PDA

View Full Version : Fill Holes

moomba wannabe
03-26-2011, 03:45 PM
I have some existing holes from an old tower and will be trying to mount a new tower approximately where the old one was, but mounts will not exactly match. I plan to fill all the holes knowing I will be drilling some new ones, but believe some of the new holes may at least partially go where the filler is. I have a gel coat repair kit I planned to put over the filled holes knowing its not going to be an exact match. The gel coat kit directions state it wont stick to an epoxy, which I beleive MarineTex is and has been recommended as being drillable and tapable. Is there a better strong filler I should use like Kitty hair or Bondoglass?

11 Outback V
03-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Get some wooden dowels and a drill bit a little bigger than the dowel. Drill out the holes and cut the dowels about a 1/4" shorter then the hole. Champfer the ends of the dowels. Use regular polyester resin and coat the dowels. Place the dowels in the holes while the resin is still wet. When the resin sets up you can fill the low spots and finish with the gelcoat.
Now when you drill the new holescyou will actually have some meat there to support the new tower. It's pretty simple to do

moomba wannabe
03-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Is Formula 27 an acceptable resin?

11 Outback V
03-27-2011, 11:08 PM
any polyester resin will work. You can get it anywhere....home depot, lowes and just about any auto parts store

moomba wannabe
03-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Great, thanks for the help. Oh, are the wood dowels necessary or would I be OK if I injected the holes with straight resin. I'm a little paranoid about putting wood somewhere there is none (scared of it getting wet and rotting).

11 Outback V
03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
The little amount of wood from the rowels is nothing to worry about besides you are coating them w resin before you put them in. You could try just filling the holes w resin but I have never had good luck w any kind of strength that way. Resin by itself is very brittle and doing that you may be prone to cracking.
Just my .02

moomba wannabe
03-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Got it. Makes sense. Thanks for your guidance.