PDA

View Full Version : Engineers Help

jmvotto
03-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Anyone know the calculation for watts to lumens. looking at different underwater LED's some quote in lumens some in wattts???:mad: for example

110 halogen watts = X led lumens:confused:

kaneboats
03-11-2011, 04:53 PM
One site said this:

In this context, Watts are a measure of electrical power and lumens a measure of light output. So, depending on the efficiency of your light source the equivalency will vary dramatically. For example, a 60 watt conventional light bulb typically gives off 800 lumens. A frosted 60 watt bulb may only give off 500 lumens. A 13 watt CFL will give off that same 800 lumens, which is why 13 watt CFLs are often (erroneously) called 60 watt bulbs.

Here's one with a formula though:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7305200_convert-cfl-watts-lumens.html

2007 Outback V
03-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Yup, what kaneboats said. There is no conversion factor for Watts to lumens. Watts is a measure of power, Joules per second, or Newton meters per second, while lumens is a measure of light power as perceived by the human eye. Wavelengths of light affect perception.......ok I'll stop you get the point. I would base your choices off lumens, which is the important factor. Who gives a rip how many watts, if the light is dim.

jmvotto
03-13-2011, 08:51 AM
Reason I ask . iCal Ed lumitec on the sea blaze 3 underwater led and they would not quote lumens just as bright 110 watt halogen?.....

viking
03-13-2011, 01:29 PM
For what it's worth -
I did the whole research thing last year and read the comparison test on WW and couldn't find any better bang for the buck than "newty's" group buy ($1 per Lumens).

There was a decent deal on Bakesonline for some Atwood's but they had the Malibu logo engraved in them and I'd have to buy the boat to match if I would have gone that route :)

jmvotto
03-13-2011, 04:12 PM
I Am looking at vision as well I think it 249 for 720 lumens,group buy was better priced but no green at the time. So about .30 cents per lumen. I saw the malibu as well.