PDA

View Full Version : Flex Boards

Lawdog
03-09-2011, 12:26 AM
Been possibly looking for a flex board. I have found absolutely nobody locally. Closest places are both a little over an hour away. One place sells Slingshot boards and the other is starting to sell Humanoid boards. I currently have a Liquid Force PS3 but would like a flex board for softer landings. Been told the SS boards are alot smoother on the bottom while the Humanoid have more built in fins but are a little more stiff. Any insight would be cool on either brand or even another brand that is good.

KG's Supra24
03-09-2011, 12:31 AM
I have been considering one as well. I might try to pick out a Ronix Pheonix Project at the end of the year if they get good reviews over the summer. It is new this year, you might check it out.

brain_rinse
03-09-2011, 12:33 AM
I love my Company Severance. It's a 3 stage that's pretty rigid in the middle and softer on the ends. I've ridden a Slingshot Recoil and it was indistinguishable to me. They ride so much differently than conventional boards though, it's a love it or hate it thing. If you like the free ride loose snowboard feel then they rock. If you like tight locked in Parks Bonnifay boards then it's prob not for you.

Lawdog
03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Local shop sells Ronix and I could at least demo that board.

bzubke1
03-09-2011, 12:48 AM
I've heard the watson hybrid is great both behind the boat and at the cable. I ride a '10 watson 143 and for behind the boat I love the shape, it's fast on edge but still easy to break loose. FYI the watson hybrid is the same shape as the standard watson it just has more flex amongst some other differences.

you da man
03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a SS Reflex. I must say I'll probably never go back to a traditional stiff board after riding a SS. On my first W2W into the flats the landing was much softer. Definately had the wow factor first time out. Plus it's lighter than my previous Ronix.

New Guy
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I just picked up a Watson Hybrid 139 that I can't wait to get out on if the ice ever melts. Hopefully I will be able to get a review out soon.

dusty2221
03-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Another Slingshot rider here. I have a Slingshot Recoil and LOVE it. Landings are smoother, it is 3 stage, and it is sooo light weight.

Lawdog
03-09-2011, 06:04 PM
If I have to buy a board without doing a demo I think I might lean toward the SS because they look like they have some good deals on their previous year boards. The Ronix board really has my interests peaked though.

KG's Supra24
03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
If you can get a demo you have nothing to lose checking it out. Do it and let me know!! I love the look of the board too.

morgan040
03-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I ride a SS Recoil, and I love it. I will never go back to a "normal" board. I was previosly roding the Ronix One and I liked it untill I tried the Sling Shot!!!!

Lawdog
03-10-2011, 12:22 AM
If you can get a demo you have nothing to lose checking it out. Do it and let me know!! I love the look of the board too.

I went and spoke with the local shop and they said they were definetly getting the Phoenix and said once the ice melts I can get a demo on it. So I'll let you know.

scoot_gt
03-10-2011, 11:27 PM
No one has mentioned Company boards so I will. Love my 2009 Recruit. Transitioned from an 04 Hyperlite Parks. Obviously the Recruit is a ton lighter but I didn't notice alot of difference with the "locked in" feel - my Parks was a super tight, locked board. I ride my Recruit with the 4 outer fins and no middle fins - same feel.

As mentioned several times, landings are nice - I had knee surgery in 2008.

09 Company boots are nice as well. Liked them so much I bought a 2nd set for my other board - an 09 LF Shane. I will probably replace the Shane this year for a better flex board (its just my "keep at home" board). The Recruit stays at the lake...

brain_rinse
03-10-2011, 11:51 PM
No one has mentioned Company boards so I will.
I did! But yeah, they really are great boards.

scoot_gt
03-11-2011, 12:00 AM
I did! But yeah, they really are great boards.

Doh! I admit that I skim read.

In Summary -
+1 for Company

jjolson
03-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I like my flex board......

2007 Outback V
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
I've got only good things to say about the SS boards. Huge difference over my previous Blindside board, LOL. I don't think they even make those things anymore. I am a big snowboarder in the winter, so naturally a flex board fits my style. I can say that I am very please with my slingshot response.

Good luck!

Lawdog
03-23-2011, 11:09 PM
I went ahead and ordered a 2009 Slingshot Recoil with the Pearl Boots (the boots are for my wife). Got the setup for $249 from their clearance section on their website. I figure $249 isn't too terribly bad since I didn't get to demo it. If anyone one is considering a SS check out their website for some pretty good deals.

2007 Outback V
03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
great score - I also noticed that they are discounting thier D2 boots - without going into detail be careful

You can't just leave us hanging like that.......please do tell?

viking
03-24-2011, 07:45 PM
I went ahead and ordered a 2009 Slingshot Recoil with the Pearl Boots (the boots are for my wife). Got the setup for $249 from their clearance section on their website. I figure $249 isn't too terribly bad since I didn't get to demo it. If anyone one is considering a SS check out their website for some pretty good deals.

I've been checking out their web special section for some time now. Kinda waiting for their 2010 lineup to get down to $249. Maybe this winter?

Lawdog
03-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I was going to get the 2010 package but didn't want to spend the extra $100. If I like this board I might upgrade to another next year. Now that I have my flex board I have to work on getting some tower speakers.