PDA

View Full Version : Best way to plug holes from thru hulls?

bergermaister
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm moving my thru hulls from the back of the boat to the sides for my new ballast setup. Just don't think they'll work back there, sitting so low without major leakage when the bags are full...

See below...
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/8ad5202b-1.jpg

My bilge runs out one on the starboard side (4 holes total) there are 2 for drains and one shared vent. I may leave the bilge alone or may move it up to the side under the rub rail where the new thru hulls would be going.

I'm not real excited about doing any fiberglass work if I can avoid it - wondering what should I do to fill or plug the old thru hulls? (Besides corks - ha ha)

moombadaze
04-04-2011, 07:53 PM
personally-I'd leave the thruhulls in place and corkem from the inside

brain_rinse
04-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I wouldn't mess with fiberglass work either. What about taking a small length of hose and hook one thru-hull to the other? Then it's just a loop and any water that comes in goes right back out.

wolfeman131
04-04-2011, 10:22 PM
That's an ingenious solution, Dan!

jmvotto
04-04-2011, 10:32 PM
get threaded thru hulls and cap the ones you do not need.

Dan's idea works if you eliminate all four on the transom.:D

DOCDRS
04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I would just stick a wine cork in it when your surfing. If you do move them then the best way is to have them on the contralateral side to the bag otherwise it will still drain out. I have the Jabsco withipsilateral venting and have opted to wine cork it when I fill ballast bag to full cap.You could also run your vent hose forward and loop it deck high before you take it back to the vent hole and that should work as well. Easier than capping and drilling new holes.

bergermaister
04-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I was doing the wine cork "solution" with my smaller bags when they were plumbed in - had to because there wasn't a high loop in that setup and they'd drain pretty fast.

I've gone back and forth with this "new design" where to vent/drain and back to the drawing board way too many times. (WakeMakers is probably getting tired of my "what if" emails and drawings...)

I suppose running a few extra feet of vent line and drain line for high loops and then still dumping it out the back outlets would be the most economical route and cosmetically sound, just not necessarily the cleanest behind the scenes and underneath in the compartments.

Hmmm.

viking
04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
What about a flush mount transom remote back there?

jmvotto
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
What about a flush mount transom remote back there?

beat me too it., he would need one for each side:confused:

newty
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Other Ideas include,
shower,
turn signals,
back-up lights,
water cannon, (that would make water sports interesting)
mounting point for your BBQ
Beer tap (s), You could feature 4 NW beers! For the win!

Or... put a hole row of them in and set it up like knight rider where the light strobes right and left! That would be sthooper awethome!:p

Seriously I'd stick some LED's in there! I'd switch them to chrome (you will notice them less) and either do an LED or plug them.

bergermaister
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
You're just FULLLLLL of great ideas aren'tcha Ryan...

Actually the beer taps isn't a bad. I could use kegs for ballast although I'm sure they'd drain way too fast...

I was out there yet again last night in the rain contemplating just keeping and using them and rerouting my vent and drain lines way up the sides and making a big high loop before heading back to the stern.

It could be done and still be a fairly clean install. Got to wondering about the T1200's being strong enough to push through that much tube, up about 2-2.5ft and then clear back out for draining the bags. About 24 ft of travel total with the rise at midpoint...

Are they strong enough to do it...?

(also, my transom remote is already up higher above the rub rail on the little angled edge more facing up - I liked it that way since it is covered when my cover is on)

DOCDRS
04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Once you get them draining there will be no problem due to the siphoning effect. The main reason you need to do this in the first place

jmvotto
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
the t1200 are a beast, should not have a problem. when draining the bags manually and the kids are floating around on the tubes, we would fire hose them with it.

my .02