PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Owner's Wakesurf Board Sharing Program

wolfeman131
03-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Seems like we're all wanting to try out different boards, yet it also seems tough to get our hands on demo boards. I understand that a lot of the good board makers are small businesses and therefore having demo boards might be a challenge, especially if they have to cover shipping, etc.

So, after seeing KG's post about providing a shipping label, anyone interested in putting together a pool of Moomba/Supra owners where we all contirbute some $$ to buy a set of different boards we agree on and then share throughout the season? We could then do a random drawing at the end of the season (or even next season) to see who would then be the owner of the board. If you didn't get the board you liked best, individual owners could work out swaps.

Everyone would have to commit upfront to a schedule of when and where the current board they had would be shipped to next. Kinda round-robin style and each person would have to cover shipping cost to the next location. We could try and arrange a loop across the country so people wouldn't get jammed up having to ship from the great Northwest to Florida, or vice versa.

Other thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

sandm
03-03-2011, 12:13 PM
this was done on ww a few years ago with a wakeboard/bindings. I don't remember who the pro rider was that hooked it up, but long story, board got held up here in boise by some white trash. I volunteered to go get the board and ship it on. it was $16 to send it fedex to the next person, but I did get to ride it for the weekend. was fun to ride a different board. about 50% had signed it, which kind of made it neat, but the board was somewhat beat up. funny twist, when I sent it on, the guy in eugene rode it then sent it back to me :)
got a nice hyperlite hoodie for going to pick up the board tho(don't remember who on here bought it off me as it was a 2xl). house was total white trash complete with broken down cars and pitbulls watching the place. she had it for 6 weeks and had no intention of sending it on.

ok, back on topic, depending on cost i'd be in, but I think just a single board or possibly 2 would be the max for the year. need to give it some time in each stop for weather related delays,probably start on the east coast and wind up either in the pac nw or up in great lakes area. due to the cost of customs, what about our northern neighbors? I know it's expensive to ship there so would one person be saddled with the costs of crossing the border? rather than having a drawing, as someone might win it that didn't like it, but a price assigned at the end of the year accounting for use/damage? that cash would help fund the next year? I'd consider buying one that I liked, but more for the sig's from various parts of the country from fellow skiers owners :)

jmvotto
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
cool concept, like more details. us northerners would be in the middle of the chain. south east, north east , north mid west, norwest, pac northwest southwest, Mid south middle america back to fl or vis versa based on seasons.:confused:

kaneboats
03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
My thoughts:

1. Nodody without 100 posts on here can play. You have to be at least a semi-regular.
2. Definitely let the northies have it in their summer months.
3. Have an auction at the end for what's left of the board.
4. Start one maybe every other month with a break from Nov. to Feb.
5. If you don't ship when you are supposed to you are done forever.

wolfeman131
03-03-2011, 03:23 PM
sandm - THANKS for the "watchouts"
kaneboats - I like your rules

I have found that there is fantastic interaction on this site for those that are "regulars." Take Ian's coolie-tastic group buy. Sure, it wasn't a bunch of coin, but I still felt comfortable sending the guy a PayPal payment with the expectation he'd come thru with the goods.

I've purchased a number of items from people on the boards and haven't had a single issue. Most of us divulge enough info that I have always figured if somebody tried to pull one over on me, I could track that person down pretty dang easy.

Ever seen what one good whack from a 3 lb maul can do to some fiberglass?

Other thoughts/ideas?

sandm
03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
kane has some good points. perhaps start with one board and a 3month trial and see how it goes. def. like the fact that you must be a regular on here. will encourage those that aren't that are interested to start participating.
not to exclude or start something, as I have a supra, but I would think to start with, limit it to this board? I'd bet you will find 10-15 that will be interested. should make a good board $20 per person and then shipping.. still unsure about the canadian thing(no offense) as my experience is that it's awfully expensive to get stuff there??
I like the auction. perhaps silent? put the cash into a new board making each subsequent(sp) go around cheaper :)

wolfeman131
03-03-2011, 04:11 PM
cool concept, like more details. us northerners would be in the middle of the chain. south east, north east , north mid west, norwest, pac northwest southwest, Mid south middle america back to fl or vis versa based on seasons.:confused:

I was thinking of maybe 4 boards with one in each quadrant of the country - NE, SE, SW, NW and a simple rotation from one area to the other. Maybe we can look at what sandm suggested and leave a particular board in an area for a longer period of time for all participants in that area to enjoy.

For example: we have a board in the NW for 4 wks that sandm, newty, mmandley & cab pass around & share then forward on to the next area.

Canuckle Head
03-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Not so much as expensive rather it's a hassle because Customs is gonna want to tax us thinking it's a purchase. I would be interested and I do make it down to Portland at least once or twice in the summer time so logistically I think I could make it work. I would be in if you accept your northern brethren. :p

Or maybe I could work it so I could hook up with Cab, Mandley or Newty. Been trying to get a hold of Newty as I have a question for him about his transom lights. Anyone heard from that guy lately?

sandm
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
just keep in mind that the more boards, the more the expense, and most pro shops have a demo program, at least up here, where you can rent a board for $20 and that rental goes toward purchase. if there's a board you really like, or down to 2, usually you can get a couple of demos out of your $20 if you know the dealership real well.
I can't see putting $50-100 in for a board, using it for a week, getting another and having to pay for shipping to the next, then having to either take a chance at an auction or paying more again for a board once they have been around the horn?

BobP
03-03-2011, 05:47 PM
While I like the idea, seeing our experience with shipping the Inland Surfer Blue Lake last year, I just see this as more trouble than it is worth. It might be easier for folks to find local dealers that allow demo rides.

KG's Supra24
03-03-2011, 06:19 PM
For what its worth ... My walker arrived broken.

skylar18
03-03-2011, 06:44 PM
KG,

You have got to be kidding me........That sucks dude.

Kane, Can I add all my posts from the Supra site to here so I have more than 100 posts so I can play?

Canuckle Head
03-03-2011, 08:01 PM
For what its worth ... My walker arrived broken.

Sorry to hear that. Did they not package it properly or was the shipper mean to it?:confused:

KG's Supra24
03-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear that. Did they not package it properly or was the shipper mean to it?:confused:

Since i could see the tip of the board before i opened the box, I'm going to go with a combination.

Canuckle Head
03-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Since i could see the tip of the board before i opened the box, I'm going to go with a combination.

So now what happens?

KG's Supra24
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
So now what happens?

LOL!! That happened in November. I'll keep you posted on what happens .. :rolleyes:

Walker said they would fix it, said its fixed, I should be seeing it soon. Not the first time I've been told this, though, so we will see. I'm doing my best to keep my cool but it needs to get here before the first trip out.

wolfeman131
03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
More good points, especially on the shipping. BobP and I learned the hard way that FedEx can be unkind to a board.

But, from that experience I would hook up with an old friend that works for a box company and have some custom made triple wall cardboard shipping boxes made up and then also make sure they went out with plenty of protection on the nose, tail and sides. I'd post up how I shipped them out and would ask participants to do the same. FedEx did come through with an insurance check on the Blue Lake for me and while it isn't as pretty as it was when Bob shipped it, it still rides like a dream.

sandm - great point that this might not be for all, especially those that have a good proshop at their disposal. I think in the Atlanta area there is only 1 shop that isn't associated with a dealer and the non-SC dealers haven't been real good to work with around here unless you're ready to buy a boat from them.

Ah, Canuckle Head . . . what can I say? I wish we could make it work better for our Northern friends, but I think the customs issues would create too much hassle & expense.

deerfield
03-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Hey, can i change my no vote to a "yes"? I want to try surfing behind my Outback, I just got nothing to share in return, except maybe water skies and tubes.

rdlangston13
03-03-2011, 11:27 PM
I'd be interested but if it came to me while I was at work it may be awhile before it can be sent on because as of right now I work 550 miles away from home for 28 days straight...

wolfeman131
03-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Hey, can i change my no vote to a "yes"? I want to try surfing behind my Outback, I just got nothing to share in return, except maybe water skies and tubes.

Sure thing & there's no requirement to share anything in return except pics and what you thought of the board(s).

mapleleaf
03-04-2011, 12:32 AM
I think the rules are great, haven't really chimed in hear much, but trying to more. Could it be opened to the Supra board or would that be getting a little complicated? I really like this idea, we had a coozie buy at Supra last yr that had the feel good something's on its way vibe.
I'm in MI usually for the beginning of the summer and would definitely contribute some $$ to demo a board for a couple days....PS no broken down cars or pitbulls uphere..

kaneboats
03-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Kane, Can I add all my posts from the Supra site to here so I have more than 100 posts so I can play?

I think we would be inclined to give 50% credit for posts on the supra board. :)

jmeacham
03-04-2011, 01:22 PM
My thoughts:

1. Nodody without 100 posts on here can play. You have to be at least a semi-regular.

VERY interested and trustworthy. I had better get to posting! My point is that I have been a member since 2008, but haven't been particularly verbose on the message boards. Would hate to miss out due to my posting habits. ;)

Thanks!

Jeff

sandm
03-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Jeff,
didn't realize you were that old..

FamilyMatters
03-04-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm in if it's around $20 + Shipping (Though I haven't checked on my number of post) I could probably save Wolfemans shipping and pick up from him. Guess I'm going to have to learn to Wakesurf this summer. Can you do that behind a DD?? I have a Big Family for Ballast!

Darren

FamilyMatters
03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Ooops! Count me out, I'm only at 49 post well 50 Now! That's one a week for this year?? Guess I'll catch Next years Board Share! Is 50 enough to buy a shirt?

Peace
Darren

jmeacham
03-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I'll vouch for Jeff. He and I went to kindergarden together

Ahhh, The good ol' years! :) Thanks Ed!

11 Outback V
03-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I guess I better get my post count up.
This is one more

11 Outback V
03-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Hey this makes 50.

Tied with FamilyMatters....

Man this could take all day and really piss some peolpe off if I just keep posting......:rolleyes:

kaneboats
03-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry. What did you say?

11 Outback V
03-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Me just posting repeatidly will probably piss a lot of people off but it will get my count over 100 :D:rolleyes:

trebor-75
03-05-2011, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=jmeacham;127632]VERY interested and trustworthy. I had better get to posting! Haven't been particularly verbose on the message boards. Would hate to miss out due to my posting habits. ;)

Im in the same boat (no pun intended) as you Jeff, I do a ton of listening but not much talking. I don't think I'll make 100 by this summer, but this is great motivation to get me posting more so I can get in on next years! :)

2007 Outback V
03-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I was thinking of maybe 4 boards with one in each quadrant of the country - NE, SE, SW, NW and a simple rotation from one area to the other. Maybe we can look at what sandm suggested and leave a particular board in an area for a longer period of time for all participants in that area to enjoy.

For example: we have a board in the NW for 4 wks that sandm, newty, mmandley & cab pass around & share then forward on to the next area.

This could work! I like the idea and Kaneboats rules sound good. Would having a lead person in each quadrant to coordinate the boards route with the other participants be a good idea?

New Guy
03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I would be in for it. Just don't send the board yet the lakes are a little hard in Wisconsin yet:p

Lawdog
03-07-2011, 01:47 AM
He isn't.

We went to a kindergarden that was pretty academically challenging.

I was the only kid in class that had a driver's license

I didn't know they required drivers licenses for horse and buggies :D

mmandley
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Im a little concerned with the Posting matters to your trustworthiness of this site.

I dont liek the rule of having to have 100 posts, all this does is make people spam post more for the count.

Kane is a legal type if i recall. I think that he should draw up a contract that states all these people have a right to use the board, and someone keep everyones contact info. If you have the board and dont send it out by a certain date then you will be removed off the share list.

If you keep the board and try to make it your own then the legal document says who rightfully owns the board. As for who owns the board it should be put up to a vote for that Region and this way the boards have a home in the off season.

Im sure Kane can conjure something legal up in this experiment.

I like the idea of a NE NW SE SW boards only because i know for a fact i dont want to ship boards from OR to FL and plus with the NW we would need a little longer to share a board as our weather is more hit and miss for time on the water.

rdlangston13
03-08-2011, 02:48 PM
my only concern is having to have it sent to the next location by this date or that date. if we are only allowed to have it for a week or so and it get to me while i am at work then there is no way i will be able to use it and send it back by the designated time. unless we can coordinate the shipping date with a date that i am home

kaneboats
03-08-2011, 03:27 PM
You just forward that retainer and we'll set up a meeting.

The 100 count wasn't an absolute rule, it was an idea for preventing folks from hearing about it on WW and coming over here for a free board. If some guy comes over here and spams 100 posts we'll know who he is and he still isn't getting a board shipped to him.

mmandley
03-08-2011, 07:51 PM
I hear ya Kane i was just saying LOL. On the retainer huh wut?

RD yea thats the exact reason i think some are worried but you have to think about those in area like the NW that the summer is short and if you hold the board a few weeks well then some might not get it.

This is all part of what makes it sound good and bad at the same time LOL

kaneboats
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Here's some free advice-- if it sounds bad to you -- Don't do it!

11 Outback V
03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
How about having everyone sorta pair up so that no one person ends up w a board. Not for use but to be able to go to that person and pick it up if it is not forwarded. or just put up a cc number so if you dont send it their cc gets billed?
I know my opinion doesnt count yet because I'm not at 100 posts yet:cool::cry:

ericnel
03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
I am new to this board and also tho the Moomba family. I would really like to get in on this board sharing program. I live in Knoxville Tn so I think I am close to some of you. Please let me know what I can do to get in on this program.

Thanks,
Eric Nelson
2007 XLV Grasvity Games
Jabsco Pump upgrade

PS. i did the first Heatercraft group buy.

wolfeman131
03-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Well, looks like this isn't going to happen this year. There were only 11 that responded "Yes" and a few of those were our Northern brothers. I think the shipping/customs issues with The Great White North would be too problematic.

So, that leaves only a handful and some mentioned throwing in $20-$50, but that wouldn't buy a single high-end board such as an Inland Surfer.

Maybe we'll try again next year.

sailing217
03-16-2011, 09:36 AM
I'm a Centurion owner and I'd bet the guys at CenturionCrew would add to the numbers (and Jeff owner of Inland Surfer and Drew Danielo are active members, hint donation hint). I like the rules as a general guideline.

If some have less than 100 posts, get someone to vouch for you or post up your Ebay history. I do this on Craigslist to show I'm legit seller with history.

Agree that Canada needs their own program as shipping through customs is double-time, and double-money (done it before).

In 3 weeks I'm going to test out my new-to-me mint TWP Comp X 5.0 that is a board for my crew members over 200lbs. Something like this as a 'loaner' to get started would be best. Would love new boards but price/risk would be an issue. That said, some highend boards are just too delicate for this program like my TWP James Walker Sig or a Stixx Comp, and i hear Grindwater too. Skims and Inland boards I know can take a beating. Probably need two different weight classes of over/under 200lbs.

sailing217
03-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Give me a few weeks and if this thread dies, I'll see about getting one together with Centurion members too and contact board companies about donations. If it remains to us, then used 'loaner' boards like my crew board that I can do without looks like a way to go. It was only $200 to start with so much easier to loan out.

CentCrew also has a small but very active group and i feel comfortable being able to vouch them.

ie. shipping a skim across the US is about $24. A blue lake size is about $42 via fedex.

KG's Supra24
03-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I would be interested, just have been a little confused on how the cost is going to work into this.

If you could get a vendor to donate a board and then at the end of the season it is up for bids to buy from them, i think that would be a great idea. It gets their product out amongst all of us and im sure the board will get sold at the end of the year through the bidding process.

Damaged boards are going to be a concern. My TWP came in busted the first time around.

kaneboats
08-28-2013, 02:34 PM
This was a great idea that completely died. I wonder with so many more board makers now if this could actually happen.

rca
08-28-2013, 03:14 PM
This must have been kicked around before my time. Sounds like a great idea to me and I know we have good relations with a few board manufacturers (Soulcraft, Phase 5, Doomswell...). Maybe we can work out the geographic area switching thing now. We definitely have concentrations of members in certain areas-PNW, Texas and Goergia area for some.

Lets try again.

jsly04XLV
08-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm down. At least for the Georgia group. Although I'm not loaded with boards like some.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

bergermaister
08-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Our season is fading fast here - maybe start to line it up in the spring and run it through the summer?

Probably be best to start from the south and work their way north...

clarkely
08-29-2013, 05:18 PM
sounds like a neat idea ..... on paper .....reality is it looks like a lot of work for someone....

may be interested ........ have a broadcast 4'8 for my kids - we havent used it yet....picked it up dirt cheap from a friend who couldnt make enough wake.... and i bought a fish for my fat a$$ ...... if i see it is working for me i will probably look at the triple X nitro pro x

E4NASH
08-29-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm down. At least for the Georgia group. Although I'm not loaded with boards like some.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I have a Broadcast 4'8" I might be up for using. It's for sale too btw

kriley
09-19-2013, 08:15 AM
If it is not to late I would like to get in as well!! We bought a Moomba this year - had an old 99 Supra comp before - Everyone in the family loves to Wakesurf!! I went by Pull Watersports yesterday to buy my 13 year old son a better board (currently using a fish sized for the whole family) and they where sold out till new models arrive....

wolfeman131
09-19-2013, 10:55 AM
If it is not to late I would like to get in as well!! We bought a Moomba this year - had an old 99 Supra comp before - Everyone in the family loves to Wakesurf!! I went by Pull Watersports yesterday to buy my 13 year old son a better board (currently using a fish sized for the whole family) and they where sold out till new models arrive....

Love the folks at Pull, but not sure what they are going to have that might meet your goal.

I have this for sale in the classifieds and I live in Metro ATL:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?23039-Phase-5-Prop-wakesurf-board-350

sandm
09-19-2013, 01:40 PM
My original post that I stand by with some revisions. I doubt that some of the surf style guys would like their stuff shipping all over the country as too much risk of breakage and as the forums have grown, so too would be the number of interested, but you still never know where/when it's going to get hung up and done.

this was done on ww a few years ago with a wakeboard/bindings. I don't remember who the pro rider was that hooked it up, but long story, board got held up here in boise by some white trash. I volunteered to go get the board and ship it on. it was $16 to send it fedex to the next person, but I did get to ride it for the weekend. was fun to ride a different board. about 50% had signed it, which kind of made it neat, but the board was somewhat beat up. funny twist, when I sent it on, the guy in eugene rode it then sent it back to me :)
got a nice hyperlite hoodie for going to pick up the board tho(don't remember who on here bought it off me as it was a 2xl). house was total white trash complete with broken down cars and pitbulls watching the place. she had it for 6 weeks and had no intention of sending it on.

ok, back on topic, depending on cost i'd be in, but I think just a single board or possibly 2 would be the max for the year. need to give it some time in each stop for weather related delays,probably start on the east coast and wind up either in the pac nw or up in great lakes area. due to the cost of customs, what about our northern neighbors? I know it's expensive to ship there so would one person be saddled with the costs of crossing the border? rather than having a drawing, as someone might win it that didn't like it, but a price assigned at the end of the year accounting for use/damage? that cash would help fund the next year? I'd consider buying one that I liked, but more for the sig's from various parts of the country from fellow skiers owners :)

trmaggie98
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
A month or so ago we saw a map thing that went around. What if we used the same idea, people posting they are "in" and lets see what the geographic layout would be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)