PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood TSC-55 (Aeware) Remote Compatibility

E4NASH
03-31-2011, 06:59 PM
So, I had my dealer install a Transom remote before I pick up my new (to me) boat this weekend. They installed the Kenwood TSC-55 remote. Its the same as the driver's remote (Aeware). Evidently the previous owner switched out the stock head unit for a different one and neither remotes control the radio.

The dealer told me he could order the KMR330 and it is compatible but that is the only one that he has access to from the dealer site.

Do any of you know another head unit that is compatible with this remote? I would prefer one that has iPod controls.

What about the KMR-700U? I found that the KCA-RC60MR remote will control both the 330 AND the 700. So if that one works with the 330 and the 700 wouldn't the TSC-55 work with the 700U also?

Thanks!

-E

casmith71
03-31-2011, 11:15 PM
i had the same problem with my boat. the previous owner had installed a jbl marine HU that would not work w/the aeware remote. did some research on this same forum and decided to get the KMR-440U. any marine HU w/a steering wheel control wire will work for both remotes. The wire is aqua blue w/a yellow stripe.
hope this helps.

E4NASH
03-31-2011, 11:23 PM
i had the same problem with my boat. the previous owner had installed a jbl marine HU that would not work w/the aeware remote. did some research on this same forum and decided to get the KMR-440U. any marine HU w/a steering wheel control wire will work for both remotes. The wire is aqua blue w/a yellow stripe.
hope this helps.

So, you have both the front and transom remotes that are the white Aeware ones and they work PERFECTLY with the KMR-440U?? That is the head unit I want and if this is true then I have no more problem...

casmith71
04-01-2011, 12:56 AM
i do not have a transom remote:( but from everything i have read, i believe there is a Y connector to hook two remotes to the HU. If u can't find the Y connector the steering wheel control wire is only one wire. it seams that u could connect more than one wire to it and get the same function w/both remotes.(try doing a search on the forum for " dual remote hook up") The kenwood 107 remote IS NOT a one wire hook up. the 107 is a multin pin pig style that has a seperate hook up in the back of the HU. The remotes u have are just a one wire hook up to the HU. i cant vauch for both, but i know one will work for the 440u. the 440u also has a usb input in the front for ur ipod and full controls of the ipod from remote or head unit.

casmith71
04-01-2011, 12:57 AM
how much did the dealer charge for remote and install on the transom.im thinking of doing this also.

ian ashton
04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Adding the 2nd remote is super easy, it requires 3 small holes to be drilled, and the running of a little wire. It would probably take you no more than 30 minutes.

The nice thing about the 1-wire remotes is that you can just connect them together and they work, just gotta match up the colors, lol.

jmvotto
04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Are these backlit at all, I want to add a transom remote and can't remember if its backlit the tsc 55

E4NASH
04-01-2011, 10:30 AM
how much did the dealer charge for remote and install on the transom.im thinking of doing this also.

It was about $145 installed. But because I have such an awesome dealer they aren't going to charge me since it doesn't work with the current unit. I don't believe it's backlit.

ian ashton
04-01-2011, 11:22 AM
The Kenwood units are backlit.

jmvotto
04-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Ian do the kenwoods y together with the aeware tsc 55

Razzman
04-01-2011, 12:04 PM
FYI for those with/considering the Gekko Alliance / Aeware remotes, they are NOT marine audio remotes. In fact they are not even vehicle audio period. They are SPA wired keypads ... yes spa, as in hot tub. SC uses them because they are dirt cheap and work genericlly with a variety of HU's. The white one from a couple years are NOT backlit, they will NOT operate your ipod, what they will do is on/off, band, volume & mute if i remember right. These are discontinued.

There is/was a version two of that remote but from I found out it two is pretty much discontinued as well. If you guys want remotes then my suggestion would be to get the proper ones for your HU's if you want full features.

ian ashton
04-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Ian do the kenwoods y together with the aeware tsc 55

That I do not know, I just know that I used 2 Kenwood KCA RC50MR's, spliced the wires together, and they work. Backlights are controlled by Nav lights being on.

sandm
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
nash, the 700u is a different animal from the other kenwood decks. it will ONLY support the 107r remote. none of the others are compatible with it. I know this as I spent time on the phone with kenwood and then tried to plug my old transom remote, the kcar100 into the 700u and although they are both a din-style cable, they are not compatible. I had to order the 107r. the instruction manual does list that the 107 is the only remote that will work with it, and earmark's site only shows the 107r as the compatible remote. the 700, unlike some of the other kenwood decks will support up to 3 of the 107r's tho.
each 107r gets a unique "address" similar to an ip.
I don't know much about the rest of the kenwood lineup, but if you do the 700u, you must replace all the remotes with the 107r's.

E4NASH
04-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the input. After doing a little research on the board I'm having the dealer swap my unit for the KMR-440U hopefully the existing remotes will work. If not I will swap them out accordingly at a later time.

harmsway
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
I believe the 440u HU will work fine with the transom remote. You can wire multiple 1 wire remotes together and they will all control the HU thru the steering wheel control wire. And the best thing about the 440u you can add the digital 107r remote later @ the driver seat and it will control every aspect of the stereo system. I have a usb stick in the HU and do not have to open the glove box unless I change the usb stick. Great set up I don't beleive you can go wrong with the 440u.

casmith71
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
i see you got the boat. did the 440u work with both remotes?

E4NASH
04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
i see you got the boat. did the 440u work with both remotes?

I got the boat but the radio is being shipped to me and I will install it myself. I will let you know once I get it installed.

E4NASH
04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I received the radio today and will install it over the weekend. I was thinking of adding a remote in the bow. Has anyone done this?

mmandley
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
I havnt installed a remote in the bow yet. All it takes is a small hole for the cable behind the remote and some 3m tape which im sure the remove comes with it.

Just have to make sure the wire will make it to the plug and the deck can use multiple remotes before you drill. Also double and triple check before you drill.

Have you drilled Gell coat before?

E4NASH
04-19-2011, 01:12 PM
No, But I was thinking of putting the remote inside the bow like near one of the speakers. I do know that you are supposed to cover the area with tape and drill backwards to get through the gell coat to avoid cracking...right?

E4NASH
04-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Installed the radio tonight. Both driver and transom remotes work. I was not able to test if it will change tracks on the i-pod but I will check that this weekend.

casmith71
04-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Make sure the play mode on the 440u is in hands off mode and u can skip tracks with the remote . If the ipod is hooked up to the usb

mmandley
04-20-2011, 11:26 AM
E4 yes tape the area up with a couple layers of tape, this helps stop chipping and the bit wont walk as easy. Always start in reverse when drilling and use a sharp bit. You can switch to forward once your threw the gell coat but most of the time i just drill it in reverse.

dhyams
10-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I figured that this was the best place for this info..

The Kenwood KDC-352U works just fine with the Aeware remote. I would be willing to bet that the following work too, which share an instruction manual w/ the 352U:
KDC-X396
KDC-252U
KDC-202U
KDC-MP252U
KDC-MP152U
KMR-350U