PDA

View Full Version : How many hours are too many?

E4NASH
03-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm looking to FINALLY get in the captains chair of a new (to me) Moomba. I am looking all over the internet for the right boat at the right price. It has to be under 25K and I am not interested in anything older than a 2003. I'd like to stay with 2004 or 2005. Thats pretty much all that is available in the price range I am in. I think I want a V drive but I'm not THAT picky because I know I am limited by price. My question is this: How many hours are too many. I know its like a car and if its well taken care of it won't matter too much but still. I found an '03 LSV with over 600 hours. It has all the features I'd really like to have and its a price I really like, Do you all think that is too many or too old? Also, when looking at used boats is there a general rule of thumb for average hours per year? Obviously warmer climate areas will potentially have more hours. I'd pretty much drive anywhere to pick up the right boat at the right price...you know what I mean.

Also, if a boat doesn't have a ballast system can the Gravity 1 or 2 system be installed after the fact? I saw a D-Drive Outback that sparked my interest but it doesn't have a ballast system.

Sorry for all the questions.

deafgoose
03-24-2011, 12:30 AM
I was under the impression 100hrs per year was normal use.

moombadaze
03-24-2011, 07:58 AM
my old LSV is still for sale in florida, think it had less or right at about 300 hrs and right in your price range. Any way, it was in perfect shape when i sold it to some friends and they kept it up, they sold and a year late it showed up for sale.

Do a boat trader search in florida

blue Mobius LSV ,graphics removed, single axle trailer

lsvboombox
03-24-2011, 08:06 AM
i think it depends where you are looking North or south... north boats on average may have less hours due to winter wer as the south ski's just about all year long....

iwakeboard
03-24-2011, 08:18 AM
I think 100 hours a year is normal use, and if it's well maintained it could run well over 1,000+ hours. I've got an '05 with over 700 hours, bought it two years ago with 500, and it runs just as good as when I bought it. There's not a particular hour mark where I say "well that's just too many," it's all about the owner and maintenance.

Yellowmobius
03-24-2011, 08:37 AM
I had 650 hours on my 2004 LSV, which I didn't think was all that many hours, it shouldn't have been. Anyway, head gasket blew and water was getting inside a cylinder, scored the cylinder wall.....dead engine. Cost me about $4G to get a long block installed. I believe it was a bit of a freak thing. I am thinking a guy should be able to get well over 1,000 hours on an engine.

KG's Supra24
03-24-2011, 09:25 AM
I have always heard 50 hours as an annual average. If you ask everyone here though, boat lovers, the 100 average sounds closer to right.

What do you plan to use the boat for? Unless you are wanting to slalom ALOT, I would narrow the search to a v-drive. It will make the search tougher but i bet you would be happier in the long run.

bergermaister
03-24-2011, 09:32 AM
I went through the same type of search looking for mine back in 2006. Under 25k but I was set on a v-drive. I wanted to get as new as I could for my price range but honestly anything that seemed new had 700-800 hours (or more) and often were dealer demo boats or looked good from a distance but were pretty well worn once you got up close. Was ready to drive 1400 miles to meet up with a guy in California and buy a Tige that seemed to be "the one" but he backed out of the deal.

Long story short, I stumbled across a 2001 MobiusV. A bit older than I had in mind but it only had 225 hours on it, and for being 5 years old was in amazing condition. It also helped that it was only 20 miles away. My thoughts were, the less a boat is used, the less wear and tear there is on everything from the engine to the interior - as long as it is kept clean and stored properly. So I bought it. I still get comments from people about how nice it is and clean and you wouldn't know it's 10 years old by looking at it.

Similar with my truck - I bought a 99 GMC in 2009 that only had 49k miles on it. You can tell too - the interior shows that it's low mileage. So although it may be older it's in great shape and feels newer...

I think I'd rather have a low hour boat that may be a little older, than an "almost new" one with high hours/usage. Same with a car/truck.

Only getting to run from about mid June-Sept, depending heavily on the weather up here, I average only 30-40 hours per season. Wish it were more!

FamilyMatters
03-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Here's one in Alabama that looks to be in good shape

http://www.lakemartin.com/Classifieds/ViewItem.asp?ClassifiedsID=3742

And Another!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2245440088.html

And I'd think you could get either for under $20000

Razzman
03-24-2011, 10:20 AM
An older boat with extremely low hours can be just as bad or worse than one with high hours. A buddy of mine bought a '98 Nautique Super Sport two years ago with 180 hours on it, I told him the same thing but he bought it anyway. He's replaced more on that boat than if it had 1,000 hours probably. They sit, things rot, fluid acids eat away and rust prevails. Whereas my brother-in-law has an '89 Sanger DX that has around 1,000 now and not one engine/trans/drive issue.

I sold my last boat with over 900 hours on it to a friend. Last time i talked to him the boat had over 1,200 hours and was still running great. I know of a couple with close to 2,000 hours, it's all in the maintenance. Out west 150 hours a year is not uncommon for those that board a lot, but 75 to 100 is closer to the average. 600 hours is nothing as long as it's been taken care of.

E4NASH
03-24-2011, 11:12 AM
...What do you plan to use the boat for? Unless you are wanting to slalom ALOT, I would narrow the search to a v-drive. It will make the search tougher but i bet you would be happier in the long run.

Well, this will be my first boat. I have 3 young kids so I know we will be tubing a lot. I'm a decent kneeboarder and The misses and I just started wakeboarding last summer. My wife's brother-in-law wakeboards but he has four winns that he is used to being pulled behind. None of us are doing any real tricks or anything like that.

I doubt we will go very often with more than 6 - 8 people in the boat.

I really prefer a V drive because of the room and seating...I should probably just stick with that and not just jump at one because its in my price range.

my old LSV is still for sale in florida, think it had less or right at about 300 hrs and right in your price range. Any way, it was in perfect shape when i sold it to some friends and they kept it up, they sold and a year late it showed up for sale.

Do a boat trader search in florida

blue Mobius LSV ,graphics removed, single axle trailer

I checked on that one yesterday...it's sold. :(

Thanks for all the input on the hours. I really appreciate it. The hard part is knowing and being sure that the seller did take as good care of it as they say or as it looks.

KG's Supra24
03-24-2011, 11:15 AM
With what you said above, I would not settle for a direct drive. If you look hard enough, you will find what you want. I really think you will regret not getting a v-drive and you will be looking again in a couple years, especially with little kids.

E4NASH
03-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Here's one in Alabama that looks to be in good shape

http://www.lakemartin.com/Classifieds/ViewItem.asp?ClassifiedsID=3742

And Another!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2245440088.html

And I'd think you could get either for under $20000

Both of those are D-Drives. I looked at them last night at home. The one in Alabama looks good and if I wouldn't think I would regret settling for a D-Drive instead of the V I'd probably consider picking it up. I know that whatever we get we'll have to use it for a while so I need it to be something that is practical and what I want. The kids are going to keep growing and so will their friends who want to come along.

If you all see any LSVs or OBVs less than 25K send them my way.

Razzman
03-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Look outside of the box so to speak, here's a good one, great boats, solid, proven hull and pretty much loaded, states $25,000 in the description, in Madison, Tennessee .

2002 Supra Launch 22SSV (http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27020)

And another, says $28,900 / make offer in Thomaston, GA

2003 Supra Launch 22SSV Gravity Games Edition (http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27944)

Sea N' Things
03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
It's not only the hours that you should be concerned about but also the maintance schedule and overall condition. Don't be quick to buy at the first think that comes your way but be prepared to jump at a deal....a bit like poker:)

FamilyMatters
03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Don't be too quick to count out the DD Try one each as you test Drive.
I take 8- 9 people regularly in the Outback and am shocked at how roomy it is! Partly because your all around the Outside edge. We Wakeboard 80% (W2W and Spins) and Tube about 10% (Nephews and Nieces) and Kneeboard and Slalom the other 10%. I can't believe as a Tenn fan you did'nt jump all over that orange LS. If you want to drive to GA you can go out with us and see first hand.

Now I did'nt choose the DD it chose me! It was $13,000 below book value!

Just my 2 cents!

Peace
Darren

KG's Supra24
03-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Razz, I too was going to suggest the early 2000's Launch's. Seem to be good boats and in the price range.

Don't be afraid to make offers either. If I wanted to spend $25, I wouldn't be afraid to look in the 28 to 30 range.

Razzman
03-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Razz, I too was going to suggest the early 2000's Launch's. Seem to be good boats and in the price range.

Don't be afraid to make offers either. If I wanted to spend $25, I wouldn't be afraid to look in the 28 to 30 range.

Exactly, I was all set to buy an '02 Launch when I stumbled upon the absolute, without-a-doubt, nobody-could-do-better-deal on mine!! :p

E4NASH
03-25-2011, 12:29 PM

I will look into those as well. I found an '03 OB LSV on Boat Trader that I'm tlaking to the owner about. We'll see what comes of it.

...I can't believe as a Tenn fan you did'nt jump all over that orange LS....

TN fan? Hardly! That God awful orange would be exactly why I stayed away from that orange LS.

Go Gators!!

jmvotto
03-25-2011, 02:14 PM
i assumed you checked the obvious onlyinboards.com lots of moombas and supras over there.

E4NASH
03-25-2011, 03:53 PM
i assumed you checked the obvious onlyinboards.com lots of moombas and supras over there.

Yeah I've checked those sites. When I searched for Moombas on ONLY it found only 7 near me. I hate that the max search you can do is 500 miles.

All of the ones in the range I am looking for are Direct Drives. I might consider an LS. And I found one that looks really good low hours. It's an '05 with tower racks, tower speakers, bimini, ballast and tandem trailer. The tower is powder coated black. It looks GREAT! I assume its the ballast is the one in the floor. Can you put a ballast in the rear under the seat like in the Outback DD?

jmvotto
03-25-2011, 04:28 PM
I believ you can , but an LS owner should reply about the ballast did you see the one in Florida i think it was an 04 or 05 lsv?

E4NASH
03-25-2011, 04:59 PM
I believ you can , but an LS owner should reply about the ballast did you see the one in Florida i think it was an 04 or 05 lsv?

Yeah....sold :(

FamilyMatters
03-26-2011, 12:25 AM
This looks like a great boat. It's at Atlanta Marine a Consignment Boat!

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/2284402901.html

bet you could get it for $27,000

jmvotto
03-26-2011, 07:29 AM
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-Moomba-LSV-98293740

How bout this 03 in sc?

E4NASH
03-26-2011, 08:26 PM
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-Moomba-LSV-98293740

How bout this 03 in sc?

Yeah, I was looking at that one. I spoke to the owner and he sent me some pictures. The stern has sum bad sun fading. But regardless he had someone coming down today to buy it.

BUT!! I left this morning for the 4 hour drive out to Hot Springs, AR. And put my deposit down on a '05 LS! I should be picking it up next Saturday! I'm SUPER STOKED!! Got a great deal and I think it will be great for my family and I...

http://www.diamondlakeswatersports.com/images/Used%20Boats/mobiusLS/side.jpg

FamilyMatters
03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow!! That is a Beautiful Boat! Congratulations!

2007 Outback V
03-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Gorgeous, love the black tower! Glad you found one.

E4NASH
03-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Wow!! That is a Beautiful Boat! Congratulations!

Gorgeous, love the black tower! Glad you found one.

Thanks guys! I'll post a new thread with pics next weekend when I actually get her home. This will probably be the LONGEST week of my life!

jmvotto
03-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Nice pickup, looks great. Welcome to the club.

kaneboats
03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
That's one good looking boat. Congrats!

viking
03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Love the colors. Welcome to the Roo Crew! I'm excited for u :)

KG's Supra24
03-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Whoa, hot springs!! Thats where I am. Looks like you are picking it up from Diamond Lake? Thats a good group of guys down there and they should take care of ya.

E4NASH
03-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Whoa, hot springs!! Thats where I am. Looks like you are picking it up from Diamond Lake? Thats a good group of guys down there and they should take care of ya.

Yeah, Jon and Justin are good guys. So far they are doing me right. We are going to take the boat out Saturday when I get there for a test run. Not exactly sure where they take it but I am looking forward to it! It's supposed to be really nice...I may launch it again once everything is complete and ride around for a little while.

The water is still a little too chill for me though....

KG's Supra24
03-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Man, if i didn't work Saturday morning I'd let you borrow a suit and board and give it a go.

They are within 5 minutes of a ramp on Lake Hamilton which will be fine this time of the year for a test drive and even some riding if you dare. If you want a lake without houses on it to check out, and just a pretty lake in general, take the 15 min drive to Ouachita for some for cruising. Or you can just stay on Hamilton, cruise the boat around, look at houses, and go get something to eat on the water.

Let me know if you need any recommendations. Great steak place on the water or even a couple pizza places.

wolfeman131
03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
great looking ride. congrats!

E4NASH
03-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Man, if i didn't work Saturday morning I'd let you borrow a suit and board and give it a go.

They are within 5 minutes of a ramp on Lake Hamilton which will be fine this time of the year for a test drive and even some riding if you dare. If you want a lake without houses on it to check out, and just a pretty lake in general, take the 15 min drive to Ouachita for some for cruising. Or you can just stay on Hamilton, cruise the boat around, look at houses, and go get something to eat on the water.

Let me know if you need any recommendations. Great steak place on the water or even a couple pizza places.

Thanks, I'm getting a board and bindings when I pick up the boat. But I don't know if I'll jump in the water yet. I hear a heater top keeps you pretty toasty but I dunno...maybe. I definitely want to make use of the day though so after everything is done we'll probably launch it at Hamilton and just cruise around for a while. Last week we drove 4 hours one way for about a 30 min to 1 hour visit at the shop. From what they tell me its going to take about 10 mins for the paperwork and an hour or so for the test ride.

You all have some nice country out that way though. Much better than what we have..pretty much all we have around us are cotton fields.

One of the many things that suck about living in Memphis is that there are no riding spots closer than 2 hours away....this I am comparing to when I lived in VA and Lake Anna was my back yard....ugh!