PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on boat issue

TL7
03-06-2011, 10:51 PM
We have a 2010 LSV that has had some type of intermittent electrical issue. It's been in the shop 3 times, and the issue just happened again today. Tomorrow will be the 4th time taking it to the dealer, which is 1 hour away.

The dealer has been great and is trying everything they can to try and fix. I work in manufacturing for downhole oilfield tools (many complex PCB boards, circuits, wiring, etc), so I understand how frustrating it is to try and fix an intermittent problem that cannot be duplicated. It's like chasing a ghost. I get this and understand this, and my gripe is not with the dealer, because I know they don't want to see my boat anymore than I want to take it to them.

The question is at what point do I say enough is enough, and when that point gets here (if it's not already), how do I approach it? I don't want ill will to happen to the dealer, because this is an issue from the factory and they just get stuck trying to troubleshoot and fix. However, I'm to the point where it's either fixed or lets move on to the next solution. I paid too much money to have to worry about whether or not the boat is going to die out all day long when out with friends and family.

This is my second Moomba (2007 Outback was first), and I still think they are great boats. I'm just really frustrated and want to enjoy my boat on the weekends, not be concerned with issues. I deal with that enough during the work week.

The actual problem is not the issue here, rather what would you do and how patient should I be. For inquiring minds who want to know anyway, the boat shuts down randomly, as if someone turns the key off and then turns it right back on. On occasion, I will have to manually restart the boat, but the majority of the times it will shut down (all gauges zero out, motor shuts off momentarily) then come right back on to where it was (speed, rpm, etc). Imagine a dryer running and opening the door to throw a shirt in and closing it really fast before it fully shuts down. The switches are still hot, however, ie the stereo never shuts off. This happens at all different RPM's, speeds, cruise on, cruise off, doesn't matter. Totally random. Even at surf speeds, which is not cool when you are surfing and the boat literally stops right in front of you.

First time in the shop (April 2010), they thought it could be faulty kill switch. Replaced.
Second time (May 2010), they did something with distributor coil or something like that. Not 100% sure.
Third time (Feb 2011), the ignition and ignition harness was replaced.

Where do I go from here?

Edit: the intent of this isn't to bag on Moomba, Skiers Choice, or the dealer. I simply want fellow Moomba owners (not random guys from Wakeworld) to help me see some points of view from outside of the situation.

kaneboats
03-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Is it completely random or is there a specific amount of time that passes before it will cut out? I mean can it happen in the first 5 min. out or is it usually after everything is warmed up?

TL7
03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Good question. Usually it happens after it's warmed up an hour or so (estimation), but when it was at it's worst last April/May it was happening very frequently and very soon after launching.

rdlangston13
03-07-2011, 01:57 AM
i would say pcm. doesn't sound like a wiring problem to me

zabooda
03-07-2011, 03:01 AM
I would recommend you contacting both SC and your dealer and let them know the problem still persists and between the two of them they should know what their next step will be in advance of you going there. It appears the dealer has been working on larger issues as you came back. I'm not familiar with the newer boats but I myself would tackle the some of the easier corrective actions and that would be to remove any multipin connections and spray with contact cleaner and reinstall. You may want to ask SC and the dealer what other actions or checks you can do that may correct the problem. I know any computer chip that is intermittant will remain that way or get worse where bad wiring or a bad connection is totally random.

wolfeman131
03-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Wish there was a "lemon law" for boats, because I feel for you. The stress and anticipation of will it start/will it die is what made us get rid of the old boat and buy a new Moomba. Shouldn't be that way with a new boat and it needs to be made right whether that means all new electronics in your boat or a new boat. Somebody needs to also begin to compensate you for your time & gas.

brain_rinse
03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
yes, it's time to contact Skiers Choice directly and discuss the issue.

Call customer service and ask for Brian Raymond or Matt Brown. They may very well know of the problem from other folks and have the fix readilly available.

I agree. Definitely time to escalate the issue and get it resolved one way or another. Good luck!

saskyrider
03-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I feel for you.... and i know exactly what your going through. I purchased a Ford F150 diamond edition new in 2009. In the spring of 2010 i started having problems with it. Turn the key and..... nothing. then come back 20 minutes later and it starts no problem. I am real good friends with the salesman that sold it to me and after them looking at the truck 4 times and telling me it's fixed, i told my buddy that if it did it again that i was trading it off on a dodge. well it did it again and i traded on a dodge. I felt bad because he's a good friend and i know the guys in the back went nuts trying to find the gremlin..... but it left me twice in the city and i'd had enough. Love my new dodge.

I'd let skier's choice and your dealer know that your nearing the point of no return and see what they say.

If you do look at getting rid of it are you going with another moomba or are you switching brands??

TL7
03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I took the boat in this morning, and they are going to lake test and have a computer hooked to it the entire time to try and get a code if the problem happens.

I think I'll go ahead and contact Skiers Choice.

To the guy who asked if I'd get another Moomba, at this point I would say yes. The 07 we had never had an issue, and we love everything about our current boat other than the electrical issue. Hopefully they make it right.

DOCDRS
03-07-2011, 01:14 PM
I would also get on the phone and talk to Indmar.... They are usually pretty helpful and the guys who warranty the motor,tranny vdrive