PDA

View Full Version : cleaning/waxing

Shooter
03-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Just purchased my first boat, an 07 mobius lsv. Haven't been around the maintenance and care part of a boat since I was a teen. What should I get to clean and wax this thing? Anything I should avoid?

bzubke1
03-15-2011, 02:00 PM
I used a mixture of 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water in a spray bottle for wipe downs after each outing. It does an excellent job taking care of water spots and its cheap. Water spots were my enemy last summer. I went about a month not worrying about them and it was such a pain to get them off. My arm was ready to fall off by the time i finally got rid of all of them. For wax I use meguires flagship marine wax.

brain_rinse
03-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I use Babes Boat Bright for wipe downs. It's a very light cleaner wax that removes water spots and leaves a nice shine. For tougher water spots I use Ducky or vinegar/water but that removes wax as well.

For polishing and waxing I use mostly Meguiar's marine products.

Babes has good vinyl products, and 303 is good too. Malco plastic and leather cleaner is great for deep cleaning.

mmandley
03-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Just wanted to toss this out there.

If you store your boat and get spiders or you tend to see mildew, spray the inside of the boat such as carpets, and up under the gunwales and any place you can think of with distilled white vinegar and water. 50/50

I did this over the winter because last year i was always finding a spider or two in the boat < creepy > and also over the winter because i didnt want mildew. It helps cure both problems. the spiders were my goal and the mildew was a nice side effect.

Our Terminex guy turned me on to the vinegar/water mix for spiders as he said spray the whole garage down, under sinks cabinets all the dark places. It smells bad for a hour or so but the spiders will leave and never return with regular treatments of the spray.

NCSUmoomba
03-16-2011, 01:11 PM
I use Meguiars products exclusively for my truck and my boat.

squeeg333
03-16-2011, 02:47 PM
I second what NCSU said. Meg's makes great products, and I used exclusively on both my vehicles and boat. Babes for the vinyl, and for a quick boat spray down to remove light dirt/water spots.

skiyaker
03-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I use trewax marine a few times a year and lucas oil slick mist for wipe downs. I use formula 303 for the vinyl- I've been told to avoid armor all.

squeeg333
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
From what I've heard, stay away from anything pertroleum based for cleaning/protecting the vinyl. It'll degrde the stuff. Personally, I don't use anything like that for any of my leather or vinyl cleaning or care. 303 protectant is really good stuff, as mentioned Malco is superb for deep cleans (follow that with a damp rag, or some Babe's or something to neutralize the cleaner)

Really any good Marine wax will do for the exterior, but I've had great success with Megs Flagship Marine Wax. Easy on, easy off, and makes colors pop.

Shooter
03-20-2011, 10:46 PM
thanks for all the suggestions. I started on a good cleaning this weekend, but the phone rang, a friend itching to make the first lake trip of the year. Needless to say she got a quick wipe down and we headed for the water.