PDA

View Full Version : Who made the boat decision at your house?

smokedog2
01-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Who sold who on your boat? It is generally assumed that wives buy houses.

If you are single, you will not understand this thread or the general philosophy that everything you want costs double. I bought more bling bling for under the tree this year than I have in the last five. Not even close to double, but I’m not done paying off my wife - or the boat for that matter.

My wife has yet to see my new 2005 Moomba LSV. I should get a commission from SC for the sales campaign I waged for my boat. I must have done something right because my wife is even talking about trying to ride behind the boat this year.

I was introduced to SC buy a friend with an early 80’s Supra DD. My wife enjoyed it and I went looking for a late model used boat in the $20k range, preferably a Supra and preferably a V drive since that is what my friend wished he had. I looked long and hard and believe it or not, I was unable to find a late model Supra V drive in the $20k range. I could not find a late model Supra V drive for $30k. I finally went to the local dealer, surprisingly located just down the road, and looked at a late model Supra V drive with 260+ hours for just over $36k. Parked right next to it was a brand new Moomba LSV.

If any of you have any idea what happened to me next, please let me know.
If you know of a late model tricked out Supra V drive for $19k, keep it to yourself.

Back at it,

SD2

P.S. The late model Supra V drive with 260+ hours is sold.

clark
01-25-2005, 09:00 PM
NICE BOAT. I just ordered an 05 Mobius LSV on January 17 from the boat show.

I sold my wife on the boat. She really wanted a bowrider about the same size. I have 2 sons, 16 and 19. It didn't hurt that they said if your gonna buy something like that (bowrider), then just don't buy a boat. It also didn't hurt that when we went for a test drive, just the two of us, she stated that the boat really looked good in the water. The ultimate decision was ours, but she knew what we wanted and was OK with it. Of course she did pick out the color. She always get to pick colors, even for my truck. Luckily for me, she picked a very sharp color. You know, it also doesn't hurt to throw out hints. We liked the red one like you got and also liked that boat in brittany blue. At the show, they had one that was yellow on top and brittany blue on bottom. That is what we got. I can't wait to see it on the water.

I think you will be really happy with the Mobius LSV. I love everything about it. I did tons of research boats before I bought it and feel really good about the decision, and feel really good about the dealership.

Clark

Will Watters
01-26-2005, 03:46 PM
These posts sure sound familiar;) . Like Clark, I did my research over the past couple of years and finally decided to plop down the change and buy a boat. Inside I knew what I wanted (an inboard) however, I suspected my wife was sure to want a plushy water rover I/O. Well to my surprise during our first walk through at the boat show, she zeroed in on the Moomba (along with my 16 year old wakeboarder son). I had secretly looked closely at the Malibu, Centurion and Moomba (no MC thankyou...) Once she locked onto the Moomba that was it. She also picked the color, Britney Blue. Counting the weeks before it arrives.:p

Sum
01-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Smokedog2....I feel your pain!

Warning: My story may be a looooong one.

I have been married to my wife for almost two years. When we got married I brought to the table a house, a truck, and a boat. I had no other debt. My wife on the other hand, came with some baggage. She brought with her $20K + in credit card debt, a townhouse in a run downneighborhood, and a $9K debt to her parents. Our initial plan was to stay in my house for 2 years until we sold her townhouse and paid off her debt. At that point we would buy a new house.

Six months into marriage she wore me down and finally convinced me to sell my house. My house was a two bedroom cottage in a historic district and was a bit too small for her. We sold my house and made $30K off of the sale. We used the money we made to pay off her $20K CC debt and to make a down payment on our new house.

We spent this past year trying everything short of giving away her pit of a townhouse to get out from under the $700 per month payment we were making on it. This money pit she brought with her caused me to go on a weekly allowance for the first time since moving out of my parents house almost 20 years ago. We finally sold her townhouse last November for a $10K loss. We had to take a $8K cash advance on a CC to be able to close on the sale.

Around this same time she comes to me and suggests that we sell my 1996 Ski Nautique. Her plan is to go a year without a boat so we can save the payments to pay off her $9K debt to her parents. When they are paid off at the end of the year, we will then take my year end bonus, along with our tax refund, and buy a new V-drive boat as well as a new car for her.

At the time when she proposed this I was seeing visions of sugar plums and V-drives dancing in my head. Without hesitation I agreed to her plan. After all, she was coming to me suggesting we get a new boat. How could I refuse? In hind sight I guess I didn't pay attention to the part where we agreed to get her a new car in six months while we wait a YEAR for a new boat. We proceed to sell my boat. We end up making $3500 off of it. Right about the same time we get my year end bonus from work. A month or so later we do our taxes and discover we are getting $6K back from the government.

We are now headed in the right direction. We are paying off the $8K cash advance used for her townhouse and well on our way towards a new boat. I'm thinking we may not have to wait until the end of the year for a new boat. Besides, the boat shows are coming up and I am getting a serious itch to go shop for boats.

About this time she starts talking about what kind of car she wants to buy. I say "car"? What car? We are buying a boat first. She proceeds to tell me that we cannot get a boat because we need to save the money we would make on payments to finish paying off her parents. I tell her she can wait on her car if she wants to pay off her parents. She's not happy with my reply.

Keep in mind that she already has a car that's paid for. Granted, it's a 2001 Hyundai with 60K miles on it, but what the hell, it's paid for. I no longer have a boat. Common sense would tell you that since we already have a car and no longer have a boat, we should get the new boat first. Once again, she is not happy with my reply. She proceeds to put a guilt trip on me about how we cannot afford a new boat and that we should pay off her parents first. I, on the other hand, am looking at a fat $6K tax refund thinking that the parents can wait. We give them $4K now and put $2K down on a new boat. Again, she is not happy with my answer.

Looking back on this whole thing I cannot believe that she actually had the nerve to ask me to go a year without a boat so she could have a new car and pay off her mountain of debt. I have no problem with paying off the debt she brought with her. Sooner or later we all make financial mistakes. I have made plenty. Being married I try not to look at things seperately. We are married and what's mine is hers and hers mine. However, everyone has their limits to how much you can give before you you need something in return. I think that I have given enough. It's time for me to take a little. And with that...I will take a new Mobius LSV!

Long story short, the finance application was sent to the boat dealership yesterday. I will be as giving and caring of a husband as I can, but it will be a cold day in hell before I pay off $39K of her debt and go a year without a boat just so she can have a new car!

The moral of the story..... sometimes you just have to grab your boys and tell your wife you are buying a boat. No further discussion needed.

Dave A
01-26-2005, 05:41 PM
I had been looking at Moombas for about a year. I convinced my wife it was time to go and look seriously. I was trying to keep costs down, so we went looking at the Outback. I told her we could add the tower and balast, not that she cared. We went out and test drove the Outback and both liked it. When we got back to the dealership, we started looking at other Moombas. After a few minutes she decided that she liked the LS better than the standard Outback. I started doing the math, still trying to be cheap, and realized we didn't need an Outback LS.

We will pick up our new Mobius LS with hydrolic wakeplate and front sacks in about 2 weeks. We both decided we should get what we wanted the 1st time around. She wouldn't go for yellow, so the boat is going to be brittany blue.

smokedog2
01-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Sum,

You win, tougher road than mine :).

I’ve been married 15 years and your story brings back a few memories. The shotgun she made me return even before we were married. The artwork I bought when we had no money. I had it custom framed with three mat$. She would not let it on a wall for three years. The next three years everyone that came to visit said WOW that is really nice. She still hates it.

SD2

lowdrag
01-27-2005, 06:49 AM
I went to a dealer near my wife's home town after I burnt the impeller up on my old boat. Saw the red gravity games mob ls on the floor and started drooling.

My wife knew she was in trouble from that point on. I kept making little comments about it for the next week. She told me to just go buy the thing since she knew whe wouldn't hear the end of it until I did.

Neither one of us regret the decision.

silverski
01-27-2005, 01:41 PM
To put a postitive spin on this....

Sometimes bringing the wife is not all bad. I went to the boat show last weekend after months of convincing the wife of a new boat. She is a participant in the boating process but not avid. Made a point of bringing her to show hoping to spark more interest.

Fully intented to purchase an outback based mostly on price. She sat in the outback but was drawn to the LSV. Couldn't get over "that damn hump in the middle". After a few price runs, we walked away purchasing the LSV. It may have cost me another 5k, but it is a hell of a lot more of a boat than my '93 Larson i/o and I am banking on spending more time on the water and it being more comfortable to bring friends. At that point, she could pick any color she wanted, because I now hope to be sitting in "our" boat looking at the color of other boats rather than admiring the color of my boat as it sits in the garage.

clark
01-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Silverski,

Now thats' the way to do it. What an upgrade. Nice job.

Clark