PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget to Check the Operator Licensing Requirements for your State

zabooda
04-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Washington State requires 35 years old or younger to have an operators license for 2011 and the age increases each year. The attached link is one of the few free online tests that qualify but the state still wants their ten bucks. Click on your state and see what they require.

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/default.asp

sandm
04-06-2011, 07:56 AM
sometimes I think that this is a good thing, but then again, not sure that it would really make a difference as I drive to work every day and think that drivers licenses are no gauge of a person's ability to operate a motor vehicle :)

moombadaze
04-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Well said sandm

zabooda
04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I forgot to add that a boater test usually qualifies for an insurance discount. In my case it was 10%. I took the free Oregon test back in the early 90's just to get the discount.

zabooda
04-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I used two screens at work today and just keyed through the information and took the tests. If you're unsure then type the question in google and there is answers already out there. It won't let you copy and paste.

DOCDRS
04-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Canada has just increased the requirements for a PCOC . As of April 15 a minimum of 3 hours of study time will be required to study the 5 chapter online course, passing chapter quizzes sequentially, and finally taking a 50 question exam. Get yours before the change ,you have 8 days left

Ian Brantford
04-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Canada has just increased the requirements for a PCOC . As of April 15 a minimum of 3 hours of study time will be required to study the 5 chapter online course, passing chapter quizzes sequentially, and finally taking a 50 question exam. Get yours before the change ,you have 8 days left

Thanks for the reminder! I have mine, but want some relatives and friends to get theirs so that there is a wider selection of alternate drivers.

bbuhtz
04-07-2011, 02:20 PM
i think my USCG 100 Ton Master License qualifies... but i did take the online one for my gf while she was at work... lol just incase i become under the influence, good to have an alt captain of my vessel. :D

jmb
04-07-2011, 08:23 PM
If we just attend a U.S. Coast Guard Auxillary 2 night class then you don't have to take the test here. That was easier for my wife

jester
04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
The Coast guard Aux is a great location for information. If you want to know about some boating laws go to the link below. It breaks it down per state and per section like lift jackets or if you need a third person in the boat. The only problem is the state has to update the information when they change it.

http://www.cgaux.org/boatinged/boating_law.php

Mikey
04-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Curious to know what and if States are going to recognize our CANADIAN certifications as we are required to have now as of last year,or is this another cash cow kinda thing thats gonna say ours is no good. At least ours is Country wide although how heavily enforced i've yet to see. We frequently boat in Idaho and i have to buy a SAVE THE FISH STICKER? Whatever its called which i'm ok with but Hopefully our licences will be OK as like lifevest etc they have similar standards. Any one know more about this?

bbuhtz
04-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Curious to know what and if States are going to recognize our CANADIAN certifications as we are required to have now as of last year,or is this another cash cow kinda thing thats gonna say ours is no good. At least ours is Country wide although how heavily enforced i've yet to see. We frequently boat in Idaho and i have to buy a SAVE THE FISH STICKER? Whatever its called which i'm ok with but Hopefully our licences will be OK as like lifevest etc they have similar standards. Any one know more about this?

i would likely expect them not to recognize a CANADIAN certification in the states that require some sort of license soley because i'm sure they are not trained on that license being legit. now would the officer really throw the law at you or not, thats another story. some officers feel the need to give you a ticket reguardless. if it were me, i wouldn't worry about it.