PDA

View Full Version : Major problem with local dealer (windshield)

Muzzy
03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Long story short (you may remember); Had my local dealer install new windshield on my 06 LS back in October, picked up my boat windshield looked used and in poor shape, dings and scratches all over, and very dirty. Talked to SC and the Dealer, both said take it back to the dealer and they'll touch it up.......Big mistake!!
Picked up my boat on Saturday, and this is what I got, not only was the touch up terrible, there is silver paint overspray all over my boat, the vinyl, the gelcoat, the dash, even a couple nice drops of paint on the passenger seat and drivers seat. I dont even know what to do now. The dealer has failed miserably 2 times now. Do I try to contact the dealer owner, or do I go directly to Skiers Choice and if SC who should I contact (I dealt with Reed originally)?
I do not trust this dealer to touch my boat again. Is this fixable without seriously harming the Gelcoat and Vinyl? I am at a total loss now and am sick to my stomach, any advise is greatly appreciated.

Pass Seat Drip
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win1.jpg

Overspray on Gelcoat Drivers side
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win2.jpg

Overspray on armrest
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win3.jpg

Overspray on switches
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win4.jpg

Muzzy
03-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Overspray on pass seat
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win5.jpg

Drip on drivers seat
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win6.jpg

Closeup of overspray on vinyl
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win7.jpg

Frame paint
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win11.jpg

brain_rinse
03-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Go directly to Skiers Choice. Never, ever return to that dealer. Ever. They had a chance to make it right and they made it much worse. Skiers Choice will take care of you.

Muzzy
03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
couple more pics, sorry just want to point out the severity of the issue.

Frame ding
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win8.jpg

Rough paint
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win10.jpg

Damaged Gelcoat from install
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win12.jpg

Walk through weather strip
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/boat%20windshield/win9.jpg

Muzzy
03-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Go directly to Skiers Choice. Never, ever return to that dealer. Ever. They had a chance to make it right and they made it much worse. Skiers Choice will take care of you.

Thanks for the fast reply, first thing tomorrow i'll get a hold of Skiers Choice, hopfully they'll have a better fix for me this time.

deafgoose
03-22-2011, 11:35 PM
OMG. That looks like a massive fail.

Keep us updated. I am really curious what SC will do for you.

zabooda
03-23-2011, 12:26 AM
There is no excuse for overspray just too lazy to throw a cover over the dash and seats.

moombahighrider
03-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Send those photos straight to sc. They can't ignore that nonsense. If they do, I want to know as I will go elsewhere with future business.

11 Outback V
03-23-2011, 04:47 AM
Call SC and ask for Rick Tinker. He is also on this board from time to time

moombadaze
03-23-2011, 07:48 AM
that is horrible and no excuse to get your pride and joy back looking like that. The pisspoor workmanship is one thing, but to mess the rest of the boat up is just wrong. Are you dealing with the dealer owner? if not you need to and then get ahold of SkiersChoise

KG's Supra24
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
That is terrible. I'm with everyone else. Contact Skiers Choice!!

Keep us updated.

dusty2221
03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
WOW!

Anxious to see the outcome of this...

viking
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
WTH? Obviously they don't care about you or the image of SC? No excuses for that in my book.

Good Luck!

Ian Brantford
03-23-2011, 08:43 PM
I am also closely watching this thread to see how SC responds. Please keep us updated.

jmvotto
03-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Unfreakin believable ..... Hope sc makes it right, but talk to the owner first and see if he is aware of his staffs poor workmanship and how he will make it right with the help of sc, no need to take that third strike.:confused:

harmsway
03-23-2011, 09:33 PM
That is unbelievable that some jack leg would screw up your boat like that. Total disrespect for taking pride in workman ship. I would be so PO'd I wouldn't be able to control myself. Did they attempt to spray your winshield frame themselves or did they sub the work out. Either way you need to contact the dealer that you took the boat to. But I would also contact SC to see what there response is.

lsvboombox
03-24-2011, 08:03 AM
yes please post outcome.. if SC doesnt correct the issue this will be the last moomba I own.... cant believe a business would ever hand over a boat looking like that....

ptcbtchr
03-24-2011, 08:03 AM
I have seen shoddy workmanship in my days, but WOW that mess is unbelievable. I would definitely speak with dealership owner but I would also forward this to skier's choice. I can't imagine that they would be happy having a dealer out there representing their company returning this to a customer as "finished" work. You also could consider contacting the better business bureau and filing a complaint with them as well. Given these difficult economic times it's hard for me to imagine any dealer returning a boat to you in such condition. Let us know how things turn out for you and I hope you get your boat properly repaired.

Mark
ps I would be very disappointed if skiers choice doesn't make this right for you.

rdlangston13
03-24-2011, 11:40 AM
that is just crazy! did the person who worked on this really just give it back hope you didn't notice?? i dont even know how you could correct all this without just replacing all the over sprayed items. unbelievable

Muzzy
03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
go to AWS - it's worth the extra effort/time

Kyle,
Trust me, once this fiasco is over, I'll be happy to drive the extra distance to AWS.

Not much of an update, but called and emailed SC yesterday, and called today, have yet to hear back. I did call the dealer owner and informed him of the situation. Emailed him pics, now waiting to hear back from him. He did seem concerned and not happy with his crew.

viking
03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
He did seem concerned and not happy with his crew.

He better be! He's gonna need to clean house and get some employees who actually care about the customer and do "quality" work or he's gonna have to shut the doors in a few years. Can't operate like that for very long before word gets out.

newty
03-28-2011, 12:13 PM
AWS is def worth the drive. I'd be HOT if that were my boat! Makes me sick looking at the photos. You can tell the frame is used and there were problems with before. Definately want to see the outcome from the dealer and SC. Good luck bro!

Muzzy
03-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Very frustrated right now. Called the dealers owner on Thursday, never heard back so I called on tuesday, he was on the other line:rolleyes: and would call me right back, he didnt. (avoiding me? I think so.) So I e-mailed the customer service manager at Skiers Choice, he e-mailed me back saying that he or the dealers owner would call me back by the end of the week. Got a call back today from...... the dealers service manager, really? So Skiers Choice passed it off to the Owner, & the owner passed it off to the service manager, so there was really no point in wasting time with SC or the Owner. Of course the service manager wants to make this right, appologized over and over again. Said they'd replace all the switches and guages if needed, offered my next service on the house. Blah blah blah
Really dont know what to do, I really dont want them to touch it again, but I am also having a hard time finding anyone who wants to work on it for me. Upholstry places just tell me what to use to clean it but dont want to touch it, dont even know who can repair the windshield Frame (body shop?).
Well, thats where I am at now. Not sure what I am going to do from this point forward. I am pretty upset with Skier's Choice and the owner of the dealer for just passing me off, but I guess that is why they have dealers and its why they have department managers.

ptcbtchr
03-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Muzzy,
I think if I were in your shoes, I would try to call and speak to an actual person at skiers choice. I am a big believer in going straight to the source. This terrible situation is absolutely ridiculous and I will say, if skier's choice doesn't go to bat for you, I for one will NEVER recommend their product to anyone!! Seriously, this isn't even a situation that should go beyond the first call. I am amazed that any dealer, or company for that matter wouldn't knock themselves out providing customer service in this economy, especially a business that sells luxury items that we don't need but do enjoy. I believe I would demand an alternate location to have my boat serviced (at the original dealer's expense) if there is one within a reasonable distance from you. I would be willing to drive a bit if I felt comfortable that I might get better results. Honestly I am shocked that you haven't had this made right by now. Shame on you skier's choice for passing the buck, a phone call would have gone a long way in showing your concern for the customer. I mean these boats aren't cheap, so do the right thing, advocate for this owner.

Keep us posted.

Mark

Muzzy
03-31-2011, 03:32 PM
GOOD NEWS!!!

Kyle,
Thanks for the motivation, after feeling defeated and about to just go back to this dealer and pray, I read your post and did what you said, came up with a plan, e-mailed Skier's Choice with it and see what would happen.
My plan: I want a new windshield, I want it sent to Active Water Sports, I want them to do the install and the cleaning and repairing of my boat, at SC and this other dealers expence.

Got a call back from SC Customer Service Manager, John, he totally heard me out, and understands where I am coming from. Said he needs my HIN to figure out which windshield I need, and he'll call AWS to set up an appointment, and he'll get me on the water.

So relieved right now, but you all better be right about AWS;). Actually talked to Brian in the Service department down there, he was super cool and said he'd take care of it if I can get it there, and that looks like its gonna happen.

Mark, looks like I took your advise before I even heard it, thanks though, makes me feel more comfortable since you'd do the same thing.

zabooda
03-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Excellent news Muzzy. I thought that would be the best resolution even if you had to do it on your own dime. I hear nothing but good news from AWS and I hear "nothing" about the other dealers in the northwest. If someone wants a Moomba here in eastern Washington, I would only recommend AWS. Good news travels fast but bad news does also and it means the difference between success or failure as a business.

newty
03-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Brian is an awesome guy! He'll take care of you for sure! He and the AWS will make sure your happy. Great group down there.

BensonWdby
03-31-2011, 06:32 PM
I guess for me the first question is how did you end up with a used windshield in the first place?

Suprahunter
03-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Its so good to see SC get involved and back their product. These kind of solutions go a long way with me at new boat time. A poor dealer can make a good boat bad.

zabooda
03-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Some of the questions I would ask would be whether the windshield was the correct replacement and if it was installed correctly.

wolfeman131
03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Muzzy, glad it all worked out and I too am glad SC helped make it right.

But, for all of those that demanded SC "get involved or I'm never buying another Moomba!" you need to understand that just isn't how business works. SC simply can't incur the cost of every blunder a dealer makes. Or, if we demand that they do, our boats will soon cost more than most of us can afford.

The dealer holds the responsibility and liability to make it right. SC can only do so much to ensure that their dealers perform every task at exceptional levels. Remember that each dealer is an independent entity. Some will be run great, some OK and some will stink. It's unfortunate, but you can't always avoid the ones that stink.

Hopefully, SC is going to invoice the orignial dealer for the parts and repair cost. What SC has done is way above and beyond and we should all recognize how fortunate we are that SC will go to these lengths to support their product.

KSmith
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
^^^^ Well said Drew

skiyaker
03-31-2011, 08:31 PM
wow that's incredible support by SC. I've been reading a little bit about the problems malibu has been having with the powder coat on some of their towers that are a 2-3 yrs old and their response is "tough it's a cosmetic problem" and that's for a tower that was original to the boat.

JesseC
03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
What SC has done is way above and beyond and we should all recognize how fortunate we are that SC will go to these lengths to support their product.

That is exactly why I plan on going with another SC product when I upgrade the LSV. Between the staff at SC and the staff at Indmar, you simply cannot go wrong.

Muzzy
04-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Taking the boat to AWS in the morning, it's going to be a long drive but at least my boat will be in good hands.

To the last few posts, SC did send a windshield that was in very poor (used) condition to begin with so they do have some responsibility here I would think. Unfortunately the dealer still installed it and the rest we know. But everything is being made right and I have no bad things to say about SC, the dealer on the other hand...

ptcbtchr
04-01-2011, 07:41 AM
Congrats to skiers choice for helping to make this right. I agree that the cost of this repair should come from original dealer who screwed this up, but still feel a company needs to stand behind their customers especially in this case, I mean this wasn't a small mistake!! It makes me feel like I made the right choice in buying my Moomba, and that they have a network of dealers who do things the right way. I agree with Kyle that the manufacturer can't afford to step in and fix every error a dealer makes, but this case was exceptional to the point that I felt SC had an obligation to step in make it right and that's exactly what they did!! Good for them and for us. Good luck taking your boat to AWS and post some pics when it's all done.

Mark