PDA

View Full Version : Attwood?

wakeflip
04-02-2011, 06:59 AM
I just cleaned all the vinyl in my boat and need some kind of uv protector to put on before I hit the sun for two days. I dont have time to order anything, and none of my local marinas have anything for protecting vinyl. They all say they will have to order stuff. My question is, walmart sells an Attwood vinyl cleaner and polish with uv protectant. Is this stuff any good at all? I went ahead and bought it and used it on one seat. Its not greasy at all and actually makes the seat look dull. I dont care about the look, I just want something thats going to actually protect the vinyl and not degrade it that I can get without having to order. Or is there something else anybody can recommend that I can pick up at a local store? (walmart, auto parts store)

wakeflip
04-02-2011, 07:44 AM
ok, so I had a marina tell me to put baby oil on the vinyl??? He said clean it with Totaly Awsome the coat it with baby oil. That way the vinyl soaks up the oils and it stays soft. Anybody ever heard of that? Im not too sure about the idea because it doesnt have any type of uv protection.

jmvotto
04-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Never used it but as long as it has some uv protection it should be fine, i use 303 aerospace as well as others do.

wakeflip
04-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Yeah thats what I would like to get ahold of but I have no idea who would carry it locally around here.

ptcbtchr
04-02-2011, 08:02 AM
I have used 303 marine protectant for years. Only issue is that it can make the vinyl a bit slippery, but it makes the vinyl nice and shiny and also provides uv protection. It's actually recommended by the Mfg of the vinyl used in moomba. I know our walmart doesn't stock it, I bought mine online (check amazon or overtons.com) They also sell a cleaner that won't damage the vinyl as well. As to baby oil, I would be careful, some oils contain petroleum products which can actually shorten the life of the vinyl and I would think it would be extremely slippery.

Mark

james yarosz
04-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Camping World and most RV dealers carry 303.

Razzman
04-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Babes Seat Saver, uv protection without the slipperyness. Been using it for years without issue.

sandm
04-02-2011, 10:36 AM
^and it smells delish...... :)

WaterBullDawg1980
04-30-2011, 05:29 PM
I use 303, and my marina carries it.

I would also recommend Totally Awesome. I had a corner of one of my seats that for some reason had black mold grow on it despite sitting in a closet and I could not get it off while using a bruch with Malco, 303 cleaner, and even plain soap. I tried Totally Awesome after hearing good things about it on Wake World and it was insane. Came right off and I hardly had to scrub. Love that stuff.

viking
04-30-2011, 06:08 PM
sounds like it was ...................... totally awesome? :D

brain_rinse
04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
You don't have to rush to protect the seats. Just wipe them down with a damp cloth so there is no residual cleaner left on the surface, and order one of the good products mentioned above. There is a UV topcoat on the vinyl, so unless that's gone you'll be fine for quite awhile with no chemical protectants.

rdlangston13
04-30-2011, 06:35 PM
How often do should you clean the vinyl and apply UV protection products?

viking
05-01-2011, 12:40 AM
How often do should you clean the vinyl and apply UV protection products?

I don't know about recommended schedule but here is what I do:

1.) Spring clean with Malco yearly. This includes brushing the vinyl for a deeper clean. Once you do this you can really tell the difference. Trust me!
2.) I use 303 and spray/wipe down the vinyl on average once a month. Keep in mind I only go out on the weekends during the season and otherwise my baby is tucked in a covered garage. If it was stored out in the sun it would be a weekly occurance.
3.) On the rare occasion that something is spilled, sun tan lotion or oil, tree sap, whatever gets on the vinyl that shouldn't be.......I use BABES Seat Soap to clean it up (after a good wipe with cold water) and then she gets the 303 treatment.