PDA

View Full Version : The long drive home.....

saskyrider
03-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Well, i finally got a break from Saskatchewan weather. About 12 days ago i get a call from my mom and dad who are wintering in McAllen Texas. Apparently dad's portable defribulator (sp?) that was implanted in dad's chest 8 years ago zapped him. They went to the hospital in McAllen which happens to be the top heart hospital in texas (so they were told anyways) and he was admitted overnight. they released him the next day and a week later he came back for a check up... all was good. But him and mom thought they should look into whether dad was still allowed to drive.... nope not for 6 months was what they were told. So my bro and i flew down to pick up their 5th wheel and truck and drive it home. We left at noon on saturday and arrived in regina sunday/monday morning at 3 am! We only stopped for 4 hours in Liberal, KS and jumped in the trailer for a nap. So 2300 miles in 39 hours. The only other stop was at a lake in texas in between mcallen and san antonio... don't know the name but there were tons of boats out so we stopped and went for a 15 minute swim just to say we did. We burnt $1600.00 in fuel coming home to!! damn headwinds.....

anyways that was my first trip to texas and i'd like to go back someday.... just not for that reason :D They actually flew dad home by air ambulance as they didn't feel safe with him flying commercial or us driving him. thank god for health insurance!! as the lady that helped mom out said the flight home for dad would cost around 90K!!!!

Geoff

lewisb13
03-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Wow man thats a heck of a drive!!! Glad to hear your old man is OK.

sandm
03-25-2011, 12:48 PM
long drive. glad it worked out..

moombadaze
03-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow, thats a long ass drive

Mikey
03-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Youch!! Glad all is well. Reminds me of years ago doing a trip out East ,with buddies all in a station wagon. We drove straight through except for gas and food from NYC to Calgary. 52hrs. shared by 4 drivers. One long Hot Smelly drive,gotta love fast food.