PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood Head Unit Replacement

jokid
03-21-2011, 05:49 PM
I need to replace my Kenwood Headunit on my 2006 XLV GG. I would like to replace the headunit and still have the factory remotes at the driver side and transom still work. My current headunit has the seperate wire for the remotes. Anyone know which headunit I could buy that would work with my factory setup? Or would it be better to replace the headunit and remotes with something better?

Thanks

harmsway
03-21-2011, 07:39 PM
I recently replaced my kenwood HU with the KMR440U it has a USB port so you can use a thumb drive. It will also work with the factory remotes by connecting it to the steering wheel remote wire. But the good thing about it you can purchase the Kenwood KCA-RC107MR digital remote and control every aspect of the stereo from the drivers seat. You can also check out some pics of my install in my album.

I know alot of boaters use the automotive Kenwood stereo's because of the output line voltage and you can still us the factory remote thru the same steering wheel remote wire. But if you ever want to upgrade the driver side remote to a digital remote you will have to stick with a marine kenwwod like KMR440U.

casmith71
03-21-2011, 08:21 PM
is the steering wheel remote wire the blue and white wire. i tried replacing my HU with the kenwood 248U and the remote didn't work. i took it out and returned to best buy. i still need a head unit and have been looking at the 440U. is the wire labled something? my dealer told me any HU w/the blue and whit wire would work, but that one did not.

jokid
03-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info. Will I have to replace the wiring harness in my boat to accomodate the 440U or will I be able to unplug my current wiring harness, remote wire, and radio wire from my current head unit and just plug in the 440U and have it work like normal? Wasnt sure if it had a seperate remote wire or if it was built into the wiring harness.

Thanks for the help

harmsway
03-21-2011, 09:54 PM
is the steering wheel remote wire the blue and white wire. i tried replacing my HU with the kenwood 248U and the remote didn't work. i took it out and returned to best buy. i still need a head unit and have been looking at the 440U. is the wire labled something? my dealer told me any HU w/the blue and whit wire would work, but that one did not.

The blue & white wire is for a steering wheel remote which should work with the driver remote. I installed the digital remote KCA-RC107MR with my system and it is plug and play. But I did use the blue and white wire for my Boost Box volume control and it works great.

harmsway
03-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the info. Will I have to replace the wiring harness in my boat to accomodate the 440U or will I be able to unplug my current wiring harness, remote wire, and radio wire from my current head unit and just plug in the 440U and have it work like normal? Wasnt sure if it had a seperate remote wire or if it was built into the wiring harness.

Thanks for the help

You will have to replace the existing radio pigtail with the one that comes with the KMR440U. It has a couple additional wires that the factory Kenwood does not have. One of them is the blue and white steering wheel volume control wire which would be wired to the existing factory remote wire. The new pigtail is very simple to do all of the wires are the same color from the old one to the new one, just has a couple additional wires which you will not use accept the blue and white wire. It does have a seperate plug in (multipin connector) for the digital KCA-RC107MR driver side remote if you decide to go that route. Highly recommend it controls the complete stereo form the driver seat. The cage will also have to be replaced that the stereo sits in the dash. The 440U is slightly longer and the trim plate will not snap in place if you don't replace the cage. There is some tips in my album for doing this. I picked my new 440U up for $145.00 off of ebay. Let me know if you decide to go with it and need any help.

casmith71
03-21-2011, 11:11 PM
ok i did a little bit of research and i think the steering wheel control wire is blue and yellow. the blue and white wire is an antenna wire for cars with a motorized antenna. the 248u didn't have this but the 440u does. thanks for the advice.

harmsway
03-22-2011, 07:55 AM
ok i did a little bit of research and i think the steering wheel control wire is blue and yellow. the blue and white wire is an antenna wire for cars with a motorized antenna. the 248u didn't have this but the 440u does. thanks for the advice.

I think you are correct. I tried to find my manual last night but I believe I just remembered were it is. In the glove box of the boat. I will double check tonight just to make sure.

lewisb13
03-22-2011, 08:31 AM
I just ordered this one.....

http://www.lafayetteradio.com/html/details.asp?search=1873

Same price as 440U except it ALSO has a wireless remote AND 4.0V preouts.

harmsway
03-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I just ordered this one.....

http://www.lafayetteradio.com/html/details.asp?search=1873

Same price as 440U except it ALSO has a wireless remote AND 4.0V preouts.

I could be wrong, but I believe the specs they give on that site is incorrect. The out put is only 2.5v. check the kenwood site. There is also no way to hook up a digital driver side remote, just the factory style remote thru the steering wheel wire. Also the only place you can buy that HU if from 2 place on the web and if you look closely they are the same dealer. So I don't know if they have that built for them or what. This has actually came up on some other threads in this forum.

EarmarkMarine
03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Just a sidenote. Unlike a radio frequency remote, an infrared wireless remote is of little use in daylight on an open towboat.

David
Earmark Marine

viking
03-22-2011, 07:04 PM
this site has alot of the technicals on the different HU's as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewcat.php?manufacturer_id=22&category_id=10&f_16=103&f_20_295=1&f_131=423

Most of the EXcelon units have the 4V pre-outs

Canuckle Head
03-22-2011, 07:14 PM
I just bought the Alpine CDA-118M and the 500MC20 remote. This is to go along with the new Exile Amps, Sub and Tower Speakers which I'll be picking up this weekend in Portland.

STOKED!

harmsway
03-22-2011, 09:20 PM

Casmith71, You are correct about the blue and yellow wire it is the steering wheel remote control wire (labeled {REMOTE CONT}). This is the wire you connect the driver side remote to. The blue and white wire is for the amplifier turn on. The solid blue wire is the electric antenna wire.

casmith71
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Harmsway, thanks for confirming that for me. now i know for sure what to look for in a new head unit.