of weight and from that and advise from DD owners seemed like 7-800rear and 400side produced the best surf wake??

I never did get the sweet spot very far from the back of the swim platform :(

Anybody want to come out to MT and help me dial it in??

harmsway
04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
I was going to order 2 of the 750 lbs sacs last night and my laptop took a crap. Took my computer in to the local shop, they told me my hard drive and mother board were shot. Well lets see new laptop or new sacs....hmmm. I have no sacs, we have 3 other lap tops....hmmm I guess I'm going to have to sleep on it one more night.

deepcove
04-14-2011, 09:26 PM
At 11 mph my wave loses a lot of push. I think matching your weight set up to speed is very important. I have also tried to put lot more weight in my boat with the result being a wave that was no better and my boat was working a lot harder than I liked. I get a pretty long pocket with my set up. I can slam more weight in the rear to get a taller wake but the result is a short pocket having to ride to close to the boat. Here are a couple pics of my set up.

harmsway
04-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Wave looks pretty nice is that (1) 750 lbs. sac in the boat or do have other ballast. What year and hull is your boat?

FLTH2O
04-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Wave looks pretty nice is that (1) 750 lbs. sac in the boat or do have other ballast. What year and hull is your boat?

2004 Mobius LS. front bag and rear tank right Scott ?

deepcove
04-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Andrew you almost correct. front bag 1/2 full, rear tank full, 750 beside motor and a 450 or so on top of the 750 going onto the rear seat. I used to also run with a 250 between the motor and rear seat....I cant remember if this was the case in this picture but I no longer use this as it was a negative inpact on my side list.

harmsway
04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
It sounds like simular boats can take different set ups or it may depend on surf style. If I am not mistaking the '08 Mobius LS is the same hull as '08 LSV other then being DD vs V-drive so I'm not sure if this will make much of a difference went setting everything up. I guess it will be alot of trial and error but this gives me alot of information to start with.

I went ahead and ordered 2 of the 750lbs sacs to start with. I figured that should give me enough weight to play with and once I get the wave a little more dialed in I can purchase some different size bags if needed.

And buying a replacement laptop will wait for the time being.

viking
04-15-2011, 11:02 PM
DC and Ed,
I can tell from both your pics that I'm WAY too close to the back of the boat. I think I need to weigh down the surf side some more and toy around with it early in the season.

Thanks much for the pics!

Harmsway - post up some photo's when you get it going :)

It's going to be a month or 2 before it's warm enough up north to get out on and in the water :(

harmsway
04-16-2011, 03:38 PM
For some reason I'm not able to view the pics Ed posted and I think I remember a couple of others saying they were having trouble seeing some pics.

I will most likely go out tomorrow, I've been trying to hit the lake once a week when weather permitting, but I won't get the new sacs until next week or the following week. I will post some pics when I get the new sacs in.

harmsway
04-17-2011, 09:05 AM
If you want to see the photo, it is in one of my albums on my profile page - I think "misc photos"

The wave pic on you 1st page of "misc photo" is there a sac strapped to your swim platform?

KurtL
04-18-2011, 12:48 AM
Harms, I have the same 08 LS, fun all around boat! I can tell you that I have not found a truly consistent sac/wake setup. The 750 on surf side with the 400 factory rear seems to create nice height, but I think some weight forward will help elongate the pocket. The length is the difficult part to create. I have noticed that the goofy surfers seem to have a nicer wake with the only difference being the weight of the driver. Usually run wakeplate at 75 to 100%. Speed varies on number of people, wind etc but all 9-10.5 mph.

We still have ice here on our lake so it will be a while before we surf, just hoping to ski before June.

LS owners lets get this figured out this year!

harmsway
04-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Today was the 1st chance we had to try out our new 750 sacs. Once we were finished skiing, wakeboarding & wakeskating and after most of the other boats left the cove we were in except for a few fishing boats. We filled one of the sacs and got on the board. I must say pretty nice wave and can't wait to play around with the second 750 sac. Here's a few pics.

mmandley
05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Thats a nice looking wave man.