PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wench???

morgan040
03-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Ok I have gone through 2 trailer wenches in 2 years. What is a good wench to get, Should I get an electric one??? I am tired of changing it. Let me know what you guys like or dislike.

Thanks

brain_rinse
03-03-2011, 03:09 PM
I think you mean winch, although boat wenches are fun to talk about too. :)

At some point I'd like to add the Fulton F2 trailer jack and the matching winch.

kaneboats
03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Boat wenches may be OK, but stay away from trailer wenches at all costs. :)

DOCDRS
03-03-2011, 04:14 PM
I have noticed the occasional one hangin around my trailer where I store it in the woods but was wearing an awesome hoodie so not sure how good a wench it was as my eyes we focused on that amazing hoodie. I still wonder to this day where that hoodie came from?

sandm
03-03-2011, 04:46 PM
I got a boat wench, problem is it's no good to put the boat on the trailer. she can drive well tho :)

on a related note from brain, I've been trying to get ahold of the guy on ebay that has the fulton plates for 2 weeks. not an easy prospect :(

dusty2221
03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Someone posted one on WW that they are making, you can order from them. Chucktronics I think.

newty
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
You keep calling them wenches to thier face? I'm surprised they lasted that long! I usually wait until shes out of the boat on the way to get the trailer:p

On another note I've heard the Fulton F-2 is the way to go!

11 Outback V
03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
You can order the adapter from Boatmate.

Check your loading procedure!!!!
Why are you needing to replace the winch, ever?
Do you winch the boat up on the trailer? Try driving the boaton the trailer. I do this and only need to tighten the winch about 3 inches each time.

sandm
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
just sent a pm to chuck. let you know how it goes. I've tried for 2 weeks to hook up with this pete at smooth watersports and no luck. ALL phone calls go to a msg service so I'm giving up.

Razzman
03-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Trailer wenches wear out, your trailer winch shouldn't :p

kaneboats
03-04-2011, 10:41 AM

Do you winch the boat up on the trailer? Try driving the boaton the trailer. I do this and only need to tighten the winch about 3 inches each time.

Some areas of the country it's not allowed to power load at the ramps. And some of them don't have a good angle to get the trailer deep enough. This can be tough on a winch and strap.

ian ashton
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM

Thats exactly what I was thinking!

sandm
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
fyi, adapter from boatmate is over $80. they don't stock it, don't make it, but can order it, presumably from the same people that everyone else is getting it from. boatmate doesn't stock it since it's not made by fulton. I would suspect that they are trying to avoid any sort of liability issue if it should damage the trailer.
looks like smoothwatersports and chucktronics are the 2 so far that carry it.

ian ashton
03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Some areas of the country it's not allowed to power load at the ramps. And some of them don't have a good angle to get the trailer deep enough. This can be tough on a winch and strap.

I soak the bunks, pull forward so that the front edge is emerging from the water, coast the boat up till it stops on the bunks, latch, and crank. I don't power load, mostly because I'm affraid something will go wrong and the boat will plow into the tow vehicle, lol.

brain_rinse
03-04-2011, 12:40 PM
I never really considered the adapter I guess. I was planning to just cut off the old plate, hit it with some paint, then bolt the new Fulton in the same place.

sandm
03-04-2011, 01:17 PM
it'll never look good if you do that. the new fulton plate for the f2 really needs to be welded on. seems that the plates should run in the $35 range. I can't get a buddy to come over for much less than that with a welder, not to mention grinder time/paint time and this way looks somewhat factory :)

brain_rinse
03-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Somewhere I saw a Fulton bolted on with U bolts, same way the spare tire mounts get put on. But now that you mention it that does seem a little dicey to mount it that way.

Razzman
03-04-2011, 02:13 PM
The last one I saw flush bolted to the stock mount and had threaded holes for the Fulton. Best looking setup so far and no welding neccessary.

Here's a pic.

Razzman
03-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Then there's this; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140379873448&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Ian Brantford
03-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Morgan, how long is the strap in your current winch? The original strap on mine was 10'. When it wore out and ripped, I could only find a 20' replacement quickly. Due to the increased radius when it's almost winched in, it's much harder to get that last foot or so done. The winch is under far more load than with the original, shorter strap. I found a 15' model on-line somewhere and will order it.

sandm
03-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Then there's this; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140379873448&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

I've been trying for 2 weeks to contact that dude. ALL his calls go to an outside messaging service. got him to call back once, and of course he leaves the same number that goes straight to service again. called at all hours of the central/east coast timezone.
I gave up :(
all I can say is bizz must be good..