PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Moomba Boomerang Carb trouble.. new holley carb?

BoiseMoomba
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Well last year I was out on the water and my 92 boomerang with a ford 302 died on me.. I check the fuel lines and found a clog in the filter right before the carb. Well this was after I messed with the carb. Now the boat wont run without priming the carb alot or using carb cleaner. and when it runs it just idles.. Any ideas? I was thinking the carb is older and could use a rebuild or replacement.
Questions
Any idea what a new carb costs or a rebuild?
OR any other things i should try before...

its a holley 4 barrel i think

mmandley
03-15-2011, 03:22 PM
New carb i don't think is worth it. Its also harder and harder to find a person who rebuilds. Normally the local auto parts places can sell you a rebuild with a core like your carb.

I was looking at the parts store and its 250 to 450 ranges your going to have to just take the carb number in and look around.

I do have some experience working with Carbs from my 70s Trans AM i use to restore all the time.

IF its not idling then you need to richen the idle by turning the idle screws in or out these should be on the front of the carb or near the bottom.

Here is a site i found and looks like yours is the 450 CFM

http://www.holley.com/types/Marine%204%20Bbl%20Performance.asp

Think of what all you messed with tell me what you can maybe we can reverse some of the damage lol.

I'm thinking you fix the idle and it will fix a lot of the other problems but i need to know more about what you messed with maybe even some pictures of things you adjusted.

BoiseMoomba
03-15-2011, 03:42 PM
The boat died on me on the lake. I checked the fuel system and it was clear up to the carb where the first filter on the outside of the carb was packed with rust and crap... I cleaned it out and opened up the carb to clean the rest of it out because the carb had tons of rust and other crap in it.. But since I put it back on, it wont idle and the only way i can keep it running is if i use alot of carb cleaner and hold the flap shut alittle because the automatic idle opens the air intake flap way too early right now. yes that is the right carb the 4160 450cfm marine.. 4 barrel...PART #: 0-80364

any ideals? I have taken the carb apart twice since then

BoiseMoomba
03-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Also can i just use a old street carb and replace the tubes so they are the J ones? Or would this not work? Im only going to be using this boat for the next 2 years as a cabin boat so Im trying to think of simple cheaper fixes.

sandm
03-15-2011, 06:25 PM
any relation to this one??

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/2267045830.html

BoiseMoomba
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
same one, i just ordered a rebuild kit from holley. Carb shoudl be done by this time next week and hopefully that was all the issue. Any other suggestions?

james yarosz
03-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Find a local "Hot Rod" shop.Holley carbs are really quite simple to rebuild. Most of the time it's dirt causing the problem. Maybe a blown power valve.Most guys that are good won't even buy a rebuild kit.They replace the power valve and the float bowl gaskets and CLEAN everything.

sandm
03-15-2011, 09:38 PM
same one

I'm confused.. your posts list you are going to use it at a cabin, but you have it listed on craigslist for sale?

there's a ton of help on here, but tell us the straight up story :)
I'm selling the boat and need help getting it going for the next owner to enjoy years of trouble-free service :)

that being said, check out idaho watersports and check with justin or herb. either one know those engines inside and out.. justin is the supra/moomba guy and herb came from gilbert lake, working on tige's for years..

BoiseMoomba
03-16-2011, 12:22 AM
If I end up dumping hundreds of dollars into the boat like a new carb im going to keep it. But if someone wants to give me 5k for it and rebuild the carb on their own time and sell it for 6k im not going to complain. If i sell the boat im going to buy one in the 15k range but if i dont then im going to keep waiting for a hell of a deal. IWS does good work but last time I went in there the quotes were way overpriced compared to acouple shops in fruitland/ontario. Im pretty sure a rebuild will do the trick I pulled off the carb today and the filter and bowls already had alittle setiment.

mmandley
03-16-2011, 09:04 AM
You can also look at it this way, you dump 500 in the boat for carc, charge that all on the price and its advertised as a new carb rebuild because the next guy might be just as scared of a carb and this will settle him in the nerves. I think for your boat 5k is more then fair and 5500 with a new or rebuilt carb would be worth it to me.

sandm
03-16-2011, 09:06 AM
good luck. I think 5 is probably the right price for that boat even running. my buddy bought his '94 boomerang 2 years ago for 5, and had several in that pricerange similar. tryon's autobody has a sanger he has been trying to sell for almost a year, similar boat/condition and was down to $3500.
getting air/fuel adjusted right was always a challenge.
might check boise muffler(only on fairview) if you are needing help. rod there is an old gto guy and has a keen understanding of carbs/multiple setups.

BoiseMoomba
03-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I agree but the rebuild kit is only 38 buck... But anyways I rebuilt the carb and still im not having any luck. The boat runs for seconds with a bit of carb cleaner in the intake but then dies. When i prime it acoupel times it sounds like it might start but that ends after about 2-3 rotations of the engine. I can keep it running if i keep putting carb cleaner in it, but when i hit the throttle it will rev up and run for about 3 or 4 seconds then usually backfire or just die... I havent adjusted the idle screw or air/fule mixture woudl that keep it from running at all?

lewisb13
03-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a bad pilot jet to me. What does the boat do if you put it in neutral and give it half throttle? Will it run?

BoiseMoomba
03-25-2011, 04:17 PM
i cant get it to run at all without some carb cleaner, but when i get it to run that long and hammer it to half it will open wide and rev up but dies after acouple seconds...

sandm
03-25-2011, 04:55 PM
take it to a tech. few hundred $$ would be good insurance to ensure the air/fuel is dialed in and it's operating at it's peak.

don't keep shooting carb cleaner or starting fluid in it. not good on the internals.

BoiseMoomba
03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
well i looked at the jets that holley gave me the first time.. well the jets hollley put in the rebuild kit was wrong and the power value.. well anyways just put those on and it started right up! just need to figure out the idle and fuel air mix... anyonw got any suggestions on this? right now im just slowing turning one screw at a time til it sounds right but its still randomly dieing on me

dru1974
03-26-2011, 08:03 PM
I'll say it, what or why the hell are people so cheap when it comes to spending a few bucks to get something done before you rec it yourself. So damn cheap.

james yarosz
03-26-2011, 08:22 PM
To adjust the idle mixture screws(the ones on the side of the front float bowl),screw them all the way in till they bottom out(lightly) and back them out 2 turns.Then with the motor idling turm them in slowly.The engine should slowly speed up.When it starts to slow down stop and back that srew out about 1/8th of a turn.Then do the other side.If you can,t hear it use a tach.Keep the motor under about 800rpm,s.If it speeds up too much lower the idle speed control screw.