PDA

View Full Version : GoPro Video Camera

deerfield
04-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Hey, guys – This article in today’s issue of the Wall Street Journal caught my eye: “Camcorder Popular With Surfers Looks to Ride Professional Market.”

According to the article, GoPro is a rugged, six-ounce, watertight video camera. The model that shoots 1080p high-definition video sells for $260. Nick Woodman, GoPro’s CEO and founder, has one fastened to the front of his surfboard.

Television cameramen and freelance videographers use it to film for National Geographic, Discovery Channel, and Animal Planet. It’s the camera used to catch crabs entering a crab pot on the bottom of the sea (Deadliest Catch) and film the inside of sharks’ mouths.

A venture capital fund backed by Walt Disney is investing in GoPro’s parent company to help GoPro further expand its business in the professional market. The camera, currently sold through surf shops, motorcycle stores, and sporting goods retailers, will soon be available in Best Buy stores.

I think this would be a really cool addition if it has a mount that would work on my barefoot boom or securely attach (like the CEO’s surfboard) to the tip of a wakeboard or water ski. That would make for fantastic video for everyone to watch on a big screen television after a day on the water. I think that Perfect Pass just went to the back burner.

If you want to read the article, it’s page B7 of the Marketplace section. Cheers!

jester
04-06-2011, 10:27 PM
I have one and it is a great product. I have it attached to my wakeboard or i can move it to my helmet. I really should post a video of it but need more footage and the sun to comeout to get that.

ian ashton
04-06-2011, 10:37 PM
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786744

zabooda
04-06-2011, 10:39 PM
I have one at work and I use the Contour GPS from our dirt bike club and I prefer the Contour except they have yet to come out with a waterproof case. The lens on the GoPro is more of a fish eye but both do excellent pictures.

deerfield
04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Ian - Half way through that video I'm sure that dude broke his leg. Saw his shin hit and bounce off the wooden trick thing on which he was wake boarding. Ouch! But, to the point, that video is exactly why I'd really like to get that GoPro camera. Really like the idea of attaching it to the handle. Very cool video. - Deerfield

Ian Brantford
04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
This is a great idea for a rope camera. I have never liked the results of tower-mounted, rope-directed cameras. I've been fantasizing about having a pylon-mounted, motion-tracking camera for years... or a chase helicopter! This looks like a much easier project. Thanks for posting it!

wolfeman131
04-06-2011, 11:07 PM
One was used this past weekend for the wakesurf portion of the documentary. It was attached to a helmet and then the surfer actually paddled into the wave like an ocean surfer. It was cool to watch from the boat and I can't wait to see it from the other perspective.

wolfeman131
04-06-2011, 11:47 PM
here is a link to the video of Andrew getting up "ocean style." you can see the GoPro attached to his helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyTHX9RpBu0

scoot_gt
04-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Here's some GoPro video from awhile back, but gives you an idea of what it looks like when attached to the board.

This is from the Remedy Films guys that did the full feature film I posted a few months back

http://vimeo.com/5630484

jmvotto
04-07-2011, 08:28 AM
I used one skiing the "pow" in steamboat. light, accurate, flexible mounts and great panaramic. battery life is good as well as using a large enough sd card.

two thumbs up here., maybe a fathers day gift.....;)

jmvotto
04-07-2011, 08:31 AM
here is a link to the video of Andrew getting up "ocean style." you can see the GoPro attached to his helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyTHX9RpBu0

Cool, but a little dangerous, wheres the pfd, hope that documentary part skips the saftey of wakesurfing. that screams lawyers.....

wolfeman131
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Dude is an ocean surfer, so I guess pfd is an afterthought. Although, my girls did notice that in a second and gave him the business when he got back in the boat. Guess they have paid some attention to me and my safety first rants.

jmvotto
04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Dude is an ocean surfer, so I guess pfd is an afterthought. Although, my girls did notice that in a second and gave him the business when he got back in the boat. Guess they have paid some attention to me and my safety first rants.

good for them... LOL