PDA

View Full Version : Got stranded this past weekend

you da man
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Ran about 35-40 miles of water this past Saturday. Decided to float and watch the sunset with my girlfriend then head back to the ramp. Went to start the engine and it would only crank, not start. After a couple attempts it started but the engine idled extremely rough and the tach was jumping from 300-500. Tried to put it in gear and it would stall. Called my buddy who was on the lake with his Supra and he came over. He had a spare fuel filter on his boat and we swapped mine out. Turned the key to "run" a couple times to fill/prime the new filter and it started on the first try and ran fine. I guess I'll be keeping a spare fuel filter from now on.

brain_rinse
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Yikes, glad you had that buddy to help out. How many hours did you have on that fuel filter?

jester
03-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Are you sure that was not a good reason to spend more time on the lake with the Girlfriend?

Good to hear you had a friend with a spair part that fixed the problem real quick.

scoot_gt
03-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Ran about 35-40 miles of water this past Saturday. Decided to float and watch the sunset with my girlfriend then head back to the ramp. Went to start the engine and it would only crank, not start. After a couple attempts it started but the engine idled extremely rough and the tach was jumping from 300-500.

Possible vapor lock?

you da man
03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Possible vapor lock?

I don't think so but thought of that. Also thought IF it's vapor lock, wouldn't it start or not start...not just barely idle and stall when I put it in forward. It started within a few cranks and ran very rough. Plus, from the time it ran fine to where we floated was only a 2-3 mile run, we floated for an hour, and low humidity and 80 degrees.

newty
03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
My buddy with an 08 outback had the same problems last spring. When it did finally start it ran rough like you said. Took it in to AWS, and they couldn't find anything wrong. In the previous service they had replaced a fuel line and filter but it ran for 3 or 4 sets before we just floated and had lunch, then it wouldn't start. Its run fine since. Have no idea why or what caused it.

you da man
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Yikes, glad you had that buddy to help out. How many hours did you have on that fuel filter?

Right at 53hrs

scoot_gt
03-29-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't think so but thought of that. Also thought IF it's vapor lock, wouldn't it start or not start...not just barely idle and stall when I put it in forward. It started within a few cranks and ran very rough. Plus, from the time it ran fine to where we floated was only a 2-3 mile run, we floated for an hour, and low humidity and 80 degrees.

They few times I vapor locked on my 06, it would start and run rough as you described - then die as soon as put into gear. One of the vapor lock times was not an unusually hot southern day either.

Do the 08s have the single fuel pump or 2? Always worth trying to dump some cold water over the pump.

murraymoomba
03-29-2011, 10:03 PM
I would say vapor lock. If it happens again pour 2 or 3 bottles of lake water on the fuel pump and it will crank right up. I know from experience......

maxpower220
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
That is classic vapor lock. You rode around enough to get the motor box heated up. Then you stopped and that heat transferred around the fuel in the fuel pump. When you put in a new filter, you probably lost some warm fuel in the line, you had the motor box open allowing natural cooling to take place, and allowed the fuel pump and fuel to cool down. Try to figure out where your fuel pump is located for a future issue like this. If it happens, pour some lake water directly on the pump to cool it down. Start the boat and get the "cool" fuel from the tank flowing again and you will have no other issues.

moombadaze
03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
another vote for vapor lock-been on a boat that did it and that sounds just like what it did.

wolfeman131
03-30-2011, 10:04 PM
yeah, lucky me it was my boat you were on!

I pour the cool water on the fuel filter though, not the fuel pump. Might have to try that trick too when it happens this summer.

TL7
03-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Anyone got pics showing the locations of fuel pump and filter, or is it time to break out the manual? Good info to know for future.....especially in the cool Texas summers. :D

mcdye
04-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Anyone got pics showing the locations of fuel pump and filter, or is it time to break out the manual? Good info to know for future.....especially in the cool Texas summers. :D

On my 2010 LSV the filter/pump is in the fuel tank.

kaneboats
04-01-2011, 08:42 AM
That's right. You guys will have to report in on any vapor lock issues with the newer setup.

scoot_gt
04-01-2011, 11:17 AM
That's right. You guys will have to report in on any vapor lock issues with the newer setup.

None last year with my 2010. But I only had vapor lock 2 or 3 times in 4 summers with my 06. However, I rarely run WOT anywhere and most weekends never even leave my cove (meaning little on the water engine time, other than riding time).

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
what is so different in cars and boats that my truck has never had vapor lock but it seems to be a common issue with boats?

c.rix
04-05-2011, 03:35 PM

so if it vapor locks you have to tell us how well the pour water on the pump trick works with the newer set up ;)

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 03:41 PM

i would imagine since the pump is submerged in fuel that it will stay cool. as long as you are not almost out of gas the fuel in the tank should have a cooling effect on the pump

scoot_gt
04-05-2011, 04:28 PM
what is so different in cars and boats that my truck has never had vapor lock but it seems to be a common issue with boats?

My guess is mainly just air flow, or the lack thereof. Maybe proximity to the engine block itself as well...?

moombadaze
04-05-2011, 04:36 PM
^^^pretty much got it with that statement

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Well cars pretty much all have fuel pumps located in the fuel tank allowing the fuel in the tank to cool the pumps. I see that they started doing this with the 2011 model year boats and I am wondering if this change will prevent a vapor lock issue. Now the boats fuel pump will be submerged in fuel allowing it to cool. Maybe this was the difference in why one was locking and one was not and perhaps this will correct the issue.

deerfield
04-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Well cars pretty much all have fuel pumps located in the fuel tank.... I see that they started doing this with the 2011 model year boats.... Now the boats fuel pump will be submerged in fuel allowing it to cool.

I don't want the fuel pump located inside the fuel tank. I'd rather deal with vapor lock than face the expense of repair or replace. It cost me a fortune to replace the fuel pump in my Suburban because it was buried inside the gas tank. Not again.

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't want the fuel pump located inside the fuel tank. I'd rather deal with vapor lock than face the expense of repair or replace. It cost me a fortune to replace the fuel pump in my Suburban because it was buried inside the gas tank. Not again.

that is a little different beast. in order to remove a fuel pump in the suburban you have to drop the fuel take out of the bottom of the truck. that it alot of work. the floor in these boats comes up to acces the fuel tank correct? usually there is some kind of spring steel retainer that holds the pump in the top of the tanks and you just pop it loose and the pump comes right out. should be simple

KSmith
04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
that is a little different beast. in order to remove a fuel pump in the suburban you have to drop the fuel take out of the bottom of the truck. that it alot of work. the floor in these boats comes up to acces the fuel tank correct? usually there is some kind of spring steel retainer that holds the pump in the top of the tanks and you just pop it loose and the pump comes right out. should be simple

Yup. My 2010 OBV there is an access port in the floor, pop it open and the pump is sitting right there. No worries.

deerfield
04-06-2011, 09:20 PM

In that case, I change my mind. As long as it's that simple.

rdlangston13
04-06-2011, 09:26 PM
i can't even think of a modern car that does not have a fuel pump located in the fuel tank. most passenger cars the pumps are easier to get to thank SUV's it is usually accessible under the rear seat or in the trunk. trucks you can just take the bed off or drop the tank, SUVs you HAVE to drop the tank tho.

i was a cadillac tech in my earlier days