PDA

View Full Version : Clamp Block Replacement

PatL
03-14-2011, 07:47 AM
I've had very sloppy steering on my boat over the past season or so. I think it may be related to the ball joint on the clamp block. I pulled the rear floor on my 2005 Outback while doing my Perfect Pass install yesterday. Clamp Block moves back and forth quite a bit. I ordered a new Clamp Block from Discount Inboard Marine and plan to install this weekend. I will take a couple pics of the locations and installation.

Currently debating whether or not to do the steering cable at the same time. Steering is a little tight but not too bad. I may employ that thread from a while back about drilling a hole in the steering cable and shooting CRC type lubricant inside the sheathing.

moombadaze
03-14-2011, 09:55 AM
If ya got the flooring aready up, might as well do a cable at the same time

deafgoose
03-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Keep us updated.

I am having the same problem.

PatL
03-14-2011, 07:35 PM
So I decided Moombadaze has the idea and I'm going to replace steering cable and clamp block. Attached is a pic of the current clamp block which I have begun to disassemble. Note the amount of corrosion on the ball assembly. That plus a few too many roundabouts has led to current sloppy condition I think.

deafgoose
03-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Did a new clamp solve the problem?

PatL
03-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Deafgoose, I have all the parts in hand and plan to work on the install today. Will let you know. I plan to post some pics of the parts for you. I can tell you the new clamp block has very little play in it compared to the OEM part.

DOCDRS
03-20-2011, 10:44 AM
wooo hooo a new how to post..........take lots of pics :)

deafgoose
05-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Update? :)