PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Upgrade Advice

bhowell
04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Here is what I'm considering.

3 Pair Exile SX65s
1 Pair XM7s
2 JL JX360/4 (1 Unbridged for Cabin, 1 Bridged fro HLCDs)

1. Are the Amps sufficient?
2. What should these Parts Cost?
3. What should Other Install Parts Cost?
4. What should Install Labor Cost?

I also have a JL10W3 - 10" Sub being pushed by a bridged Punch 201s (~200 RMS) which will be staying in the boat. The Stock Kenwoods (pushed by head unit), the Polk MM651s on the tower, and Eclipse EA2212 (tower amp) will be coming out.

Let me know what you think.

rdlangston13
04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
i would look into an exile harpoon for the hlcds and an exile 800.4 for the sx65s. amp wire kit and random parts will easily run 200 or more.

bhowell
04-06-2011, 04:01 PM
i would look into an exile harpoon for the hlcds and an exile 800.4 for the sx65s. amp wire kit and random parts will easily run 200 or more.

Sounds like another $700... Does it really make that much difference? I'd definitely be interested to hear what your system sounds like... :D

Razzman
04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Sounds like another $700... Does it really make that much difference? I'd definitely be interested to hear what your system sounds like... :D

It makes all the difference in getting clean power to the tower speakers. The Harpoon will run the two now and another pair later when your ready.

Brianinpdx
04-06-2011, 07:00 PM
BH - glad to hear your looking at Exile gear for your Moomba.

here's a couple of answers for you...

Here is what I'm considering.

3 Pair Exile SX65s
1 Pair XM7s
2 JL JX360/4 (1 Unbridged for Cabin, 1 Bridged fro HLCDs)

1. Are the Amps sufficient?
** yes this would work. But it doesnt leave you any room to grow the system. It's been my experience (trust me on this one), guys that create a budget for themselves become their own worst enemy and start adding additional towers into the mix. If you wanted to upgrade down the road. that 360.4 would be a problem. the Option RD mentioned was to use the harpoon, and over power 1 pair of XM7 but it leaves future room for the upgrade down the path. It also has a Thrtottle box feature that allows you to tweek the output of the XM7 horns. There's more info on our website if you'd like to read up.

2. What should these Parts Cost?
*** shoot me a PM and I can cost out the Exile gear.

3. What should Other Install Parts Cost?
*** this depends on a few things like the present battery situation of your setup, and the power distribution blocks in use etc. I can also give you some idea's on these costs if you provide me with that info in a PM.

4. What should Install Labor Cost?
*** If your going to have a shop do it, I can give you a few referals to guys in your market that carry Exile. This might be the best place to start on the quote of the entire system and install.

I also have a JL10W3 - 10" Sub being pushed by a bridged Punch 201s (~200 RMS) which will be staying in the boat. The Stock Kenwoods (pushed by head unit), the Polk MM651s on the tower, and Eclipse EA2212 (tower amp) will be coming out.

*** good choices here. I always suggest to repower, or redo your cabin setup with an amplifier, and make sure you have a subwoofer in play as it gives the over all system an additional octave of sound reproduction.

-Brian
Exile Audio

Let me know what you think.

rdlangston13
04-06-2011, 09:09 PM
I am not sure where in Houston you are located but judging from the picture you have on here it looks like north houston, woodlands area maybe? or what lake you go to but we will be on Lake Somerville April 16 and 17 if you are up there you are more than welcome to come out on my boat and check it out. Ill even pull you so you can hear the towers at boarding distance. I don't have much bass yet but hopefully that will be fixed by then.

keep in mind that I do not have the HLCDs

bhowell
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I am not sure where in Houston you are located but judging from the picture you have on here it looks like north houston, woodlands area maybe? or what lake you go to but we will be on Lake Somerville April 16 and 17 if you are up there you are more than welcome to come out on my boat and check it out. Ill even pull you so you can hear the towers at boarding distance. I don't have much bass yet but hopefully that will be fixed by then.

keep in mind that I do not have the HLCDs

I actually live near downtown very close to Washington Ave if you ever go out to the bars there. The picture was taken in Kingwood where I'm currently storing the boat near Lake Houston and the Upper San Jac. Last weekend and this weekend, I'm headed up to Lake Livingston.

I'd love to check your tune outs. I'm not set on the HLCDs its more about a balance between good sound and value while being able to hear it while boarding. I'll send you a PM about maybe coming out.

bhowell
04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
It makes all the difference in getting clean power to the tower speakers. The Harpoon will run the two now and another pair later when your ready.

It's been my experience (trust me on this one), guys that create a budget for themselves become their own worst enemy and start adding additional towers into the mix. If you wanted to upgrade down the road. that 360.4 would be a problem. the Option RD mentioned was to use the harpoon, and over power 1 pair of XM7 but it leaves future room for the upgrade down the path. It also has a Thrtottle box feature that allows you to tweek the output of the XM7 horns.

Is one set of Tower speakers really not sufficient? It seems everyone assumes that you need more. What's the logic behind this? Can't hear two speakers well while riding? Not enough WOW factor? Louder at the party zone?

KG's Supra24
04-07-2011, 03:53 PM
? Not enough WOW factor

A pair of HLCDs can be heard at wakeboard distance, no problem.

bbuhtz
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
think of it as headlights on your rig.... one set is nice, but put two sets up front and you can see around 30% more. in general same with speakers. i have no statistical evidence of this but in my experience putting 2 sets of tower speakers i could hear much better and clearer than just 1 set imo.

rdlangston13
04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
and one set looks funny