PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Wake

Dixielegger
01-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Can anyone give me some feedback on the slalom wake behind an Outback? I've never skied behind one and I wondered how the wake compares to a '94 Nautique. Recently sold my CC and I am in limbo over whether to by a used CC, MC, Malibu; or to buy a new Outback. In the past, I was a little turned off by the plain fiberglass doghouse on the Outback, but I learned this past weekend at the Atlanta boat show, that the LS motorbox (clamshell) is now an option on the Outback. This has me interested, but I'm a little nervous about spending big bucks (to me anyhow) for a boat that I've never skied behind. Everyone I've asked so far, has been someone who really has no serious slalom experience. Your replys are welcomed.

Dixielegger
Boatless (currently)

noneya
01-31-2005, 05:41 PM
I dont slalom much but the Outback wake seems to be about the same as the CC's I've ridden behind.

Go for a test ride before you buy, thats the only real way to tell.

Where are you located , you might find someone on here to take you for a pull

carsondoc
01-31-2005, 09:57 PM
I ski behind an Outback regularly. I also ski behind a 2003 Malibu response Lxi fairly regularly and skied behind a 2004 CC 196 twice last season. I have a wake plate on the outback and consider it a must for serious skiers.

I would say that the CC 196 is very slightly better as far as flatness and softness than either the Outback or the Response Lxi. However, I think the Outback and the Response Lxi are about identical. There is a small bump at 22 off on both the Outback and the Lxi but neither has any spray and produce great ski wakes. All 3 of the people I ski with say that they can't tell any difference. The Outback with the wake plate has a terrific ski wake. As Waterski Mag has said several times, you just cannot beat the wake you get for the price. They're right. Hope this helps.

clark
02-01-2005, 07:15 AM
Dixielegger,

I to am from the Atlanta area. I do not know who you spoke with at the show, but you need to go by and visit or at least talk with Kurt, the owner. He and his wife Lisa are great to work with. I ordered a Mobius LSV at the show. Even the LSV's v-drive has a good wake with the wake plate down and at approx 32 mph.

Good luck. I know it is a very hard decision.

Clark

watermania
02-27-2005, 08:02 PM
In Waterski Magazine they listed the 11 boats that are authorized to pull in ASWA sanctioned tournaments, and the Outback was one of them. This is what gave me the confidence to order one for myself. I also did a test drive and ski. At the time of the test the ski course was flooded, so we free skied at 32 off. I noted that there would be no spray from the boat no matter how short I may ever want to ski. I did not check out the 22 off bump.