PDA

View Full Version : Need help changing throttle cable

bamafutbal
03-28-2011, 10:42 PM
i have a 99 supra launch and need a cable changed. i cannot figure out how to get the black plate off at the shift lever. it has a silver ring in front of it and the only screw that shows is the one where you push in the button at bottom of the shift lever.
thanks
john

JesseC
03-29-2011, 01:57 PM
I though there was a inset allen screw at the bottom of the ring? Mine loved to fall off when trailering until I put some mild lock tight on it. I will look when I get home and take a second look for you.

bamafutbal
03-29-2011, 05:42 PM
thanks, i am making progress, i took out the 4 screws and small little allen screw, now the silver plate will not budge/come off
john

keith
03-31-2011, 07:24 AM
push the whole assembly towards the back of the boat as far in the hole as it will go, then pull out on the front first. this assembly is longer than the hole it is sitting in. most of the shifter is actually further back than the hole it passes through. after you get the thing to come loose at the front then pull out at the front and towards the front of the boat at the same time. Sorry but I forget what year they started doing drive by wire on the fi engines but if it is drive by wire there is only one cable to the back. if it is carbed there will be two to disconnect. at the tranny and the carb. If you are going to remove the cables and reuse them it will make life easier to put a mark with a sharpie where they are clamped on the end going to the tranny and so on then you wont have to adjust them at all.