PDA

View Full Version : Sony Sterios In New 2011 Moomba Boats

jstenger
03-14-2011, 07:09 PM
I was just at the dealer today. I noticed a Sony head unit in a 2011 LSV. I asked my salesman and he said it showed up that way from SC. He said that the 2011s that showed up in the fall had the MB Quart, and the ones that showed up during the winter had the Sonys. I am just wondering if SC finally realized what pieces of crap the MB Quart radios are. My 2010 Outback V goes back to the dealer next week to get the radio replaced under warranty. I am going to try to have them install the new Sony unit instead of another MB Quart crap one, but I don't think SC will go for it. I guess it will depend on how they stand behind there product. I am interested to see if there are any other sad MB Quart owners.

dru1974
03-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Why is it you think the mb quart is crap?

TL7
03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I have the MB Quart system in our 2010 and I've been pleased with it. What issues have you had?

89PROSTAR
03-15-2011, 11:24 AM
I agree, my 2010 has the MB Quart also. I don't have any issues with it. In fact, I was going to suggest it to a buddy of mine. What am I missing?

jstenger
03-15-2011, 12:34 PM
I appologize if I have affended anyone. My opinion is based on my experiance and what I found out at the dealer. I don't know why, but a few of the 2010's that my dealer had sold had different MB problems. Two Outback V's, mine included, have local radio reception issues. The boats parked next to mine receive the stations clear as day, where as mine is all static. Even buying an aftermarket antenna and putting it on top of the windshield didn't help. A couple LSV's were in because their MB's would be at max volume when they turned them on no matter what volume they were left on when turned off. One of my reasons for posting this was to see why SC changed radio suppliers. Their Kenwoods in 2009 were great. 2010 and half way through 2011 they used MB. Now, they are using Sony. Is it because of supplier issues, radio issues, or cost. We probably will never know. Just my opinion.

89PROSTAR
03-15-2011, 12:38 PM
No need to aplogize here.....I'm just curious about any issues..

KSmith
03-15-2011, 05:00 PM
My 2010 has the MB Quart, it pretty much had a mind of it's own, it would just shut off at will for seemingly no reason. During the 20hr maintenance the dealer (Atlanta Marine) discovered the driver side remote was flaky so they replaced it. I have used the stereo in the driveway since then while I tinker and it works fine. Time will tell when I get a chance to take it out. The radio is not very good in mine, but I don't listen to the radio anyway I use the USB drives and I added the CD Player. Once t dies for good I will not put an MD Quart back in, but as long as it works (fingers crossed) I'll let it be for another year or two.

Edit: It also had a tendency to change modes too when it felt like it. So we'd be listening to a USB mix and it would change to radio or whatever...

89PROSTAR
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
I agree the radio is not very good. We have only put about 20 hrs on our 2010. So far no issues, I mainly use it for my Ipod and that works great. So far (Knock on wood)!

Brianinpdx
03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Our custom shop worked on 3 supra's this year doing stereo upgrades and each time, they came across a different "buggy" sometimes very strange problem with the MBQ head unit.

It was ugly how much time the installer spent trying to establish a reference baseline. These where all new boats.

I think the change was probably for the better here guys.

-Brian
Exile Audio

WaterBullDawg1980
03-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Our custom shop worked on 3 supra's this year doing stereo upgrades and each time, they came across a different "buggy" sometimes very strange problem with the MBQ head unit.

It was ugly how much time the installer spent trying to establish a reference baseline. These where all new boats.

I think the change was probably for the better here guys.

-Brian
Exile Audio

Brian and any others that may be able to help-
Can you comment on the MB Quart quality when it comes to marine equipment? I seemed to remember them having a stellar reputation with car audio. At least that was the case a few years back when I had installed their speakers in my truck.

How long have they been doing marine grade equipment? What is their reputation in this space from your experience and what you have heard?

Brianinpdx
03-16-2011, 01:02 PM
WB - A little historical insight on MBQ. In the past when it was just MBQ as a stand alone company they made some fantastic product and had a leadership position in many international markets. I cant remember the exact date, but ~ 7 years ago that company failed and the assets where sold to another company owning many brands. I cant comment on the specifics of that transaction because frankly I wasnt part of any of it. But I can say from an industry insider, that the business model of this new company is very different than the old MBQ. They utilize more of a shot gun approach to the sales and distribution. Product wise a lot of the old designs moved to china. New designs appeared to be more badge orientated.

I've seen this cycle happen with many of the 1990's brands. I.e. PPI, soundstream, orion, ADS, to name a few. They make great names for themselves in their respective primes, and then for whatever reason, end up sold as a name to a high velocity sales and distribution company.

I dont want people to think this is an attack on the brand per say. Just my industry opinion. As it applies to the MBQ headunits, I'd be asking, what model replaces the current one found in these boats, and how does it differ from the past. Those answers, I do not know. The devil is always in the details.

The headunit brands I see doing great things in the marine after market are: Kenwood and Alpine. As a side note to all this, interestingly the president of the old MQB is now the president of Kenwood USA. Funny how the world turns eh?

-Brian
Exile Audio

EarmarkMarine
03-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Just as Brian described it. Who knows what it is at this time.
Once MBQuart was a West German company. Then failed. Pulled out by Rockford Fosgate or their umbrella company. Dropped and dissolved. Brand was picked up by the company that imports a bunch of products from Asia, MaxxSonics or something. No R&D. Just importing and marketing. Some MB Quart speakers may look similar to the originals but have zero in common. What's interesting is that the MB Quart marine electronics have no affiliation with the core MB Quart importer. Its just a licensing agreement for the trademark. Kind of like my Chevy truck displaying the Bose logo but without a Bose speaker to be found, not that I wanted one. Probably licensed to the marine audio distributor that services OEM boat builders. Parts and service are bound to be a headache before to long.
Supras have converted to Clarion source electronics in 2011.

David
Earmark Marine

jmvotto
03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
David, what are my speakers then in my Chevy if they aren't bose. Dag nab it

EarmarkMarine
03-16-2011, 08:30 PM
jmvotto,
Now you may have been fortunate to get Bose but mine were as generic of a speaker as you can get. I think it was a paper Matsushikazuki with a whizzer cone if I remember correctly.
David
Earmark Marine

jmvotto
03-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Whizzer cone. Lmao.....

Canuckle Head
03-16-2011, 08:57 PM
If you were in the market for a new head unit, what would it be?

jstenger
03-16-2011, 09:51 PM
I had a Sony Xplod in my 2004 boat, and I loved it. Even with no amp and whatever generic marine speakers the boat came with, it sounded great. I never had any reception or radio problems.

jmvotto
03-16-2011, 11:56 PM
If you were in the market for a new head unit, what would it be?

Alpine for sure ...

Canuckle Head
03-17-2011, 01:28 AM
Alpine for sure ...

Some specifics would be helpful..............:roll:

Model number please.

mmandley
03-19-2011, 08:38 AM
I have never been a Kenwood fan always preferred Alpine but the Kenwood 700U is awesome head-unit.

The face looks big like a DIN but the actual deck is the same sixe as the normal stereo and with the fold down face to hold my I Phone or I Pod or USB drive its pretty nice. Also its a Marine deck, 3 4V pre outs and if you get the remote it had a Digi display with all the normal functions of the deck at your finger tips.

Only thing i would have changed is it takes a little longer to turn the stereo down since its a push button but heck who wants to turn the music down lol.