PDA

View Full Version : Grindwater Surfboard

Sea N' Things
03-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Does anyone have or had a board made by Grindwater. I am looking at buying one and not too sure if it is good or not???

kaneboats
03-29-2011, 01:35 PM
I think Al has a couple of these and has posted up pics and thoughts on them. Search on "Grindwater", "Slaysh" (I think) and is it "Shakah"?? Whatever the models are.

Eric Z
04-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I just bought the Slaysh. Got a great deal I hope it is a good board.

BobP
04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
We tried the Slaysh last year. I personally did not like it. We have an 08 Outback V, and even with 750lbs sacs in the back I had to work the board way to hard to not lose the pocket. Seemed very slow. I'm about 165-170lbs. A friend around 200+ lbs could not even drop the rope with it. Those with bigger boats and possibly the 09 OBVs with deeper hull might have better luck with it. Note, with the same boat setup we have no problem surfing with Hyperlite Swell, IS Blue Lake, IS Sweet Spot, CWB Ride, Hyperlite Broadcast (5'6" I think). Some of these are bigger boards but the Swell is only 4'3" I think and the Sweet Spot 4'9". That same guy that couldn't go rope free with the Slaysh had no problem with the Swell.

We got a Fly-boy James Walker Signature model over the Fall (a smallish board too), can't wait to try it out.

jmeacham
04-10-2011, 02:04 AM
Oh No! We just bought a 2010 Shapiro VSTAR for our daughter at the boat show. We have an 08 OBV with 750 as well. Lets hope that since this board is built for the lighter riders (<180lbs), we wont have the same issue. This is her first wakesurf board.

I also have the IS Blue Lake and dont have any problems keeping it in the pocket, etc.

We are hoping to get out in the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to report back.

-J

We tried the Slaysh last year. I personally did not like it. We have an 08 Outback V, and even with 750lbs sacs in the back I had to work the board way to hard to not lose the pocket. Seemed very slow. I'm about 165-170lbs. A friend around 200+ lbs could not even drop the rope with it. Those with bigger boats and possibly the 09 OBVs with deeper hull might have better luck with it. Note, with the same boat setup we have no problem surfing with Hyperlite Swell, IS Blue Lake, IS Sweet Spot, CWB Ride, Hyperlite Broadcast (5'6" I think). Some of these are bigger boards but the Swell is only 4'3" I think and the Sweet Spot 4'9". That same guy that couldn't go rope free with the Slaysh had no problem with the Swell.

We got a Fly-boy James Walker Signature model over the Fall (a smallish board too), can't wait to try it out.

BobP
04-10-2011, 08:54 AM
I think the lighter you are the better it will be. She will probably
have no problem. I'd like to give the Slaysh a try again, just to
see if it wasn't user error.

mmandley
04-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Does anyone have or had a board made by Grindwater. I am looking at buying one and not too sure if it is good or not???

Me and Al both have the exact same boards.

Its a Grinwater Shaka dark grey in color.

Great board, Al loves his and rose it a lot last year. I think its geared more for riders around and under 200. I rode mine a few times and i just felt like i was a bit to heavy for it, its really responsive and feels pretty fast for a board of its length. You do have to be carefull as its dings and will chip extremely easy.

Tossing the surf rope and it hit the board causing a dimple, then my buddy put mine in the Z5 and the bungy cord was to tight and cracked the nose, so i have to get it resealed.

I do like the board a lot though. Great intermediate board.