PDA

View Full Version : OT: Well this sucks....

WaterBullDawg1980
03-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Man......This is tough.

My dog Georgia or "G-Man" as my wife likes to call him is on his 13th year of life which is old for a german rottweiler. I got him as a pup right before I went to college and he has been a huge part of the family ever since. The absolute best dog a guy could have. Loved everybody, and until tonight nobody has ever even heard him growl except 1 time and that was when the lawn guy was yelling at my mother for getting fired. She was the only one home and he had to take care of her.

Well he has been sick for about 3 weeks. He had started really slowing down as he has always been super energetic. I mean 2 months ago he would do a lap around his dog house and then come to the gate when he saw me coming to his fence to get him. Well the vet thought it was constipation bc he howled when he went numero dos. So we were treating him for that until yesterday when we noticed he was walking very gingerly and it looked like his back legs were in pain. Well today I went out to feed him and say hello and saw the saddest sight I have ever seen. He was laying in this little trench he had dug a while back but couldn't move. I noticed he hadn't touched his food from the morning either. He sleeps in a dog house (literally a house with 2 rooms and shingles) so we didn't think anything of it when we didn't see him in the morning bc sometimes he takes his time waking up. I had to spoon feed him water bc he couldn't lift his head. It was horrific.

Ended up carrying him inside to sleep with his family. I am hoping for a miracle tomorrow at the vet, but who knows. Right now his breathing has slowed down dramatically and his eyes are closed. While I am no vet, I could almost see it in his eyes while I laid with him that he had given up. We have a boxer who we put on a runner sometimes during the day that is right next to Georgia's fenced in palace. And even Herschel who normally runs around trying to pester his old brother was obviously disturbed by the whole seen.

If the vet tells us some bad news tomorrow, we are going to be faced with a hard decision. At his age, I would hate to put him through anything more trauma. But how in the hell do you give someone a green light to euthanize your dog???

Hate sounding so morose but it's really how I feel right now. Hopefully I am not losing my man card, but damn this is tough.

Any of you fellas been through this?

TL7
03-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Yes. Been there less than 2 months ago with our 13 year old beagle, Buddy. There is absolutely not a single thing I can tell you that will ease the pain you feel now, and will feel if you have to make the decision. The only thing I can tell you that somewhat helped us, is since Buddy was around 10 we vowed to do the right thing for him, not us, when the time came. We didn't want to make a selfish decision to keep him around for our benefit. He was the greatest dog ever (aren't they all), and we could not allow him to have a poor quality of life just so we could have something to pet. I know that sounds harsh, but if you think about it you'll understand.

Hands down the hardest thing I've ever done or been through, and that includes losing my father 7 years ago. By no means did I not love my father because I did immensely and think about him every day, but he was not dependent on me, follow me everywhere, sleep in our bed, etc the way Buddy did. It's a different kind of love altogether.

The only words of advice I can give, is IF you have to make the decision, I would suggest going in with him and staying the entire time. We did, and it comforted us to know that he was not alone with strangers when he passed. Some friends of ours went through this a year before we did and elected not to witness it as it would be "too hard", and he's told me several times he regretted not being with his dog through it.

I know this isn't a feel good post, but honestly it's not a feel good situation. I can only tell you what we did and went through, and while we know 100% we made the right call (cancer of liver), we miss Buddy every day. Buster, his partner in crime for 10 years, has adjusted well to being the top dog. We've yet to add a new addition, but that time will come I'm sure. Just remember the good times, pour your affection into Herschel as he will be lost, and keep your chin up. There are tons of great things about owning a dog and I can never see us without one, but this is hands down the worst part of it. You and your family have my prayers bro.

zabooda
03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Our family went through it in 2008 with a champion Samoyed that was only five years old and came down with cancer. My daughter won the top National Junior in the Samoyed group and was in the top ten of all juniors in the country with this dog. At age 19 she thought that was the worst thing that could happen until her mom passed away four months later. I donated a table in the park with a bronze plaque that is in memory of my wife and our four legged friends. It is tough to lose someone you're close too.

Something to think about is how your other dog will deal with his missing buddy as they go through depression also. We got another dog so the other Samoyed would have a companion. I'm sorry for your family and perhaps it is something treatable.

moombadaze
03-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Boy I really wished you had put a warning not to read this while at work-I got tears rolling.

As was said, think about your dogs well being first and do whats right for him. Be with him when he finally does pass.

This is one of the worst things about being a pet owner.

Think my pup is telling me shes getting close too as she is about 14.

sandm
03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
not going to post up the whole story, but have been through this 2x in the last 7 years with 2 dogs, both over 12 years old.

I don't have kids, so they were family.

hardest thing I've ever had to do hands down..

but the years of quality life that they give you makes up for it 1000000%...

jmvotto
03-23-2011, 10:07 AM
WBD, sorry to hear about this but as members have stated its about the quality. Hardest thing i ever had to do 6 years ago was with my 10 yr chocalate lab Bo. he was starting to fail and one day he went out to the back yard and would not get up, he looked at me and knew it was his time. i am choked up now. and could barely speak when i got to the vet. I feel for you and the family. its never easy.

JesseC
03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Same story here....13 year old border collie female named Silly. She was the best dog, sweet when she needed to be and territorial when the moment called for it. My wife got her as a puppy and that dog never saw a sad day, never went to bed hungry or never spent a day scared and lost. She had the best life we could give her and she returned the love to us. The day we took her was the saddest day I have ever been through. We do not have kids either so our dogs are our children. We took her in in her favorite bed covered in her favorite blanket and stayed with her until the assistant said "She is gone". The day she left us, she was not scared and left extremely loved. To "force" her to continue living just so we could hang on to her would have not been fair to anyone. We loved her enough to let her go which is the hardest yet most loving decision you will make. When we left the vet she was peaceful in her bed with her favorite blanket covering her. My thoughts will be with you. Please be sure to post a favorite pic of G-man.

viking
03-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Had my 10year old Siberian Die in my lap while we drove her to the vet to put her down. She developed diabetes and went blind a little over a year before she passed. Had to give her insulin shots twice a day.

Imagine trying to test a dog's blood as it's not like pricking your finger every 1/2 hour. She got so used to it and would just sit there when we took the needle to her legs and tested blood sugar levels. Somehow I think she knew "daddy" was looking out for her.

I got her with my college graduation money and she was my companion for many years before I met my wife and unfortunately she passed before we had any kids. Her liver kidney's gave out after 12months of that and when I walked out one day I found her much like you did your pup. I grabbed held her as we tried to get to the vet to take her out of her misery by she was gone before we got there. Buried her myself out at my folks place.

That was 6 years ago but the memories feel like yesterday.

Hang in there and be there for him!

WaterBullDawg1980
03-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Wow...Thank you all for the kind words. Its very much appreciated.

Last night, I pretty much got zero sleep due to either worrying about him or hearing him wimper. So most of my time was spent downstairs laying next to the ole guy. When I was next to him, I could see that he was much calmer and happier. His breathing gets steady and his eyes close.

Well today we took him to the vet and they started running tests etc. We still do not know what is wrong. They ruled out hip displasia, but apparently it can be one of a hundred things. They did feel what they thought was a mass in his side, but for some reason put off this test until after I left due to an "equipment malfunction". But despite my problems with a few things, they did give him some medicine for pain that is letting him rest. I hate it though bc he is there overnight. He is NEVER away from home, but they said bc of all the tests and bc of how sick he is, they thought it was best to leave him there. I concurred. Getting him there was actually the worst. He howled when he was moved which broke my heart. But once we got him there, they were quick to take good care of his pain.

Tomorrow will be a long day of waiting for me and the rest of the gang.

I spoke to my wife, and if something horrible is found out, we are not going to subject him to any needless pain or a chance for a recurrence in the future. We both think it will be best to let the doctors send him to a better place. And we definitely both be there.

And for those who are wondering, my other dog (herschel) is doing ok today, but he definitely knows something is going on with his older brother. He kept wanting to go outside and even now is staring out the door. We took him out to where Georgia sleeps to show him he wasn't there, but he obviously didn't get it and whined when we took him back inside.

So, until tomorrow, Im going to do my best to take my mind off of this.....

Thanks again to all of you for the kind words. This whole thing kind of hit me harder than I ever thought it would. I had a dog growing up that died of old age, but it was different bc it wasn't really MY dog that I picked out. Sad, but nothing like this.

harmsway
03-23-2011, 10:18 PM
I've been through this several time in the past. Being there with your friend to the end is the only way to go in my opinion, but everyone handles it differently. The last Dalmatian I had to put down we told ourselves that there would be no more dogs. After a few months of mourning we ended up buying 2 more liver spotted Dalmatians one which is deaf but we new in advance. They can never take the place of past pets but it does help to get over the pain. Once your a dog owner you just can't live with out one.

rdlangston13
03-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Last Thursday while installing the new Exile system on my boat my step mother had let the dogs out to go pee in the front yard. Not a big deal, we always let them out in the front without leashes and we never have had any issues. Well I was under the storage compartment of the boat I heard my step mom screaming but because of her accent (Venezuelan) I could not make out what she was saying. It was when she ran by me yelling "Luna is dead!" and I say out chihuahuas legs dangling limp as she was being carried did I relalize what all the yelling was about. Luna never goes into the street so what prompted her to do so last week baffles the entre family. She was 3 years old and was the sweetest chihuahua you'd ever meed. Never seen my family cry so hard and I almost felt guilty for being the only one not crying. You will me missed Luna Tuna!

Two days later my dad came home with another black Chihuahua that looked almost identical to Luna...I think he is having a harder time with this than anyone.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=416&pictureid=3499