PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard Tower Questions

mudaa
03-24-2011, 09:29 AM
Since summer is not too far off and I can pull my 04 LS out of Winter storage in Mid April, I am looking to install a Wakeboard tower. I did call a few Moomba dealers and to get the OEM tower it was every bit of $3000. So then I called the factory and they recommended a place down the street from them called newdimensiontowers. I did give them a call and there price was about $1800. However that was for an exact fit one that is made for the Outback. So does anyone know of a better deal out there by chance. I have seen a few sites where they are selling a 4 point tower for around $1000, but they do look fairly cheesy. I have seen a few wakeboard poles going for around $200 just to play around on, so Im not sure if the tower will make a big diffrence. Any thoughts?

bergermaister
03-24-2011, 09:43 AM
Are you planning the install yourself? You might consider checking out these guys.

http://stores.ebay.com/H2O-Sports-Warehouse

Pretty decent looking towers and budget friendly if that is a concern.

Hoopskier
03-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Pylon pole vs Tower, I wouldn't think there would be any difference for your wakeboarder(or insert other activity). I never had a pole.

The tower is for those people in the boat. Tower does not affect forward vision, due to no support cables. Tower give you mounting point for other things such as racks, bimini cover, lights, or speakers. One less item IN the boat. In my opinion, depending on the boat, makes a boat more attractive.

Pole is more economical and flexable (to different boats). So you can sell if you don't like it. I believe some pole can accept wakeboat racks. I thought I had heard that the pole is hard on the OEM pylon due to little support for side to side.

If you decide to go for the full tower. Buy one that you like and compliments the looks of your boat, even if you have to wait and save some cash for a larger budget. Don't wanna put holes in the boat for something you dont like.

2007 Outback V
03-24-2011, 05:16 PM
1st things first! What's your budget? Do you plan on getting extras right away, board racks, bimini, speakers, lights? There are lots of choices, it all depends on what best fits your style and pocket book. Aftermarket is the way to go, you'll get the most bang for your buck. Another member with an Outback has been looking at different tower options the past few weeks, be sure to check out his thread https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=14019
Also, do some searches at wakeworld, lots of guys putting towers on their boats there.

I've heard that BigAir, Monster, and Areial Towers are all nicely priced, fairly easy installs, and solid towers. Here is a thread with a pic of the new Areial tower https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.phpt=13317&highlight=outback+tower&page=6

Good luck with your search, post pics when you get one on!

viking
03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I've personally been a fan of the ND towers for OEM look at 2/3's the price. But everyone has their own opinion. I was going to pull the trigger on one for my 90 supra comp but ended up trading it in on my current outback that came with the rad-a-cage.

moomba wannabe
03-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I've found there are ALOT of choices out there. I have a unique situation in that I'm trying to utilize existing holes vs. fill them, which is limiting my options but I still have a few. It really depends on what you wanna spend and what you think looks good. Personally I really like the factory tower look but I think almost any swoop design looks nearly as good. You can spend alot on custom USA made towers down to as little as around $600 for something made in China. Which made me cringe at first, but I did alot of reading on the internet and actually was surprised at how pleased most people are with just about every tower they happen to own, including the cheap ones. I have not been able to find one brand that has a "stay away from it" reputation. And I've found some towers claiming to be made in USA pretty reasonable as well, Joystick being one of them.

I plan on sticking with aluminum over steel for the weight savings, and it appears the H style towers are inherintly more rigid by design vs the simpler towers. I was ready to spend the $2K on the New Dimension for the factory look, but I'll probably be spending around half that which will probably include racks and a mirror. Happy hunting and post what you decide on, and the pics!

2007 Outback V
03-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Aerial Tower link, first try didn't work https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=13317&highlight=aerial+freeride+tower&page=6

snyderaaron
03-24-2011, 10:17 PM
me and my buddy bought ours at diywake.com (www.diywake.com) and it comes with a free wakeboard rack for 800

moomba wannabe
03-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Can you guys post some pics of the towers on your boats?

usaski1
03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
My take on towers: I had a closed bow 20 foot Calabria Shortline Comp, for 8 years. I have an Outback now. I had a pole, got it with the boat. It worked, but some things: With the pole, it was a pain in the A**! It had a strap that I always had issues with, took at least 10 min to put up or take down. THe wake washed out when pulling side to side. the pole would give, the "pull" would give. We lived with it not knowing what we were missing. When I couldnt sell the boat (2005 era) I decided to put an aftermarket tower on it. Cost $2200. Worth every penny. Quick and easy to put up or take down. No more soft "pull". no more @&%! cable to deal with. Should have just saved up and done it sooner. My only gripe with the Outback, I hate the forward folding tower. Once the tower is up, its fine.

RideNH
04-09-2011, 11:34 PM
We had a skylon tower installed at the start of last season on an 02' Kanga and it is such an improvement over the pylon.

gatorsmatthew15
07-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a 2007 Moomba Outback with the Wakeboarding Package, is it enough to hold one or two tubes off the wakeboard tower?

KG's Supra24
07-09-2012, 10:47 PM
It is generally recommended to tow tubes from the ski pylon and not the tower.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2