PDA

View Full Version : 06 OBV low RPM after winterization

rjenkins
04-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Guys,
I just dropped my 06 OBV in the lake for the first time this season. Boat cranked right up, but RPM's won't go about about 2200 RPM's and I never got above about 5 MPH. I had the throttle all the way open and still nothing more than 2200RPM. It appears to idle fine and I let it idle for about 5-8 minutes before i unhooked it from the trailer. Here is what i did to winterize in case that has any affect on what it may be:

Change Oil and filter - 5 qts of Pennzoil 15-40
Changed Sparkplugs and sprayed fogging oil
Fogging oil in carb intake
Changed impellor
Changed thermostat and seals around thermostat
vdrive oil was changed mid season when i bought the boat so i didn't do this at end of season

Any suggestions on what may be causing this issue?

Thanks!!

rjenkins
04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
One other quick note. I just tinkered with it again and noticed that water is leaking out of the impellor cover. So that may be part of my problem. I went ahead and pulled it out the water to work on it in the garage. can a leaking impellor cause those kind of problems?

rdlangston13
04-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Is your check engine light on?

2007 Outback V
04-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Do you have moomba cruise????? Sounds like moomba cruise is engaged. I don't think the impeller issue would cause this, but do fix it. Then, put the boat back in the water, start and allow to idle. Make sure moomba cruise is off, then engage throttle.

rjenkins
04-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do NOT have Moomba Cruise, but I did install PerfectPass Stargazer Wake edition last summer. Since I have a Carb'ed engine, I did have to install the servo with Perfect Pass too. I'll check it, but I did have PP turned off from the display. I did check the throttle cable when it was in the water and it was moving freely as you would expect.

The check engine light is NOT on.

Thanks again for your replies!!

harmsway
04-09-2011, 08:22 PM
If it has a Holley carb you may want tap on the float bowl with the back of a screw driver while it is running. The carb float may be stuck not allowing the needle and seat to open properly. This would not allow enough fuel in the carb bowl and the engine would idle fine but not allow higher rpm under a load.

Most Holleys have a float level screw about 2/3 of the way up the bowl remove that scew and the fuel should be at the bottom of the hole while running.

Jon
04-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Change your fuel filter.

DOCDRS
04-09-2011, 11:53 PM
When winterizing I would not fog new spark plugs. Fog with old, then after you start in the spring and burn off the oil put the new plugs in. Make sure your linkage is working properly at the carb as well when you push the throttle.

jmvotto
04-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Do you have moomba cruise????? Sounds like moomba cruise is engaged. I don't think the impeller issue would cause this, but do fix it. Then, put the boat back in the water, start and allow to idle. Make sure moomba cruise is off, then engage throttle.

ditto on the moomba cruise.

mmandley
04-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Rjenkins,

Hey brother, i am pretty sure you got a simple fix problem but i need more info man.

First when its running is it smooth?
Can you push the button in on the throttle and rev it up?
Hows the oil pressure looking?

Water leaking out of the impeller doesn't effect engine running, it will only cause overheating.

Lastly pull the plugs out, pray them with some carb leaner, double check the gap, next Never never Fog your carb bro. I am quite sure your carb is all gummed up now and it the root of your evil.

Fogging is to protect the Raw Metal of the cylinder walls and pistons from rusting and sticking, a Carb can sit for years and never have a problem.

I also doubt its the fuel bowl float only because you would have a burst of power then die as it starves for fuel. I think the jets might be clogged or the possible the lower butterfly's arnt working properly.

With the boat off, run the throttle threw its cycles and look into the carb to see the butterfly's are opening and closing. Might have to have help doing it.

The secondary probably wont open only because it requires vacume when the engine is running.

Once you get this stuff checked out let me know how its going. You can PM me if you like as i dont check these boards to often lately. Somehting just inspired me to visit today, i think it was the first post in this section. ;)

rjenkins
04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys - When it is running it is definitely running smooth and i was surprised that it cranked so easily after sitting up all winter. I get the same issue when I push the button on the throttle and open it up. It still only revs to about 2000 RPM's or so. The other interesting thing is that it appears to only start to push the RPM's up when the throttle is open to between 9 and 10 o'clock. From it's start position around 12 oclock down to about 10 oclock it basically does nothing. (which is different from when I took it out of the water last summer).

The reason I fogged the Carb was I assumed I needed to based on the Winterization steps found in this link: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9877
But I guess that was for a EFI engine?? Not sure - this is my first year with the boat and still trying to find some of the basics (like where the freakin' fuel filter is on this thing :) ). Manual says it is under the Vdrive cover, but not mine :).

One other thing I noticed was that the Oil pressure did bounce between 40-60. Any thoughts on what may cause the new impellor to leak. That thing is a pain in the butt to pull so i want to make sure it is right the next time. I coated it with Vaseline before i put it in. Could the gasket just be on the wrong way?

Thanks again guys!!

cab13367
04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
The reason I fogged the Carb was I assumed I needed to based on the Winterization steps found in this link: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9877
But I guess that was for a EFI engine?? Not sure - this is my first year with the boat and still trying to find some of the basics (like where the freakin' fuel filter is on this thing :) ). Manual says it is under the Vdrive cover, but not mine :).

I wrote up that winterization procedure and the instructions to fog thru the throttle body and then thru each spark plug hole came right out of the owner's manual. I think that you are not supposed to fog catalytic converter equipped engines as it messes up the O2 sensor (I think??).

Also, before I got my FI Moomba, I had a carbureted stern drive and always fogged thru the carb and never had any problems.

I had a similar issue with my Moomba a long time ago and discovered that the electrical connector to the PP module (the part that is attached to the engine) was accidentally disconnected so you might check that.

Good luck.

Al

rjenkins
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks Al - and thanks for posting the winterization procedures too!! I'll check the PP module as well. Boats back in the garage, so I'll try to work on it this weekend.

Thanks again guys for everyones help!!

Ian Brantford
04-14-2011, 11:02 AM
Check that V-drive oil anyway. If it's low, the engine might be in limp mode. Does you model have the indicator light ("This light should be off over 1200 PRM")?