PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shaft and Strut Bushings

squeeg333
04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
I have a question for the forum. I have heard from some that with the engine in neutral, you should be able to spin the prop/shaft with a finger... is this true? I am able to spin mine, but not quite that easily.

The reason I ask is because I am concerned about one of my lower strut bushings. I am unsure if the previous owner did anything to the prop/shaft/strut previously, but, when looking at the strut from the prop end, I can't see the strut bushing. I can however see the engine end bushing - and it's flush with the end of the strut (as I would expect).

Once I get the prop off (after I get the boat out of storage), I'll see how far the prop end bushing is inside the strut from the face. I don't necessarily notice any excess vibration or anything, but then again, this is my first inboard, and I still have the stock OJ Wakeboard prop that is known for some noise and vibrations. However, it just concerns me a little that I don't see the bushing as I'd expect to.

Anyway, do you guys have any advice on the spinning of the prop, as well as the appearance of the strut bushings? Maybe those of you who have access to your boats now?

Thanks a lot guys.

maxpower220
04-07-2011, 09:59 AM
You should be able to rotate the prop with your hand. It should not "spin" and it will take more than one finger of applied force to move it.

When I winterize, I use some silicone lube on the strut bearing to prevent excess wear when I start up the next year.