PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot boom on LSV

Shooter
04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Does anyone have a boom on an 07+ LSV?

If so could you possibly provide a few pics and info on your boom.
I am currently looking at the Deluxe Quad V drive boom from Barefoot international. Just wondering what other options are out there and how well they work on our boats. I will be using it for everything from teaching kids to ski/wakeboard to barefooting. Thanks in advance for any help.

deerfield
04-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Shooter - I hope someone can help you with a pic. Boom will be such a versatile addition to your rig, just as you envision. Have one for my Outback DD and use it a lot. It's a snap to drop in place when needed (like two minutes) or store when finished. Let us know what you decide. - Deerfield

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-07-2011, 12:15 AM
i have the barefoot boom. you want the pics of just the boom or of it on the boat? i have it on the shelf in the garage but not sure what that will show ya. i know with the lsv like what i have also you have to order it for a certain side of the boat. last summer i used it to help beginners learn to wakeboard but no barefooting yet. anything i can help ya with just ask. i purchased mine from footers edge cheapest place i found.

DOCDRS
04-07-2011, 12:35 AM
I have the tower boom if you want to see that one

Shooter
04-07-2011, 11:32 AM
gus, I believe that is the same boom I am looking at. How easy is it to set up/tear down out on the water? I'd love to see some pics of it on the boat if happen to set it up before long. Will prob be at least a month before I order one.

DOCDRS, I would like to see pics of the tower boom as well. I inquired about it as well. The guy I spoke with at Barefoot International kinda led me to believe that the tower boom was a bit harder to set up while out on the water. I'll have kid's ranging from 4-40+ with me, so I'd like to be able to set it up rather quickly when needed. Last thing I want is to put one of the the youngsters off when they want to try something new.

Thanks!

deerfield
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Shooter - Give yourself ninety minutes for initial install of the boom. After unpacking and reviewing the easy-to-read instructions from Barefoot International, install invloves bolting the attachment point at the correct level on the tow pylon and adjusting cables to the exact length for your boat. After that, setup is a matter of one quick release pin and one clip. Boom, your done. Easy and fast. But, let's get confirmation from the v-drive guys that their install and setup are equally easy to the direct drive applicaiton. - Deerfield

DOCDRS
04-07-2011, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=
DOCDRS, I would like to see pics of the tower boom as well. I inquired about it as well. The guy I spoke with at Barefoot International kinda led me to believe that the tower boom was a bit harder to set up while out on the water. I'll have kid's ranging from 4-40+ with me, so I'd like to be able to set it up rather quickly when needed. Last thing I want is to put one of the the youngsters off when they want to try something new.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I think the tower boom would be easy to set up on the water once you have it dialed in. I have a dock so set up is easy, I got the Tower boom as I didnt want anything inside the boat, and I wanted it as far forward as possible to get out of the chine spray, especially for barefooting.

The problem with the tower boom is trying to adjust it up or down while out on the lake. Not a prob for me as I am usu close to my dock if need be. On this basis I would not get this boom if I were you. But I am comparing it to an inboard DD boom which is easily adjusted. Not sure how much height adjustment there is on a V drive contour boom.

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-07-2011, 11:31 PM
its not the easiest to do on the water to be honest it takes atleast one other person to do and you better have a tube or something to float on out to the side of the boat while your handling the boom and extentions and the fastening the cables. i don't have a dock to use where i load my boat is a public area so i can't take up the dock for 15 while i hook everthing up . took me around 15 min to install anchored in the water. i don't mind doing it when i have a boat load of newbies cause they get to learn but its not something i'd want to do on a regular basis. if i had a lake house or dock on the lake it'd be a lot simpler so it kinda depends on your situation. all in all its a great tool its helped out a few people last summer get the hang of wakeboarding so i look at it as a successful purchase.

i don't foresee me getting out to the lake anytime soon to use it but if i do i'll gladly take some pics for ya

schuylski
04-09-2011, 08:45 AM
I've got the boom with an LSV - I'm not positive which one it is, it has the bend in it to move it up for the v pylon. It works great.

We always have to install out on the river - it isn't bad with just 2 people. We put the extension on first, then using the cables wrapped around the top of the tower (kinda like a pulley) one person leans out to connect it to the main part while the other lowers the end of it slowly by letting out the cable. This way the person leaning out doesn't need to worry with trying to hold it up. A tube or float would accomplish the same idea. Then connect the cables up front. Just need to be careful - it's heavy i'm sure it will sink fast. Takes maybe 10 minutes.

We put it out passenger side but it could go either side. We have the height adjuster but it is just if you want to lower the boom, doesn't really raise it. In the pictures we are not using the height adjuster at all. Biggest way we adjust height is moving the people around in the boat. I would definitely recommend the extension though, helps get you further out away from the spray.

The spray isn't bad, would be better if it was further forward but we had heard the tower boom is very difficult to put up without access to the shore, so went with this. Don't really have any pics of just the boom, but here it is in use. Actually Pics are too big I'll be back to post later

Shooter
04-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Thank you to everyone for the input. I am real excited about adding the boom and wish I could do it now, but the prop and 750s have ate my budget for a while. Besides this gives me time to keep researching and will let the water warm up a bit for for the little ones. If anyone does make it to the lake I would appreciate pics.

schuylski
04-09-2011, 03:10 PM
back with pics. hopefully. Also this is 2010 lsv

deerfield
04-09-2011, 03:25 PM
schulski - Great pics! - Deerfield

Shooter
04-09-2011, 06:42 PM
back with pics. hopefully. Also this is 2010 lsv

Thank you. I pretty sure that is about the same set up that will be in my 07. I'm thinking I'm gonna go with drivers side, just to leave more of the seating open. I was also worried about the spray, but can see that it has you just outside of it! Do you feel that you would still be out of the spray while using a short rope on the boom?

That last pic is reason enough for me to make the purchase. My youngest is 4 and he is very excited about the boat. Thanks again.

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-09-2011, 08:43 PM
for a couple reasons i went with the passenger side first being if i ever pull into a dock to get gas or what not its on the other side and as long as its wide enough the boom won't get in the way and i usually anchor out to my cousins boat when we are together and same thing i still can still tie off to drivers side and after seeing how far back the boom is its easier to see them out the passenger side cause drivers side they will be behind ya and your constantly craning your neck to see them or talk to them. just some things to think about.
you won't lose any more seating no matter what side you go off of

schuylski
04-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Here I found a few pics with a short rope.

The spray depends on what you're doing too - If it's choppy it can be a lot worse as well. I've only had it since last September, I think a few times I've noticed spray but it hasn't been a big deal at all and it has worked out great.

As far as which side, it doesn't seem to matter much. just have to be careful to always turn towards the boom.

Hoopskier
04-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Althought I have a direct drive, my boom experiance. the spray or wash from the boat can be somewhat bad at slow speeds such as two skiing with a small person. The faster you go the less of an issue. As barefoot speeds for me the spray is a non issue. Barefoot international make a boom extension as well to help with the spray issue, if you have one.

I can go either side with my boat for the boom, I go out the passenger side. If you have person to teach, they can teach and the driver can just focus on driving. Hard and dangerous to teach and drive at barefoot speeds, because of the divided attention, sort of like texting and driving on the highway. When I teach skiing while driving, its slow, and I don't have any problem looking to me left vs my right and the little added distance-just talk a little louder.

MysticSoulFly
04-12-2011, 02:35 AM
Shooter,

Yesterday I've posted almost the same question as you did. I am also looking for the Deluxe Quad V drive boom from Barefoot International. Is it working and if so: which type have you ordered: B2..??

Kind regards,
Rob

MysticSoulFly
04-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Schuylski,

Thank you for the pics. I will order the Barefoot Quad V drive boom and I can't wait to test it with my three kids.

Kind regards,
Rob

pickle311
04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
What speeds do you barefoot at? I wouldn't even think my LSV is fast enough for that.

Shooter
04-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Shooter,

Yesterday I've posted almost the same question as you did. I am also looking for the Deluxe Quad V drive boom from Barefoot International. Is it working and if so: which type have you ordered: B2..??

Kind regards,
Rob

Rob,

BI told me I would need the B204V if I remember correctly. I am definately going to order it, but probably wait til next month. Did a reprop and have new bags on order now so I've kinda blown my budget for the month. If ya beat me to it please let me know how the initial install and all goes.

Pickle,

I normally start out at around 35mph (I only weigh about 145). May pick it up a bit if I decide to try and get tricky, but that usually doesn't turn out very well!!

MNKid
04-13-2011, 09:44 PM
What speeds do you barefoot at? I wouldn't even think my LSV is fast enough for that.

Gen rule of thumb is weight divided by 10 plus 20.

170/10 = 17 + 20 is 37mph for starters.

skiyaker
06-11-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking of getting a boom also- my 5 year old insists that he wants to wakeboard- I wondered how the V drive booms are working out for everybody?

Also, schuylski you mentioned that when you turn you want to turn towards the boom- is that right? I've never driven a boat with a boom but do I have to worry about dunking the boom in the water if I turn towards it? What happens if you turn away from it? Thanks!

Shooter
06-11-2011, 10:56 AM
I wish I had some answers for you. The boom is still on my wish list. We have been taking the boat out at every available opp, so the boom funds have been redirected towards fuel. I really didn't expect to have 50 hours logged for the season by the second weekend in June.

DOCDRS
06-11-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm thinking of getting a boom also- my 5 year old insists that he wants to wakeboard- I wondered how the V drive booms are working out for everybody?

Also, schuylski you mentioned that when you turn you want to turn towards the boom- is that right? I've never driven a boat with a boom but do I have to worry about dunking the boom in the water if I turn towards it? What happens if you turn away from it? Thanks!

You should never turn towards the boom as your are turning into the skier. The boom will dip not a problem but you will put the boat closer to the footer and if he but slides or falls can hit the boat. Always turn away from the footer, when we do the swing teaching method , at the end or the run a hard turn away from the skier will lift them out of the water for a ride as the boat slows down then plop them in the water....fun for the kids learning to barefoot

skiyaker
06-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Shooter- totally understand. I keep looking at my hour meter- part of me is like crap I have 175 hrs on my boat and I'm just starting its third season, the other part of me is like hey great I'm getting a lot of use out of this thing

Doc- thanks for the explanation- that makes more sense and falls inline with what I was thinking. What's the typical age at which you get the kids out there on the boom? My 5 year old rides regularly on the inflatable ski trainer so he's used to being in the water and behind the boat. I'm thinking the boom would make for a better experience for him on the wakeboard.

schuylski
06-13-2011, 12:48 AM
wait no that's backwards! Seems confusing because it is - but I think that's really dangerous. And to clarify, if the boom is out the passenger side, I'm sayin you should always turn left.

From what I understand, when you turn, the back of the boat swings out away from whichever way you are turning. So if you turn towards the skier on the boom - yes the front of the boat goes towards them which seems scary, but the prop in the back of the boat swings out away from them and there is no way you can possibly run them over with it. Also- it doesn't matter that the front of the boat goes towards them because they would have to jump way ahead somehow to get up in front of the boat - when they fall or let go they go backwards.

If you turn away from them - the front of the boat turns away from them, but the back of the boat with the prop will run directly over them if they let go - seriously, when you're just floating, throw a cushion out where the skier would be, then turn away from it slowly and see how the back of the boat and prop head straight for it.

As far as dunking the boom... not a huge deal if no one is on it and you are aware of it. If anyone is on it, I turn in as big of a circle as possible to keep it higher for the skier - also can move people to the other side of the boat around the turn to help lift it up. What Doc said about a swing on the boom is fun - I'm just wary about them falling out. And, when you're idling into position and someone is hanging out there it puts quite a drag on the boat and makes maneuvering difficult - you just kinda go around in circles.

Just my thoughts... But for those considering it - If you have kids or take anyone out that has never skied, it's awesome. While it takes 10 minutes to put up, I think that's time you would spend circling back to them as they keep trying to get up behind the boat. Plus, they get frustrated. If they're little kids, it's much less intimidating when you can talk to them right there. And if you're into barefooting or considering it - it makes it sooo much easier than trying to learn behind the boat - plus you don't take the pounding from all the falls. My friend considers it cheating....

gregski
07-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Is there any way for the moderators to recover the original pictures in this thread?

I'm investigating a boom for my LSV and I'm trying to decide between the tower and the pylon mount styles. I would only be using it for teaching newbies. I would prefer to have it on the starboard side because I'm the defacto driver and coach. On my old DD, I could see the skier in the water on the port side, but I think the gunnels are too high on the LSV. Is the tower mount boom easy to adjust for height? It seems like all of the promo pictures I see show the boom pointing way out of the water, maybe it's an illusion. If you dry fit everything while on the trailer, can you install/use/adjust while on the water (no dock)? I don't mind a little time and/or hassle, but I don't want to be required to use a tube to install from the water.

DOCDRS
07-20-2015, 09:23 PM
I have a tower boom and it is difficult to adjust on the water. If you set it up right you can but its not like a dd. the problem with the pylon is i doubt you will ever get as far forward as a dd or as the tower , with the tower you can get the skier perpendiclar to the driver

jikemones
07-21-2015, 08:55 AM
I have a boom on a 2011 Moomba LSV. It's a Barefoot International Quad bent boom. I mount it to the pylon with the multi-adjustable clamp (you will have to purchase separately) I also added two boom extensions to get the barefooter/skier out of the boat’s chine spray. (boom extensions also purchased separately) The boom itself does not stick out perpendicular as with a direct drive. I have it at an angle so the barefooter/skier is almost even with the driver. I’ll try and get some pictures for you the next time we are out. This setup works extremely well. I spoke to Mike Seiple directly when setting this up and he agreed that this was the best configuration for the LSV. If you are in a five foot handle extension it will keep the chine spray out of your face!!!!!!!

13mobiusLSV
07-21-2015, 09:59 AM
I just purchased the deluxe quad v contour boom and extension. Should I go ahead and purchase the height adjustment as well?
Any other suggestions/tips for setup and install would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

jikemones
07-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Yes, the height adjustment helps. I also put a boat cushion under the boom where it contacts the gunwale to protect my boat. I would also go with two extensions to get you out of the chine spray. (you'll be able to see that way, no spray in your face from the boat)

deerfield
07-21-2015, 01:13 PM
gregski - Determine the natural direction your boat pulls, due to engine torque. If to port, then mount boom on the starboard side. If to starboard, then mount on port side. With drag paired against (rather than with) direction of engine torque, control at start is vastly improve for the driver and your boarder will more quickly pop out of the water. I experimented both setups and learned it makes a big difference. - Deerfield

gregski
07-21-2015, 03:03 PM
gregski - Determine the natural direction your boat pulls, due to engine torque. If to port, then mount boom on the starboard side. If to starboard, then mount on port side. With drag paired against (rather than with) direction of engine torque, control at start is vastly improve for the driver and your boarder will more quickly pop out of the water. I experimented both setups and learned it makes a big difference. - Deerfield
Interesting thought. The problem I face is that I'm the instructor and I might be able to get someone else to drive but I don't count on it. Every time the boom was on, my regular drivers freak out. So I have to expect that I will also be the driver. I don't think that I will be able to drive and coach someone on the port side. It may be the case that I live with worse handling because that's better than someone else driving with better handling.

To that end, how far forward does the pylon boom get the rider? Close enough to the driver to talk?

deerfield
07-21-2015, 08:29 PM
To that end, how far forward does the pylon boom get the rider? Close enough to the driver to talk?

On the above question, I defer to others as I have no v-drive experience. Mine is the DD Outback.

I understand having the boom close to the driver in order to more easily communicate and coach. That led me to mount the boom on the driver’s side. It puzzled me when the boat pulled very hard to starboard, forcing me to way, way over steer to port to compensate until my rider was up on plane. On a hunch that it had to do with prop rotation and torque, I finally flipped the boom to the port side. World of difference. Easier getting up on the rider and greater control for the driver. Given the forward position of the pylon in a DD, I can communicate with my rider even with the boom on the other side. Could be that on your LSV the prop rotation will work in your favor with mounting the boom on the driver’s side?