PDA

View Full Version : Remote not working

dess03
03-24-2011, 07:44 PM
03 lsv with factory kenwood stereo and i cant get the remote above my swim platform to work any suggestions on where to start looking

EarmarkMarine
03-24-2011, 10:11 PM
dess03,
I'm assuming that in your year the source unit is on the driver's side so the only remote that you have is on the transom.
There is only a single conductor connection between the remote control and the source unit which is the pulse command data. Check that to see if its securely plugged in to the rear of the source chassis pigtail. All other remote wiring (B+ supply, ground and illumination) are wired to the boat independent of the source unit. You will have hardwired connections at both the supply and remote end of the 4-conductor cable. With a $10 multimeter you can verify continuity and voltage at both ends. Usually when you have a bad remote it will disrupt the source unit operations so maybe its just a basic connection that needs attention. You can always disconnect the remote and wire it directly to the source unit and dash supply as a test and circumvent a corroided cable. That should narrow it down to either the remote or wiring.
And no pressure washing any water resistant remote control.

David
Earmark Marine

dess03
03-25-2011, 12:13 AM
my stereo is n the glove compartment and i have two remotes one at the controls and one at the rear of the boat the one at the controls work the other doesn't

EarmarkMarine
03-25-2011, 09:07 AM
dess03,
That's even better because you can rotate the remotes to determine whether its a wiring or a remote issue. The source unit operation is a known now since it functions with one of the remotes. Btw, each of the four wires will simply be in parallel at their terminations, whether data, power or ground.

David
Earmark Marine