PDA

View Full Version : Surf board leash?

harmsway
04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
This may be a stupid question but only why to find is ask.
Does anyone use a leash on there boards and if so why or why not?

Canuckle Head
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Leashes are for ocean surfing. If you fall in the ocean and you are not connected to your board, you can be in for a mighty long swim and there is a good chance your board will be damaged once you get to it. Especially if you're surfing a rocky or reefy spot.

I can't see why you would need one for a lake. A river with a strong current maybe but definitely not a lake.

you da man
04-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Hate to see a leash get caught in the prop with you still on it

harmsway
04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I had a good idea those were some of the reasons, just wasn't 100% sure if that was the case. So I guess learning to surf your boat and board may suffer some dings from out of control boards.

you da man
04-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I had a good idea those were some of the reasons, just wasn't 100% sure if that was the case. So I guess learning to surf your boat and board may suffer some dings from out of control boards.

Your head will also get a few dings and/or cuts (fins)

Razzman
04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Having grown up living literally on the beach in SoCal and surfing almost everyday until i was sixteen i can tell you leashes are a neccessity in the ocean. Not only can the board be carried far away out of reach by strong currents,it's also a flotation device at arms length when needed, and in the ocean it's needed many times.

On a lake the real danger is the leash rebounding the board into you and believe me, it hurts. These lake boards are even worse as they are extremely light, leashes are surgical rubber with a very high rebound. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that equation and the reason nobody I've ever seen uses one i'm guessing. Or they did once and figured it out. Ocean boards are a lot heavier and don't rebound as readily, conditions pending of course.

I'll also go out on a limb and say there's absolutely no chance of getting the leash into the prop. Leashes float and with the boat in motion the water flow will trail the leash rearward just as in the ocean, the prop is down and forward. Even if you fall at the platform the boat is already a safe distance by the time you hit the water and the engine is cut, I know i've seen more than a few do it. There's no equation possible that puts the leash into the prop unless the boat is in gear and the leash is manually pushed down and forward into the prop. In that the case you already have a lot more to worry about.

moombadaze
04-07-2011, 07:50 AM
After reading Razz's reply I can now just see my board rebound about 5-6 feet into the air after falling and then the slingshot leash reverse the course of that board right at my head narowly missing me but the fins dont. Ouch to say the least.

KG's Supra24
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
What Razz said, except i didn't grow up in SoCal.

bergermaister
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
My 5'10" ocean board came with a leash and I left it on for the first outing. Aside from the possible danger of the board wanting to take your teeth out after a fall I just didn't like the feel of something on my ankle and dragging behind me.

And when the board was up on the tower the dang leash always came loose and would be dangling and swinging around in the breeze which drove me nuts.

Canuckle Head
04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
You might want to lightly sand down the sharp edges on your fins while you're at it.

It will reduce the potential of being sliced up.:D