PDA

View Full Version : 5 Pole adapter

snyderaaron
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Getting ready to pick up my new moomba sometime and just trying to get prepared. Right now I have a 4 pole for my trailer lights and the Moomba trailer has a 5 pole. Is there any adapter that I can just plug in and remove when I want to. I'm just thinking if my buddy pulls my boat he'll need the adapter too.

snyderaaron
03-20-2011, 04:03 PM
does this have an adapter to plug into my 4 pole and allow me to plug in the lights and breaks for the 5 pole

ian ashton
03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
The 4 pole on the vehicle will plug into the 5 pole trailer, I've done it several times with several vehicles. Flipping it and turning the headlights on also works like a charm for reverse!

harmsway
03-20-2011, 04:49 PM
The 5th pole is for the back up lights on the trailer and it also activates the back up surge solenoids which allows you to back up. If this is not activated you will not be able to back the trailer. They make a 7 to 5 adapter but not a for 4 to 5 adapter. The 4 pole does not have back up lights in the circuit. So you will either have to wire a 5 or 7 pole for the vehicle or do as ED or Ian suggested. Or just don't back up.

Ian Brantford
03-20-2011, 05:22 PM
The 5th pole is for the back up lights on the trailer and it also activates the back up surge solenoids which allows you to back up. If this is not activated you will not be able to back the trailer.

The trailer should come with a small mechanical lockout device to enable backing up without the electrical connection. The OP should find that and put a big tag on it, because it's easy to lose! My marina operator just zip-tied it to the trailer tongue because it kept falling out immediately upon stopping.

Hoopskier
03-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Getting ready to pick up my new moomba sometime and just trying to get prepared. Right now I have a 4 pole for my trailer lights and the Moomba trailer has a 5 pole. Is there any adapter that I can just plug in and remove when I want to. I'm just thinking if my buddy pulls my boat he'll need the adapter too.

I had the same thing with my explorer. Here is what I used. http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/47515.html Cheap, and simple. I picked mine up locally.

You wont be able to get around an additional wire wire on the tow vehicle if you want 100% function. Without the 5th pin, you just wont be able to back up the trailer, unless you use one of the previously mention tricks.

snyderaaron
03-20-2011, 10:54 PM
i saw that and thought it might be useful. What is the blue wire used for? Sorry I am not a very mechanical person.

Hoopskier
03-20-2011, 11:12 PM
i saw that and thought it might be useful. What is the blue wire used for? Sorry I am not a very mechanical person.

The blue wire is for reverse. You need reverse to back up the trailer (into garage or landing). The trailer is equiped with brakes that use he forward momentum pressure of the boat/trailer pushing on the ball to activate, such as when the tow vehicle is braking. This same pressure is there when you reverse, or backing up the trailer. The trailer is equiped with a solenoid to prevent the brakes from activating, when backing the trailer. The solenoid needs a 12volt signal when the tow vehicle is in reverse (the back up lights). This is what the blue wire taps into, the reverse lights, thus allow you to back up the trailer w/o activating the brakes.

If you don't have the blue wire, or anything else, you wont be able to back up the trailer due to the pressue of the trailer brakes. I know my tow vehicle wont.

Hopefully that helps you out.

DOCDRS
03-21-2011, 12:31 AM
The 4 pole on the vehicle will plug into the 5 pole trailer, I've done it several times with several vehicles. Flipping it and turning the headlights on also works like a charm for reverse!

This totally works and every owner should know this. They should have it in the owners manual in case of emergency.