PDA

View Full Version : Help with ballast bags

wakeflip
03-12-2011, 01:50 AM
I have an 05 Moomba outback lsv that currently has no ballast bags, switches, plumbing, etc. I have $1200 to spend and Im hoping I can do a auto fill and drain triple ballast set up in that price range. My question is this. I want to go with the heaviest ballast bags I can, but when Im ordering after market ballast bags, how do I know they will fit in the center locker and rear side compartments? Any recomendations on which ones to get? Also, does anybody have any DIY information on how to run the plumbing, whats needed, etc. I found a pump and hose kit for $300 something dollars, but Im sure I can piece it together alot cheaper myself, I just dont know what I need. Any info is appreciated.

jmvotto
03-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Search the modifications lots of people did unique ballast upgrades. Standard sc upgrades, vented loops, reversible pumps. Etc. Lots of advice here on it . Lots of resources wake makers, flo rite, flyhigh etc.

moombadaze
03-12-2011, 09:57 AM
2 750Lb bags for rear lockers-biggest bag that will fit--Wakemakers
1 400Lb bag for ski locker--Wakemakers
3 reversible johnson pumps--Wakemakers
1" hose for pumps--homedepot, lowes, ace hardware
3/4" hose for vents--^^^
3 switchs--auto parts store
wireing--auto parts store
flyhigh quick hose fittings--Wakemakers
hose clamps--autoparts store

best of luck

oddos2525
03-12-2011, 11:46 AM
I bought my 750's at wakemakers. They will have everything you need for bags and parts at the best prices. As for everything else, just listen to Moombadaze.

2007 Outback V
03-12-2011, 05:15 PM
2 750Lb bags for rear lockers-biggest bag that will fit--Wakemakers
1 400Lb bag for ski locker--Wakemakers
3 reversible johnson pumps--Wakemakers
1" hose for pumps--homedepot, lowes, ace hardware
3/4" hose for vents--^^^
3 switchs--auto parts store
wireing--auto parts store
flyhigh quick hose fittings--Wakemakers
hose clamps--autoparts store

best of luck

Just to add a few things to daze's list:

Make sure the switches are able to reverse polarity if you go with reversible pumps. Personally I would get stock a stock switch plate from a dealer, will increase value more on a resale.

Consider one way valves on the vent lines, this will create a vacuum and suck the bags completely flat when emptying.

Don't forget the intakes for the bottom of the boat, whether you go with one to supply all three pumps or one intake per pump.

I would go with the reversible pumps, especially since the Johnson pumps are at a nice price right now. Give wakemakers a call, Jeremy or Spencer can walk you through everything you need. Make one big order through them, get free shipping and don't forget about the MOOMBAOWNERS discount!

Good luck!

moombadaze
03-12-2011, 07:40 PM
yep, forgot about the thru hulls and ball valves

2007 Outback V
03-12-2011, 10:13 PM
LOL, yup those ball valves are important too. More reason to make sure you have a complete parts list put together before you take on this project. Even then, bet you still make a couple runs to the hardware store!

Ballast work is so much fun! :p

JesseC
03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
I would get the ballst switches from wakemakers as well. They look like the factory ones used in most brands of boats. You can wire them to relays to supply the correct current to your pumps. I built a small single switch plate out of ABS plastic so I could add a fourth bag. It will look fine and be ok for resale.

Here is a thread where I posted some wiring and building of my single switch plate to go along with the factory three plate.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10483