PDA

View Full Version : Depth finder

snyderaaron
03-06-2011, 11:57 AM
How hard is it to install one of these one an lsv. I see i can buy one for about 225 but don't know if im technical enough to install it

sandm
03-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I would think that it's just power/ground/illum. for the gauge and running a wire back to the transducer that gets stuck to the bottom of the bilge?

not much to them. would think the worst part would be running the wire back to the engine compartment and drilling some sort of hole in the cockpit for the gauge..

maxpower220
03-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I installed one in my boat. There are several different ones with different features. Mine is a standard depth finder with air and water temps. I had to cut a 2" hole for the gauge. I then ran the wiring to an area in the bilge where I put the puck (transducer). The transducer that I got needs to be epoxied into place. They make ones that must be through-holed, which means cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat. Another wire goes to where you want the air temp read, I used the air inlet for the engine box. The other wire goes to pick up water temp. You can drill the bottom of your boat for that too. I chosed to inplant that pickup into the raw water pick up in my boat. The gauge needs a power and ground, with I hooked into a rocker switch on my panel that had nothing on it. The last thing was hooking up the alarm buzzer and mounting that.

ian ashton
03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I installed one in my boat. There are several different ones with different features. Mine is a standard depth finder with air and water temps. I had to cut a 2" hole for the gauge. I then ran the wiring to an area in the bilge where I put the puck (transducer). The transducer that I got needs to be epoxied into place. They make ones that must be through-holed, which means cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat. Another wire goes to where you want the air temp read, I used the air inlet for the engine box. The other wire goes to pick up water temp. You can drill the bottom of your boat for that too. I chosed to inplant that pickup into the raw water pick up in my boat. The gauge needs a power and ground, with I hooked into a rocker switch on my panel that had nothing on it. The last thing was hooking up the alarm buzzer and mounting that.

Which gauge did you use? Any pics?

cham
03-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Which gauge did you use? Any pics?

I second this

harmsway
03-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I installed a depth finder during this past winter (hopefully winter is over). It wasn't that bad of a job, of coarse my LS had a gauge hole that was not being used by the shifter. I wired mine to the ignition switch so it would come on when the engine is started and goes off when cut off. If you are going to use the one that the transducer glues to the bottom of the boat its a pretty simple install. One of the toughest part was fishing the transducer cable from the engine compartment to the dash. Just locate the opening in the engine compartment that all of the existing cables run up to the dash. Take a piece of house electrical wire and tape the transducer cable to it and fish wire through the hole. It helps to have someone with a small hand to retreive the cable in the hole under the dash were the cables come out. The link below is like the one I installed but it didn't have the water temp pick up included, but I did only give $75.00 for it new and came with the chrome trim.
(also a pic of mine installed)
If you have any questions or need more pics drop me a email or I can post them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lowrance-LST-3800-Depthsounder-W-Temp-Readout-Tducer-/270658363398?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f047ee006

mmandley
03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I installed a depth finder during this past winter (hopefully winter is over). It wasn't that bad of a job, of coarse my LS had a gauge hole that was not being used by the shifter. I wired mine to the ignition switch so it would come on when the engine is started and goes off when cut off. If you are going to use the one that the transducer glues to the bottom of the boat its a pretty simple install. One of the toughest part was fishing the transducer cable from the engine compartment to the dash. Just locate the opening in the engine compartment that all of the existing cables run up to the dash. Take a piece of house electrical wire and tape the transducer cable to it and fish wire through the hole. It helps to have someone with a small hand to retreive the cable in the hole under the dash were the cables come out. The link below is like the one I installed but it didn't have the water temp pick up included, but I did only give $75.00 for it new and came with the chrome trim.
(also a pic of mine installed)
If you have any questions or need more pics drop me a email or I can post them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lowrance-LST-3800-Depthsounder-W-Temp-Readout-Tducer-/270658363398?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f047ee006

WHOW had to take a double take on your pic Harms LOL.
Looks almost like mine LOL. I flushed mine in though. You depth gauge is a bit different though

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Picture013.jpg

Heres the write up i did for it. It also has a realy nice close up of the flush mount me and Newty did.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10211

harmsway
03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
WHOW had to take a double take on your pic Harms LOL.
Looks almost like mine LOL. I flushed mine in though. You depth gauge is a bit different though

I thought hard about flush mounting the remote, but I just could not bring myself to cut the hole. You can't beat that Kenwood set up. Everything is at you finger tips.

mmandley
03-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I agree with you on the set up. TBH i couldnt get my self to cut it eighter, i called AWS and asked how much for a new panel incase i messed it up. Then i called my local boat butcher.

Boat Butcher? Ahh yea Newty. For a 6pack of Bud Light Lime Newty was more then willing to cut my panel up as an experiment lol.

So we did it at his place and then later he bought the same stereo and remote and did it to his.