PDA

View Full Version : Need to wax my boat

sgeare
03-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Last time I had the boat on the water I got a white swathe across the sides of the hull from the water when we were running at speed. The boat is black so this stands out like a sore thumb. What is the best way to get rid of this and prevent it? I am going to wax it before this season but don't know what I need to do first to remove this eyesore. Also, what wax are you guys using?
The boat is a 98 Outback DD just for reference.

Thanks

JesseC
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Before I wax the boat, I mix a 60/40 solution of water to vinager in a bucket. Dip your towel in the bucket and ring it out the best you can. When you wipe down the boat the vinager will neutralize the acid in the water and the spots/lines should wipe away. Be sure and use a 100% cotten towel. When I am done with the entire boat there are no waterspots anywhere. I follow this up with a wipe down of the above procedures minus the vinager with a new towel and clean bucket full of water. The next day I put on a coat of Meguiars Boat/RV Pure Wax. I wax the entire boat from top to bottom. You are going to get a lot of suggestions on waxes, this is just one I have always used and it has worked well.

sgeare
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
great info! Thank you very much. I will give that a shot.

brain_rinse
03-22-2011, 02:07 PM
If you really want to get crazy with shining up the black, look into a 3 step process: cleaner, polish, and wax. Meguiars has a nice product line up and that's what I use. They even sell 3 products together as a kit: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+M4965

sgeare
03-23-2011, 01:33 AM
I went and looked at the boat today. Its strange, the white down the sides isn't waterspots. The white runs down the entire side and looks milky. The water vinager didnt touch it, and neither did rubbing compound or wax cleaner. I dont know how to get rid of it and bring the black back to the surface. Any other ideas?

moombadaze
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Photos help, if you can post one up

sgeare
04-15-2011, 12:40 AM
So I finally got over to the boat and snapped a picture. The circle was rubbing compound that helped a little but in reality did nothing. The dullness is not water spots and fels smooth on the side of the boat, not like water spots. Any help is appreciated.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab178/sg4runner/moombawax.jpg

deafgoose
04-15-2011, 12:52 AM
How aggressive was the rubbing compound that you used?

I would try some 3m marine super duty rubbing compound with a yellow pad on an orbital polisher.

zabooda
04-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Looks like oxidization. I had that on another boat and used rubbing compound but it would come back later in the summer.

deafgoose
04-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Looks like oxidization. I had that on another boat and used rubbing compound but it would come back later in the summer.

Rubbing compound alone will not bring back the shine. I will be pretty dull so that is when you use a polish to bring back the shine. After you polish it needs to be sealed with wax. Use a sealant instead of wax if you want it to last a long time.