PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Moomba Outback starting problems

kwoodard1986
04-05-2011, 09:47 PM
I just bought my first Moomba last year. Bought it used with about 80 hours. The second or third time we took it out to the river it began giving me trouble starting. It starts fine when we first get there. We usually ride for about two hours or so and then head to the sandbar and hang there for the rest of the day(about 4 or 5 hours). The boat starts fine and will idle but seems like it won't take the gas when put in gear. It acts like it wants to shut off and then I will put it back in neutral and it will idle fine. Eventually, after a few minutes of idling, it will shut off. I crank it over numerous times but it won't fire up. Eventually, after ten minutes of cranking it for a few seconds and letting it sit for a minute before cranking it again, it will fire up and ride fine the rest of the day. I took it back to the dealer and of course they couldn't duplicate my problem. They ended up changing the fuel filter and I didn't have any problems for nearly the rest of the summer. It did it again at the end of the summer and they changed the filter again after I put about 100hrs between filter changes. It ran fine again after that. I just started taking it out again and it has been running fine until a week or so ago. I changed the filter myself this time cuz the dealer charged me $130 to do it last time and I didn't realize how easy it was. But the same day I changed the filter it did the same thing to me. Has anybody had this happen or can someone please point me in the right direction? Sorry for the long explanation. Just wanted to give as much info as possible.

maxpower220
04-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Do a search for vapor lock.

kwoodard1986
04-06-2011, 06:11 PM
How would I go about doing that?

maxpower220
04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
At the top of the forum page, there is a list of "User CP, FAQ, .... Search. Click on this "Search" key and enter in "Vapor Lock". It will search the forum for all inputs where vapor lock was discussed.

BTW, your fuel pump is in the engine compartment (instead of in the fuel tank). When you run the boat for a long time, a lot of heat builds up in the engine compartment. If/When you stop for a little while, that heat will transfer all over as there is no venting without movement of the boat or running blower. The fuel heats up in the fuel pump and creates a vapor, that vapor "locks" the ability of the fuel pump to pump liquid. If will pump enough to idle your engine for a short time.
2 fixes: 1. Open your engine box to air it out while you are stopped. 2. If it does vapor lock, you can pour a few cups of water on the fuel pump itself and cool it down. Start the engine and rev it a few times for get "cool" fuel from the tank flowing and then you are fine.

Several boats have this issue. You notice that each boat maker is now making in tank fuel pumps.

kwoodard1986
04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the help. I'll def try that next time we are out there.

skiyaker
04-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I first realized the utility of the Moomba forum when my boat did this last year while we were in Kentucky and temp was about 100. My wife started to look concerned and I said "no problem I think I can fix this" flipped up the engine cover poured some water on what at the time was my best guess was the fuel pump and away we went. Now I just leave the blower on and no problem.

I can't wait for it to get warm enough to have vapor lock again!