PDA

View Full Version : 02 LSV won't start after winterization...

txduckman07
04-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Went to go get my new-to-me 2002 Mobius LSV out of storage and ready for the lake. Was running great when I took it in for winterization. Shop that winterized it said it would be ready to go in the spring. I charged the batteries and went to start it. The motor spins over fine, but never attempts to run. I know it's either a lack of fuel or spark and I'll have to determine which, and I didn't have a ton of time yesterday to mess with it. Are there any common problems I should check first? I'll go back next weekend to figure out the problem and test for fuel and spark, but if anyone else has had the same problem, it would be nice to have a starting point.

rdlangston13
04-10-2011, 09:21 PM
if you have an emergency kill lanyard make sure it is installed. to check for spark just pull a plug wire, stick a screw driver in it and put it close to part of the block and have someone crank it. you should see a spark jump from the screw driver shaft to the block. dont have the screw driver in your hand when testing this though. if you have spark then its probably fuel

newty
04-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Yea, Im thinking engine kill lanyard too!

NCSUmoomba
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Has your ignition key switch ever been loose? If so, the lead to the fuel pump may have come off the back of the ignition switch. It happened to me yesterday. I had the same thing, turn over , but no start. Put the wire back on, an I was in business. This has happened a few time to me, I should probably look into fixing it for good.

txduckman07
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
Update...my boat doesn't have a kill switch. Any other ideas? Is it possible for the fuel lines to lose prime?

Moseley618
04-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Is it FI or Carb? If it is FI, try turning the key on of a few seconds multiple times (10 or so). That should prime your fuel rails. The fuel will drain out of the fuel rails after sitting for awhile. If it is a carb you should see fuel squirting into the intake.

txduckman07
04-13-2011, 10:20 PM
It's injected. I'll give that a try

ritterslsv
04-13-2011, 11:38 PM
you should hear the fuel pump run everytime the key is turned on

mmandley
04-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Dont over think this.

Tools you should take with you.

Spark plug sockets. 5/8 7/8
New Spark plugs unless you had them replaced recently.
Spark plug gapper
Small wire brush to clean spark plugs
Volt Ohm meter cheap ione will do
Spray bottle with gas in it
Fuel Filter

First Key off unplug and replug all the connectors on the back of the engine where the ECM module is.

Second unplug each spark plug cable and measure your OHMs it should be very low reading. If you get a infinity then you have a bad plug.

Third remove all the spark plugs one at a time so you dont switch plug wires, clean and regap them or just replace them.

Forth Try to restart the engine now. Listen to her, does she try to fire at all or is it just straight cranking sounds?

Trys to fire but cant? Means you have some fuel and or weak spark at least.

Ok She doesnt try to fire at all. No fuel or no spark. Easy thing to try is remove the plastic cover off the engine and then remove that thing they call a flame arrestor < which is not one at all on fuel injection > Squirt a couple triggers of fuel into the intake. Not to much or you might flood the engine. Now try to restart the engine. Does she fire up for a couple seconds now?

Yes - Then you have no fuel pressure or you got bad fuel in the tank.

Check fuel pressure < id have to look on mine but on the fuel rail there's normally a valve looks like a tire valve stem push this in slightly to see if you get fuel while the key is On.

Fuel Pressure yes? Then sorry bro you got a tank of bad fuel. Pump it out and refill it.

OK you have no fuel pressure. Time to start with easy part. Replace the fuel filter and try to start again.

No go? Then make sure the fuel pump is working. With the engine bay open and turn off the key for a couple minutes and then back on you will hear a low buzz sound as the fuel pump primes and pressurizes the system.

OK after you checked all these items and if you think its lack of spark then try to short the spark plug cable to the engine block but it will take 2 people to see this as one has to watch for spark.

If you have no spark its the cables or the Spark solenoids. Im betting your problem is fuel related.

Try those things out and let us know how it goes.

Don't ever let technology intimidate you. At the end of the day its an Engine and it needs only 3 things to run. Fuel Air and Spark. Make sure it has 2 of the three and it will tell you what its missing as a third.