PDA

View Full Version : tube time

moombadaze
03-22-2011, 07:19 PM
look what the brown truck dropped off today.
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/moombadaze/CIMG0301.jpg

BensonWdby
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Now you're just trying to stir up trouble....

Have fun

skiyaker
03-22-2011, 08:32 PM
the number 1 thing I liked about boarding last weekend was that it was way too cold for the DANG TUBERS!!! lol ;)

brain_rinse
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Now you're just trying to stir up trouble....

Have fun

Nah. But if he posted this in the Wakeboarding forum... :)

Nice tube, Daze. Should be tons of fun.

zabooda
03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Which reminds me. Costco has one of those monster tubes in stock now and they sell out by late spring. Our camping buddies had one and the kids love it but other than the one week a year it would never be used. Nice thing about Costco is you can return anything besides electronics at anytime in the future if you don't like it. When the tube gets a hole or the end of the season, guess what, I no longer like it.

harmsway
03-22-2011, 09:34 PM
the number 1 thing I liked about boarding last weekend was that it was way too cold for the DANG TUBERS!!! lol ;)

I am with you "ski" the best thing about a tuber is when they leave our ski/wakeboard cove. There will be 5 or 6 of making runs all taking turns and then a couple tubers will show up and tear the hole cove up. But then again tubing can be fun, but some tubers have no consideration.

moombadaze
03-23-2011, 08:26 AM
[quote=harmsway;129769] the best thing about a tuber is when they leave our ski/wakeboard cove. quote]

And that is where we differ, We never go into a ski/wakeboard cove, we stay out in the middle where you would not slalom ski anyway-I remember what it was like.

Got kid-got tubes. I'll even buy tubes to do what ever it takes to keep my girl with me and out of trouble. Heck it really is a blast to double tube with her and I hope those memories last her life for her.

sandm
03-23-2011, 09:27 AM
we use ours every so often, more so where there are kids along. nice distraction and they deserve to have a good time too.

lots of inconsiderate tubers out there tho..

KG's Supra24
03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Tubes def have there place, outside of the coves, ha!

We pulls ours out for the kids, for the girls to lay out on, and have even used it to take some wakeboarding pics. Plus what couple guys can't resist a little tube war action.

Have fun!

skiyaker
03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
no worries- they do indeed have their place- matter o' fact I pulled a few tubers last year. Usually they left the water saying "that was terrifying"

funniest thing about last year you may recall is that our local lake had a rule for a while that you could pull a tuber but not a wakeboarder. So I bough a 4 person tube and quickly proved that rule was nonsense. Now you can wakeboard on the lake. So I guess I used tubing in order to benefit wakesports!

harmsway
03-23-2011, 09:45 AM
And that is where we differ, We never go into a ski/wakeboard cove, we stay out in the middle where you would not slalom ski anyway-I remember what it was like.

Got kid-got tubes. I'll even buy tubes to do what ever it takes to keep my girl with me and out of trouble. Heck it really is a blast to double tube with her and I hope those memories last her life for her.

We have done our fair share of tubing and I am not saying tubers don't have the right to use the lake, but alot of tubers have never been up on skis or a board and just don't respect a ski cove. The worst part our lake is 14 miles long and plenty of places to tube. But I am sure the fisherman hate us when we show up 6:00 am to catch the glass so I guess what comes around goes around. lol

trebor-75
03-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Personally, I think tubing is great for when the lake is too rough or busy for good boarding/skiing. We prefer the O'brien screamer flat tubes... when you do it right, theres definetly more skill involved than most people think. Especially when you get 3 or 4 going and the wars break out.

Oh, and if we do happen to tube while the lake is calm, I make darn sure to stear clear of boarders and skiiers. Gotta try and keep everyone happy!

lsvboombox
03-23-2011, 09:23 PM
nothing better than grabbing 2 single tubes and getting your buddies on them.... non stop enjoyment watching tandem tubes behind the boat....

rdlangston13
03-23-2011, 11:58 PM
so now that we are on the topic of tubing (an activity that i thoroughly enjoy), how many people pull tubes from the tower?

moombadaze
03-24-2011, 07:42 AM
how many people pull tubes from the tower?

Personally--never with my boat!

Seen some do it and must say it really helps on the wip as it helps get air under the tube and those tubes are screaming across the water.

KG's Supra24
03-24-2011, 09:27 AM
so now that we are on the topic of tubing (an activity that i thoroughly enjoy), how many people pull tubes from the tower?

Good question. I was always told NEVER do it, too much drag. However i've seen countless people doing it on our lake.

harmsway
03-24-2011, 09:36 AM

I have skied off of the tower, but personally would not tube off of the tower. Many people have and never had an issue.

Ian Brantford
03-24-2011, 09:54 AM

It voids your warranty for good reason. If the tube gets caught behind a wave (which is routine as many drivers intentionally take their tube riders over waves), the amount of force that will briefly be exerted is enormous. Think in the range of many hundreds or even 1000+ lbs. It's enough to occasionally break a lesser rope. This force cannot be matched by a wakeboard rider or skier because the rider's grip is the weak point. If the tube isn't straight behind the boat at the time, that's also a significant sideway shearing force on the tower.

So, to answer your "how many" question, it's probably about the same number of people who wonder how they got those cracks around the tower supports.

If you are giving a tame tow to kids on flat water, you are probably safe. Otherwise, it's your pocketbook. :-)

rdlangston13
03-24-2011, 11:18 AM
ok, well ive done it once with my little sister and her friends. but the heaviest one of them weighs like 100 lbs. I probably wont do it again after reading yalls post but its just cool when the tube gets all that air! so do yall pull from the ski pylon or the hook up on the very back?

moombadaze
03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
so do yall pull from the ski pylon or the hook up on the very back?

ski pylon.

viking
03-24-2011, 06:53 PM
^^ ya, what he said ^^

bergermaister
03-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Pulled on the tower once. Easy to whip em at lower speeds and gentler turns for sure as you are getting a lot more air under the tube and they start to lift off. Did this with a buddy - would never let my kiddos.

We pull out the tube almost every trip. Good for the kids to play on at the beach while we're boarding/surfing. Also gives those who are not very athetically inclined a chance to get on the water and that's what its all about. Usually destroy on average a tube per year when things start to get rowdy and the smack talk begins.

Last summer I got some great video and pics of my 70yr old parents out on the 3 person tube taking turns with all their grandkids. Now that is priceless....

BensonWdby
03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=harmsway; But I am sure the fisherman hate us when we show up 6:00 am to catch the glass so I guess what comes around goes around. lol[/QUOTE]

We have a lake place and get to listen to the 250 HP bassboats come down the lake at wot at 5AM every Saturday morning... And then people complain about ski boats being loud.

BensonWdby
03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
We have a tube. Does not get much use, but may in a few years when the new grand child is old enough.

Never pull from the tower - too big of a lever arm.

About the only time we use the tube is during the afternoon when all the other tubers are out and the water is ruined anyhow. Our lake has no coves. When a tuber starts doing figure 8s or circles or zig-zag they throw wakes that do not end until they hit the shore they are heading for.

The problem with tubes is not the tuber, nor even the fact that what makes them fun - big wakes and tight turns - is exactly what ruins the water.

The problem is that they never get tired. We have had tube boats go for 4-6 hours non-stop. They maybe stop once for gas. All I need is about 10-15 minutes on the slalom and I am shot. But trying to get a window amidst their fun is not always easy.

sandm
03-24-2011, 07:29 PM
never from the tower, always from the pylon. learned that on here years ago...

I hear ya benson on the tubers never getting tired. most of the time, I have to stop the boat and tell them it's time for someone else.. try to limit the tube to an hour or so, as it's a gas hog :(

rdlangston13
03-25-2011, 12:16 PM
if the tubers at your lake are not getting tired then who ever is driving the boat does not know what they are doing. i have come off tubes completely exhausted before.

zabooda
03-25-2011, 05:42 PM
We tube from the tower as it keeps the ropes out of the water. If it were a large tube, I don't think I would use the tower. It does make a nice storage pod when skiing or wake boarding.