PDA

View Full Version : Mobius LSV Buying Help

bhowell
03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi guys, I'm Brett. I have read alot of posts on the forum since I started looking for a boat and have just joined.

I have been going to the lake / wakeboarding for a few years but without the frequency I want due to reliance on others and their boats. I have decided that it's time for me to buy a boat. Based on a combination of price, performance, and experiences with, I have narrowed my focus to a 2007-2010 Mobius LSV with less than 200 hours. I plan to use the boat for wakeboarding until we are exhausted then docking up for some partying.

What do you guys feel are reasonable final prices for these boats?
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-MOOMBA-MOBIUS-LSV-97693094
http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Moomba-Lsv/118683231

Also here is my anticipation of monthly cost before gas:
Boat Payment - $325-$375 - 6% for 7 Years with $10k Down
Storage - $125
Insurance - $75
Total - $525-$575

Anything I'm missing?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

wolfeman131
03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
you need to budget beer $

wolfeman131
03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
if you're of the required, legal drinking age of course . . .

moombadaze
03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
^^^^true words

both boats look nice-not sure what the orange one has for extra's

snyderaaron
03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
I would think you would be able to get them cheaper than what they have listed. Check a bunch of websites and feel the seller out a little bit. I know where you are, I just bought mine this year. Lots of things to consider. What options are you looking for with the boat?

bhowell
03-21-2011, 05:39 PM
What options are you looking for with the boat?

1. Gravity Ballast III
2. Tower Speakers
3. Perfect Pass

The Gravity Ballast III is required and while the others have value they aren't immediately required.

I really like the black one but wanted to stay in the low to mid $30k range with a couple thousands left for other upgrades and items. I need a rope, handle, and more life jackets. The rest would go to PP or Stereo.

sandm
03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I'd take the orange one, but I'm kind of partial to that color as it's almost a match to mine :)

my .02 on black-
-hotter than hades once the sun has been beating on it for a while in the summer
-harder than heck to keep looking clean, just like a black car
-shows any rub marks/scratches easier
-if the interior matches, black vinyl is murder on legs and your back in the sun

Razzman
03-21-2011, 06:43 PM
If you can get the price down the black one it is actually a better deal, it's fairly loaded, good stereo base and already has PP. It's also identical to mine, all black hull and white deck :p Yeah the black interior can get hot, we just keep towels on the seats when the temps are up. Black really isn't hard to maintain, just gotta keep it clean and use Boat Brite or similar to minimize water spots. Eventually any color will show them if you don't take care of it. Out of my five boating friends with boats, mine has the least amount of scratches and such. All the others are red or white.

Ours, the day we bought it. Man that feels like so long ago :(

brain_rinse
03-21-2011, 07:20 PM
If you REALLY want to get honest with your budget then you should include a bunch of money for the upgrades that you will undoubtedly do once you get that boat in your garage. The fact that you've already posted in this forum without even owning the boat yet tells me you will be unable to resist the peer pressure of ballast upgrades, stereo upgrades, appearance upgrades, wakeboard and surfboard upgrades, etc that "everyone else" is doing. :)

Both boats look great! I'd take either of em.

moombadaze
03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
^^^wise words-I'm a victim myself.

bhowell
03-23-2011, 11:04 AM
I am trying to move on the Black one. Here are the list of questions I prepared for the Seller (private party). Anything else I should ask?

1. What did you primarily use the boat for?
2. Why are you selling the boat?
3. Are you the original owner?
4. What dealership did you buy it from?
5. Do you have your service records?
6. How was the boat stored?
7. Does the boat still have 150 hours on it?
8. Has it been taken out this spring?
9. Has the boat ever been in salt / brackish water?
10. Has the boat had any problems such as equipment failures damage?
a. Motor Issues
b. Propeller
c. Ballast Pumps
11. Can you provide more details on the Warranty?
12. Are there any rips/tears in the vinyl or other interior blemishes?
13. Does the stereo routinely blow fuses or have the amp overheat?
14. How many gallons / hour of fuel were you consuming?

skiyaker
03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
make sure he'll let you take it for a ride before you buy it. When I was looking for a boat I was shocked how many people wouldn't let me try the boat out first. course some of them are probably still trying to sell their boats!

Razzman
03-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I am trying to move on the Black one. Here are the list of questions I prepared for the Seller (private party). Anything else I should ask?

1. What did you primarily use the boat for?
2. Why are you selling the boat?
3. Are you the original owner?
4. What dealership did you buy it from?
5. Do you have your service records?
6. How was the boat stored?
7. Does the boat still have 150 hours on it?
8. Has it been taken out this spring?
9. Has the boat ever been in salt / brackish water?
10. Has the boat had any problems such as equipment failures damage?
a. Motor Issues
b. Propeller
c. Ballast Pumps
11. Can you provide more details on the Warranty?
12. Are there any rips/tears in the vinyl or other interior blemishes?
13. Does the stereo routinely blow fuses or have the amp overheat?
14. How many gallons / hour of fuel were you consuming?

Well personally i don't think #'s 1,2,4,6,14 matter, especially if it's in good condition. #3 only really matters from a transferable warrenty standpoint or maybe some insight. I would pare 10 down to just "any problems". #11 only counts if there is a transferable warrenty. #14 is a moot point, it's a boat and none get great gph and everyone s will be different even on the same boat.

Ask him the important questions and if you like what you hear have it checked out at a dealership, doesn't have to be a Moomba dealer either.

bhowell
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
I have reached a deal with a guy in San Antonio to buy his boat for $30k contingent on inspection / test drive next weekend.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/boa/2282091564.html

I attached some pictures.

Now, I need to figure out Perfect Pass and Rear Ballast.

kaneboats
03-28-2011, 05:31 PM
If it's more than a couple years old you better budget for some new trailer tires and a spare if it doesn't have one. Keep in mind that boating isn't an exact science. There will be unforseen expenses but the answer to that one is: "Oh well, it's for the boat!"

bhowell
03-29-2011, 10:27 AM
If it's more than a couple years old you better budget for some new trailer tires and a spare if it doesn't have one. Keep in mind that boating isn't an exact science. There will be unforseen expenses but the answer to that one is: "Oh well, it's for the boat!"

Seller claims the trailer tires are new but even if they aren't wouldn't a couple of these tires one be around $150 including mounting and balancing and disposal?

kaneboats
03-29-2011, 10:45 AM
If you have to tow a long way buy 2 spares. Trailer tires often blow in pairs because of heat. They age long before they wear down. If you make it home without needing them you can return one of them. That's way easier than being stuck with 2 blown tires and only one spare on Fri. afternoon at 5:30 pm on a holiday weekend -- can you tell I've been there?