PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Outback V Pricing

jeter
03-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi all, I’m new to the board based on my interest in buying used Moomba Outback V and trying to do my research. My family does a lot of wakeboarding and slalom waterskiing, thus we choose to go with an Outback V. Our budget is $24K-$28K and we are currently looking at a 2006 Moomba Outback V which has a tandem trailer, ballast system, tower, bimini top, and Moomba’s stock cruise control, however no tower speakers. This boat is listed at $31K and I have the dealer down to $28K. What do you think of this price? The base NADA prices are as follows: Suggested list price $32K, Average Retail $24K, and low retail of $21K.

I feel like it’s so hard to pick a boat and you always feel like when you buy one the next week there will be one for sale at better price, don’t want to make that mistake.

I look forward to your guy’s opinions and thanks in advance.

kaneboats
03-06-2011, 11:11 PM
The only one that matters is the one you buy. If you are happy with the deal, go for it.

maxpower220
03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
I would try to go lower on the price for that year. Keep looking, there will be some good deals out there to be had.

jmvotto
03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Depends on Hours and condition. Dealer tried to give me 27k for my 07 OBV in august for a trade in, but i have alot more options than the standard. so i was tempted if it got to 31 to 33k on a trade for a newer boat. My.02

saskyrider
03-07-2011, 11:09 AM
jmvotto is exactly right!! It depends on the hours and conditions plus the options that it has. It's high for NADA but is that a standard boat or is there lots of extras??

Bottom line is there is always going to be a better deal that comes along after the fact! You have to decide if you really like the boat and if so then as long as the price is good (doesn't have to be perfect) then go for it. If you compromise on things you want just to get into a certain price range you will probably regret it.

good luck and make sure to post pics when you do pull the trigger!!

jeter
03-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I appreciate the all the info and advice so far….keep it coming!! The boat is aboat a 10 hour drive away so I have only viewed pictures so far. From the pictures it looks brand new (i.e. All seats look like they are in really good condition, carpet looks nice and the outside doesn’t have a scratch on it). The boat has ~234 hours on it and it has been used up in the northwest where our boating season is relatively short.

When you guys talk about extra’s what other extras could I ask for or would I really want with this boat, other than tower speakers and lights?

I'm also lucky becuase it will be registered in MT where we have not sales tax so I save a couple grand there.

saskyrider
03-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Perfect pass, upgraded ballast, type of stereo installed (high end vs. stock) board racks, travel cover, stuff like that. You can get a cover for $200.00 or you can spend 750-1000 on an Evolution or like variety. Perfect Pass is just under 1K, stereo can get pretty crazy as well. If you had a list of the options included it would be cool.

Geoff:p

jmvotto
03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Other options for the OBV

I have added the followingto my OBV

1 factory bimini dealer installed

2 3 led interior lights dealer installed

3 Two 6.5” tower speakers HLCD dealer installed

4 One 6 channel jl 6600 marine amp for cabins and sub dealer installed

5 One polk momo marine 10”subwoofer dealer installed

6 Center Bow cushion

7 Depth finder dealer installed

8 6 6.5”polk db651 marine speakers self installed

9 On kicker zx 450.2 amp for tower speakers self installed on custom carpet board

10 Additional battery dealer installed

11 BEP marine VSR battery isolator self installed for two battery bank system

12 10 led’s in cup holders connected to interior led switch

13 Changed out rear light for 12 v switch outlet

14 Upgraded ballast to gIII from GI in factory specified locations self installed

15 Plumbed and wired for bow sac if necessary

16 Ipod adapter on head unit

17 westsound eq ws420 for tower and inboat separate volume control, eq, sub control and tower mic

skiyaker
03-07-2011, 08:00 PM
I think that sounds just a little high for a 2006. I have a 2008 with similar options (though single axel trailer) but with perfect pass and if I could get high 20s for it I'd feel like it's held its value well. Then again I got mine when the boat market was in the absolute crapper and if this board is any indication it seems like there's more purchasing action this spring.

Of all the add ons, perfect pass would be at the top of my list- especially if your wife will be driving.

trebor-75
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Last summer I bought an 06 OBV in very good condition, with 210 hours and payed right around 28k. However it did have a few good options, including Perfect Pass. So far I have been very happy with it. My dad slaloms and I wakeboard, and its been great for both.

Does the boat your looking at have the gravity 3 ballast? Since your going to pull wakeboarders your definetly going to want the extra weight.

jeter
03-08-2011, 06:45 AM
These posts are so helpful, I always feel like when you talk to a dealer or the seller they fill you with whatever you want to hear.

I’m assuming it has the gravity 3 ballast as there is one sack in the ski locker and two in the back. From the pictures the boat looks to be in pristine condition and well taken care of.

I swear this whole boat buying process is going to get me a headache and get me fired from work with all the research and looking for boats for sale during the work hours :) I have read a lot of other waterski and wakeboarding forums and it is interesting to hear what boats people suggest for a good crossover boat and it seems to be a hot topic. Some say it’s really hard thing to find in a boat due to both activities wanting the opposite things. I’m glad to hear that the OBV is working for waterskiing and wakeboard. I really wanted to post a question on the crossover for the Moomba but I feel like everyone has such different options I decided not to waste anyone time. Ok I have just a few other questions for the experts…..

1. I agree that the perfect pass is a must, but can I deal with the stock cruise control for the first year? And yes the wife will be driving
2. How is the surfing behind this boat?

I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet and can’t seem to find any 2005 or new boat with decent hours that is under$28k. Might have to make the drive this weekend to check this bad boy out!!

skiyaker
03-08-2011, 08:03 AM
I think the OBV- especially the pre 2009 OBV- is about as good of a V Drive ski boat as it gets. I'm probably one of the few that actually runs it through the course- though I'm not good at it (yet) but I've had some others at our ski club run the course with it at 15 off and they (who usually ski behind boomerangs, ski supreme, MC, nautique, etc) describe it as "not too bad" meaning that it won't be as good as a dedicated slalom boat but it's definitely skiable. Now that's at 15 off- if you started trying to run a shorter line you might have some problems but if you're a recreational skier you'll be fine.

Surf wake isn't as good as the new OBV models but in my first season of trying it with the stock gravity 3 ballast (which you are correct- it is a 400# bag in each V drive compartment and one in the ski locker) and several buds on the boat I was able to free surf. With a 750# bag in the rear compartment you'd be good to go.

I got by with the "moomba cruise" for a year it's just that it's an RPM based cruise so it will drop some speed in the turns- if you run on a big lake it's not as much of an issue but if you're making lots of turns it can be annoying.

I'm no expert but that's my $.02

mmandley
03-08-2011, 12:58 PM
I got by with the "moomba cruise" for a year it's just that it's an RPM based cruise so it will drop some speed in the turns- if you run on a big lake it's not as much of an issue but if you're making lots of turns it can be annoying.

I'm no expert but that's my $.02

I have to intergect here as i only use Moomba Cruise and after you set the cruise you give it another 3 or 4 inches of throttle then you can make turns as long as they are less then 90 degrees as the boat will slow down but since its a 1 speed trans it will lose RPM and hince the extra throttle you gave it will allow the engine to add more fuel and raise its RPM. If you take too sharp a turn then you will slow down even if you have GPS.

Moomba Cruise is one of the most misunderstood options and thats why so many hate it so much but after 2 seasons using it and playing with it i feel pretty comfortable with it and just havnt been able to justify 1K for an upgrade of it.

brain_rinse
03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I always thought the benefit of Perfect Pass is the "set it and forget it." Once you have the speed set you're done. No need to teach other drivers how to use it... they just mash the throttle and then steer. Plus you can turn off the ignition and it keeps your settings. (this one is important to me.)

mmandley
03-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Yes those are realy serious beneifits indeed Brain.

I dont know about the mash it and forget it LOL. I was with Al last summer and he Mashed the throttle and im pretty sure he had the PP set to 22 as thats what i wanted and i lost the rope LOL. Might have just been my nerves boarding behind him for the first time too.

I constantly think toes forward toes forward LOL. I didnt learn this the first season and would fight the boat every pull then last year it finaly clicked in my head and i learned getting up the proper way so now its always toes forward LOL

brain_rinse
03-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Ha! Ok, good point.... "mash" means different things to different drivers! And PP is by no means perfect either. It behaves much differently depending on how much weight is in the boat. You can configure the settings for your typical config, but when you're not being typical it can be a little weird. Still, the set and forget is pretty close and it makes bad drivers tolerable drivers.

murraymoomba
03-08-2011, 07:57 PM
We hydrofoil behind our outback v all the time with only moomba cruise. I think it works very well and any one that drives it also thinks it works well too. I think it is very misunderstood.

jmvotto
03-08-2011, 09:26 PM
i use moomba cruise as well. i wish it did not reset until you turn it off on the switch, when you change riders we always shut off the engine so when surfing you have to dial it in manually for each rider. no problem when i am driving but when i am surfing its tough for others to dial it in